3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: North Carolina or Virginia hunting  (Read 250 times)

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
North Carolina or Virginia hunting
« on: October 28, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
Hi all I hope to spend Thanksgiving with my daughter in North Carolina . Any one have recommendations for a good basic hunt in N Carolina or Virginia the week be for or after thanksgivin ? Deer - Hog - etc .

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: North Carolina or Virginia hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
What part of Virginia are you looking at Richard?
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
And where in NC?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Ah...saw in an old post you're going to be near Raleigh.

Try here:

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Hunting/GameLand_Maps/Piedmont/Butner_Falls_of_Neuse.pdf

There are archery only zones, which, will not require orange once there, but while walking to the archery only areas and crossing the other zones you'll need blaze orange.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
My daughter is in Raleigh , but I can make time be for or after thanksgiving so could hunt on my way down or back as I we'll be driving . Thank you

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
The above game land is only minutes from Raleigh off of I-85.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
I've asked the DNR folks about blaze orange on archery only zones twice.  Same answer both times.  If it's gun/muzzleloader season, you have to wear orange even if you're on the archery only zones.

The regulations used to specifically exempt the archery zones from orange, but they took it out about the time they let everyone use x bows.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
Did some researching last year for an archery zone near me. I read differently but will double check.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
Called a wildlife officer I know. Waiting on a return call.

But in the mean time I researched that actual statute here in NC, which is the real source to consider:

§ 113-291.8. Requirement to display hunter orange.
(a) Any person hunting game animals other than foxes, bobcats, raccoons, and opossum, or hunting upland game birds other than wild turkeys, or hunting feral swine, with the use of firearms, must wear a cap or hat on his head made of hunter orange material or an outer garment of hunter orange visible from all sides. Any person hunting deer during a deer firearms season shall wear hunter orange. Hunter orange material is a material that is a daylight fluorescent orange color.
This section does not apply to a landholder, his spouse, or children, who are hunting on land held by the landholder. This subsection shall be enforced by warning ticket only until October 1, 1992, with respect to those hunting rabbit, squirrel, grouse, pheasant, and quail.
(b) Any person violating this section during the 1987 big game hunting season shall be given a warning of violation only. Thereafter, any person violating this section has committed an infraction and shall pay a fine of twenty-five dollars ($25.00). An infraction is an unlawful act that is not a crime. The procedure for charging and trying an infraction is the same as for a misdemeanor, but conviction of an infraction has no consequence other than payment of a fine. A person convicted of an infraction may not be assessed court costs.
Wildlife Enforcement Officers are authorized to charge persons with the infraction created by this section.
(c) Failure to wear hunter orange material in violation of this section shall not constitute negligence per se or contributory negligence per se. (1987, c. 72, s. 1; 1991, c. 71, s. 1; 2007-401, s. 4; 2011-369, s. 5.)

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
Hi How crowded is the Bunter bow Olney zones , and how hard are they to find ? Thank you  Rick

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »
The archery only zones are easy to find.  Take a look at the game land maps on the NC Wildlife site.  Click "Hunting", then "Where to Hunt", then "Public Land" and you'll see a link to the gameland maps.  Check out the key for how the archery zones are identified and you should be set.

The only times I usually see anyone else is on Saturdays.  Of course, during the holidays folks may be off etc....

As for the orange.  Twice this season I've heard firearms fire in the archery only zones.  So whether it's a poacher or an illiterate hunter, I don't want to get shot (or give $25 to the warden).

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
It's an angry squirrel hunter shooting at the squirrels that are mockingly screaming "Sanctuary!!!"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
Got the return call from the officer. Statute above applies.

I did find an interesting bit of information while searching the statutes:

15A NCAC 10D .0102 GENERAL REGULATIONS REGARDING USE
(a) Trespass. Entry on game lands for purposes other than hunting, trapping or fishing shall be as authorized by the
landowner. The Wildlife Resources Commission has identified the following areas on game lands that have additional
restrictions on entry or usage:
(1) Archery Zone. On portions of game lands posted as "Archery Zones" hunting is limited to bow and arrow hunting and falconry only. On these areas, deer of either sex may be taken on all open days of any applicable deer season.

This is of particular interest to me as Uwharrie has an archery only zone but limits either sex harvests to the first six and last six days of the regular gun season. This means either sex harvests are legal in the archery only zones the entire season.

This should be of interest to those using the Butner-Falls of Neuse Game Lands as well:

Butner - Falls of Neuse Game Land in Durham, Granville and Wake counties
(A) Six Days per Week Area
(B) Deer of either sex may be taken the first six open days and the last six open days of the applicable Deer With Visible Antlers Season.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©