3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: who enters their stand before sunrise/in the dark?  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: who enters their stand before sunrise/in the dark?
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
I would rather still hunt my way in and get shot opportunity  than going in the dark and blowing the deer out . Im  in and ready  about 8/30. I see more deer around  noon  . But I'm way in and hunt the benchs up top
Dan Breen

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
I would rather still hunt my way in and get shot opportunity  than going in the dark and blowing the deer out . Im  in and ready  about 8/30. I see more deer around  noon  . But I'm way in and hunt the benchs up top
Dan Breen

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
I am in my stand before sun up and have bumped them going in and going out. But most of the time if I see a deer in the am in is before the sun is up but light out.

I have killed all my deer with a bow in the evening. But have seen a bunch in the am. just never had a shot or just blew the shot.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
I always get there 20-30 minutes before first light. And, I use a flashlite. I believe the sooner you're there, the sooner things "settle down". I've seen many deer at first light. I also try to work the wind on the way in.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
I 'hang and hunt' since I hunt public land.  I decided this year that I wanted to try mid day hunts.  Knowing that I wouldnt hunt all day, I decided to go in about 8AM and Hunt til 2PM (or dark if the schedule allowed).  Luckily the spot I was hunting allowed me to come in from an angle that wouldnt push any deer off.  I ended up shooting my buck around 10AM and I would have normally been back home by then.
>>>--------->

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
I get in early when I can and late when I cant get in early.  Then again, I hunt just any deer.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline tkytrac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
I have a hard time finding my judos in the dark. I shoot all the way across the fields til I get to the woods. Shoot before I get down. Confidence builder. Make sure all the clothing is in order w/ no restrictions. Everything works...every time.

So I go in at daylight. Out after dark.
Charter Member of Compton Traditonal Bowhunters
Recording Secretary for Michigan Longbow Association
Associate Editor of MLA's STICKTALK Magazine

Offline WAC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
I try to get set up before daylight but I have shot a lot of deer between 10:30 and 2:30, with most being shot around 11:00. I think the only reason is because I am still in the stand when others have left.
1 Corinthians 16:13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be MEN of courage; be strong.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
I hunt public go in early I'm late if I am not on stand1 hr before light, if you have a chunk of land you can control the pressure and manipulate entry and exit routes to stands via plantings ect then I could see the entering after light.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
Only time I wait to go in after light is, the phase of the rut where more movement is from 10 am and 2pm, which in the Midwest I'd 10 November on.

By then a little extra sleep is helpful.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
On a side note, I have hunted missouri for 20 years kansas and iowa for the last 10 years.

What works in one place won't work in another, location, pressure has more effect on what deer do. So I have found the deer at your location dictate what your plan will be.

Once I threw every book and magazine away and started to learn from the deer in my situation the lightbulb went off.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
I do both, I hardly ever sit the same tree twice. If I know I can slip in quiet and walk straight to my tree Ill go in before light. If it is a new spot or there are alot of obstacles ILL wait until there is enough light to see. By the way a green or red filter on your flashlight will aid in not spooking game. I prefer green. I will say there is something special about being in a stand before light and watching the woods slowly come alive around you!
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
I do both, I hardly ever sit the same tree twice. If I know I can slip in quiet and walk straight to my tree Ill go in before light. If it is a new spot or there are alot of obstacles ILL wait until there is enough light to see. By the way a green or red filter on your flashlight will aid in not spooking game. I prefer green. I will say there is something special about being in a stand before light and watching the woods slowly come alive around you!
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
1 - 1 1/2 hrs before sunrise for me.

Bisch

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
Keb, "What works in one place won't work in another, location, pressure has more effect on what deer do. So I have found the deer at your location dictate what your plan will be."

Agree totally, remain flexible.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
My best buck came from iowa,I had to cross a wide open cornfield to get to a woodlot, I could not wait till light because the wood lot was to small and the deer would have spooked.

At 3am I entered that woodlot.

Offline dingas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
I try to be in by half hour before if sitting a stand, but honestly usually coming in right at legal light. Partly so I dont have to carry a bow case (must be encased before/after shooting light) partly cuz we got big coyotes (bush wolves as they are often called - they are a cross) and they have followed me out before after dark (felt like I was being watched, checked the prints next morning - yep - two of em) they make me nervous ;0), but usually mostly cuz I slept in ;0) Only time I have seen Big bucks on the property I hunt has been between 10am - 2pm

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
I prefer to get in 20 minutes or so before legal light. But I do not sweat it if I am getting in a bit later.

Years ago I would get in an hour or more before legal light and end up napping in the tree until showtime. I know it is shocking but in those days safety was not such a big deal.

As for the light I prefer to use one, not so much to see but to be seen. Even if hunting private land I prefer to use it.

The weather also plays a big part in how early I go in. This year we were in the teens with high winds and some of our guys were out an hour before light. I thought that was crazy.

I do remember one old timer talk about going out at 2-3 am and taking his sleeping bag and setting up. But he was after a big buck and had him pattered.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
I have always been in my stand before daylight, usually much too early but this year I started going in when it was light enough without using a light. Never spooked any deer at all.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
If there are pigs in the woods you hunt and if you are not winded, I don't think making noise, in the dark, is as much of a factor. I've heard a lone pig make more noise than I could make while toting a 24' alumunim extension ladder thru the woods. But then again, that's just me.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©