3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Solid Colors???  (Read 205 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
Solid Colors???
« on: October 28, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
Anybody hunt in solid color wool on the ground??If so how does it compare to plaids??Solid green,gray????
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Solid Colors???
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
I think it works just fine!!!!!!!!!!   :thumbsup:  

Plaids are good!!! But if you look around, there are lots of "solid" color objects in the woods One of my favorite hunting jackets is a solid green Johnson's Woolen Mills jacket. I sit on a stump & look just like a little pine tree!!! This year I'm wearing a dark gray L.L.Bean jacket, with thin red & green pin stripes. (barely noticeable) I was hunting the other day and had a little 5pt buck walk by about 15 yds while I was standing next to a big Red Oak tree!!!!!

(Would have been an easy shot, but I filled my buck tag last tuesday... But hey! I'm not complaining!!!)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
A few years ago my brother in law showed up for a scouting trip after work in a white t-shirt. As we approached a field I let out a few yelps with my mouth so anything in the field would think turkeys were all the noise.

As soon as I did a 2 toms answered a couple hundred yards away. We sat motionless and a few yelps later we had 3 big toms at 30 yards white t-shirt and all.

That day and all my gun season close encounters in Carhartt eventually caused me to rethink my clothing options. I like to just set infront of a tree or blow down. For black and red oaks I like dark wool. For white oak, poplar and beech I like lighter colors.

I really think we tend to over think every aspect of hunting. If your still and have the wind your usually good to go.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Btw, A "busy" camo pattern like Realtree or Mossyoak, can at times, be WAY better than ASAT or Predator!!!!! I have a picture of my son Tyler sleeping against a stone wall, that I took last year, on his first opening day of Bow Season. He was wearing a mix of Realtree & Mossyoak, and if it wasn't for the Blaze Orange & Chartruse feathers on his arrows, You'd NEVER be able to pick him out!!!!!

I'm not a "believer" in the "blob effect"..... There are lots of "blobs" in the woods... "Blobs" blend in too... "Blobs" are GOOD!!!!!   :bigsmyl:

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
I do use camo but mostly before cold weather sets in. Otherwise I will either use a plaid wool jac-shirt or a solid olive wool jac-shirt, both heavier wool cloth. For days like this weekend where the mornings are frosty but it warms up I have a Malone plaid which is a heather grey with almost inpercepctable green and red pattern probably the same as Woodchucker mentioned. From a distance it looks grey. Sunlight and shadows create a natural camo on it as the light changes during my sit. I try to stay in shady areas to blend in and like Rob I love large tree trunks. Saturday I had squirrels playing at my feet with the Malone jacket on and some brown Carhartt pants on. I don't think it matters if you are not camo'ed.
Member NCBA

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
I hate to use the "yuppy" phrase...

But think "earth tones" when you're picking your hunting clothing.

(or browsing the GoodWill store!!!)   :thumbsup:

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
Solid color on the ground ... you bet!

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
I've never seen a plaid tree but I've seen plenty of gray ones.

http://www.shrewbows.com/wool_shirts/

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »
Looks good to me.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
I think texture matters more than pattern. Wool I have some grey woolens that work great for late season. I believe the texture diffuses light better than a flat surface.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©