3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting at leaves  (Read 738 times)

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting at leaves
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
Hi I use judos in the deep leaf cover of the north east . I use rubber blunts for tree shots or when the leaves are not deep . I shoot 125gr. now , when I shoot heavier wood I raped copper wire around the judo .

Offline ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
I am really liking the Hammer head

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
Nerf type balls work well
Can often get them at a dollar store
Arrows dont glance off them like a whiffle ball.

For those dead eye guys ping pong balls are good.
Even come in glow in the dark!
Slickhead

Offline Bob Baur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by The-Talon:
Why has no one mentioned flu flus?  
I'm with you. I always carry a flu flu with a 145gr Hammer blunt glued on.

I just tried the Hammers this year (was using Judos) & they are the cats meow! Hit the grass at an oblique angle & the arrow stops in less than a foot. Judo's never did as well!

Leaves are an excellent target! As good a target as you will find. Couple months ago I saw a YouTube vid of some German guy that did some roving on a course he had setup. Some of the targets were foam blocks he had dangling by strings. I thought it such a good idea that I took an old cheapy foam target I had & sawed it into 4 small blocks (don't do this inside, you will find your wife's sense of humor isn't what you thought it was)& hung then by some twine from trees in my stumping area. They are great fun targets as well but you gotta hit them pretty close to center or else your arrow zips on through the corners.
Black Widow LAG 49#@28

Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD. -Psalms 27:14

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
90-95% of my practice is on leaves.  I can wander through the yard or the woods and have plenty of targets.  Also shoot at leaves on bushes.  I break some arrows (they're wood, so not that expensive) shooting between trees that are too close together-really makes you concentrate on the target, not what's in front of it.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
I was sitting in my pop-up blind which I used in years past with my recurve. I cracked the tip overlay on my recurve and haven't had a chance to replace it, so I took my 61" Holm Osprey with me last night. It looked like I had about 2" clearance at each limb tip, so I thought I'd shoot a field tip and make sure I could get an arrow out without hitting the limb tips. I shot a field tip at a really bright green leaf at about 12 yards. Guess what totally disappeared. I pulled out an arrow with a judo tip and proceeded to drill that leaf. After dark, I pulled the arrow with the judo tip and looked for 1/2 hour for the arrow with the field tip. I may find it someday, as I know right where it went in, but I sure couldn't dredge it out of the leaves last night.

Judo tips for me!
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
I recently picked up some G5 small game heads (sgh).  They seem like the best of both worlds, stop in the grass, but have enough punch to bring down small game.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by tracker12:
Reverse the direction of the arrrow and put the nock end up.
That's what I do with the VPA heads too... Works great!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
Another Vote for Good Old Judos!! I havent found a Head Yet that I cannot Lose to the Dreaded Grass Monster in one way or another! Havent lost a Judo Pointed Arrow Yet!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
Judo points or rubber blunts .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
I bought 2 judo points 3 yrs ago and still have them both...however they do like to hide under leaves and tall grass. Generally speaking they stick! However if you pick a precarious spot with a thick background be prepared to hunt for it!
Choose this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
I shot leaves yesterday with a rubber blunt over a steel blunt. Try hitting a leaf that is hanging from a spider web and swinging in the wind.
Member NCBA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©