3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: who enters their stand before sunrise/in the dark?  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: who enters their stand before sunrise/in the dark?
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
I have been in my spot as early as 1 hour before light. Depends on where I am going to sit. I have spots that the deer show up early enough you can only see the movement.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
I nearly always go to the stand in the dark in the am(1/2 hour or so). I like to let everything settle down and then hear the woods come alive at daybreak.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
I usually wait till pink light. I have jumped to many deer going in before daylight. They start blowing and stomping alerting every deer around. I see more deer by stalking to my stand slow quiet and easy.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
That's good stuff Ryan. I hadn't thought about that. Hmmmm

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
it depends on where i am going. if i hunt near a green field or if i have to walk through one to get to my tree i will wait and walk in at day light. i will bump deer 90% of the time if i try and go in earlier. it all depends on where i am hunting

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
I always try to get back in where I'm going early enough to get up in the tree just before daylight. I don't like to get up in stand when no moon or pitch black dark..I get a form of vertigo when I can't see anything and up a tree..wierd feeling.

It's about an hour and a half walk so I don't always make it. I use a headlight and have a light in my hand to reach out an see my trail.

Walked up within 10yds of a bedded doe two days ago way before daylight.

Walked to within 10yds of this buck yr before last right exact spot where he's laying in the trial cam picture from last yr. He never even looked my way and I had two lights on him..never even got up..bout hour before daylight.

Most deer I come across on the way in I get close to and they eventually run or walk off..very seldom blow.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
Usually 45 mins before light. I too don't use a light if possible, but also like the woods to settle

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
"I am usually in my stand an hour before shooting time. I never use a flashlight."

I'm curious as to how you find your way in the dark? Here in the eastern woods where I hunt, I sometimes get turned around or confused even with a flashlight. Now, some of my stands are a mile back in the woods too, no woods roads, no reflective tacks either.
N/A

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Daylight only when I know there are gun hunters in the area. Otherwise it is dark thirty o'clock going in to the stand.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
Thank you Ryan. You just into words what I could not describe.  Makes total sense.  

Justin
Hill

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
Depends on the stand! If I am hunting a stand where I have to cover an open field to get there I always wait and glass the field before crossing! If its all woods I like to go in under complete darkness!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
I always go in before first light.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
I guess I will have to go in even earlier, after seeing trail cam pics of a big buck that was on a trail at 0230 this morning.   :knothead:
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
About an hour before daylight.
Sam

Offline Blog on Bottom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
I haven't hunted from trees for over 20 years, but sometimes I hunt stationary from the ground. My thoughts are that if you can't get there at least an hour before shooting light, then you ought to wait until after light so you can sneak in quietly. That is, unless you have noiseless walking to your stand - such as in a damp field or something like that.
I think that a person walking in dark woods alerts every deer within 100 yards at a minimum. Yes, the deer might think it is another deer, but not usually.
Others may have good luck going in 30 minutes prior, but I prefer otherwise.
"Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ---C.S. Lewis

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
For me this depends on the situation.  Sometimes I need to be in the stand an hour before daylight.  Other times I find it beneficial to make my way to my spot after sunup...it gives me the opportunity to still hunt along the way.  

Most of the time, when bowhunting, I try to be up a tree early.  With a firearm, I like for it to be light enough to see what I may happen to come across on my way in.  I've killed a lot of deer just easing through the woods, looking and listening, with both bows and guns.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
I use to get into the stand a good 30 minutes before shooting time. I have bumped lots of deer over the years doing it. I have also just gotten settled in and have a nice buck walk by before legal shooting or light enough to pick a spot.

This year I lost sight in one eye and found out the 1st couple attempts that you get real clumsy with one eye in the dark. So this year I had to wait for shooting light to safely get to my stand.
PBS  Member

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
Most of my stands are a mile or so off the road in big woods so I start my walk to them in the dark, but try to time it so there's just enough light to see the last few hundred yards to my stand.  Enables me to sneak in much more quietly. I seldom spook deer that way, and have had them come by before I was able to pull up my bow and pack. I spooked many more deer when I used to go in in the dark.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
I go in before daylight with a light. Everybody spooks a few deer from time to time if they are close whether or not a light is used. My belief is that the light will not spook them any more than my noise and movement walking in. I do try to get on stand with all my gear squared away well before daylight, preferably an hour or so. That way the woods settle down and deer moving into the area at shooting light will not be disturbed.
Sam

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
Depends. But rarely get settled in stand very long before pink light. Not so sure flash lights spook deer- my experience is they will let you approach to within shortage yards before they spook. Now, if I must cross a crop field I always wait until pink light so I can see the field is clear.  

My guess is this all varies depending where and how you hunt.

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©