3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cooling / aging time  (Read 756 times)

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
Cooling / aging time
« on: October 29, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
I don't have a walk in cooler.  So, after I take the hide off my kill, I quarter up the parts, and put them in "clean" trash bags.  Then, I just put the bags in the workshop frig for 3-4 days to cool.  After that, my wife and I process the meat / FoodSaver the parts from there.

Saying all that, here's the question:  If you also use trash bags to put your deer meat in ... which ones do you use?  It seems all the new trash bags have a perfume / pesticide smell to them, and I'm not keen about putting my meat within (but see no other choice).

Thanks in advance!

David
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cooling / aging time
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
I've never bagged my meat during cooling. If I have to put them in something, I use game bags to let the meat breath and cool.  I'd say if you want bags without the perfumes, the large contractor bags you get at the home improvement stores made from 6 mil poly will do the job, odor free. They are also much larger, and by far stronger than household bags. They do however cost more.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
According to a butcher/sausage maker I took meat to a bunch of years ago, never, never, never use garbage bags only clear plastic bags.  Perfumes, pesticides, and whatever else they put in them for 'garbage' is not good for your meat.  

I would add that if you are aging meat it would probably work better in game bags so the meat can breath.  Part of aging meat is the reduction in moisture content and that happens best without plastic bags.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
Tall white kitchen force flex no scent.

I hear you shouldn't use any plastic garbage bag especially the black ones.  I am open to options but I also have to quarter and pack in the old fridge much of the year to cool.

I honestly can't tell any difference to meet hung in cold weather skin on our bagged in my fridge.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »
It has become tougher to find untreated bags. With that being said, I use heavy cotton game bags anymore.

Throw them in the wash w/bleach and they are good to go again.  Has worked fabulously with deer, elk, antelope, and moose.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Do the game bags leak much? At times I have to pack meat in the same fridge as our food until I can cool down and transport.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
Also does anyone know of a source for good size food approved plastic bags?

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by xtrema312:
Also does anyone know of a source for good size food approved plastic bags?
X2
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
If you happen to know anyone that owns or runs a restaurant or any kind of food service business...ask them to order you what you need from their broad line restaurant supply company. Sysco, US Foods, Performance Food Group or whoever they use. They can get you just about whatever you want in a variety of sizes big or small and the price is usually pretty good.

Also, the trash bags they sell, generally in black OR clear ( many restaurants prefer clear to keep employees from actually throwing away equipment) come in various thickness and a multitude of sizes. Never experienced a restaurant grade trash bag with any perfume, odor etc.  Again, you can get cases if these things for comparably good prices.

If you don't know a restaurant owner...if you frequent a place quite a bit and the owners know you...don't be afraid to ask for the favor. They generally do multiple orders a week and it isn't much if a problem to add a couple cases here and there. Offer them an extra couple bucks for their trouble...or maybe a little bit of your fresh meat for their personal dinner!!

OR....if you live in or near a decent size city find a good restaurant supply store. Talk to them about getting what you need. Good ones will stick a variety of bags for food prep and storage. They can also order special sizes. Might cost a bit more but all will be food safe and restaurant size cases might last you a while.
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
Yes, restaurant supply stores will carry what you need, or even talk to a local butcher shop and see if they will sell you enough to cover a deer each year.  Don't use the garbage bags.

ChuckC

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
if you have a few more minutes when quartering just debone all the meat and use large stainless bowls with plastic wrap draped over the top.  Or, if you have the time just process asap and get it frozen.  Meat doesn't seem to care if it has been frozen or not before aging and if you plan ahead just thaw the cuts you want to eat in the frig a few days ahead of dinner.  Works great for me.  

I'll use bags to get deer out of the woods using the 'gutless" method but they go directly into the stainless bowls and into the frig when I get in.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
Uline or Consolidated plastics sell food grade poly bags.

I just get the pieces small enough to go into 1 gallon freezer ziplocs.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
I would never want to put mine in a plastic bag of any kind if it is even the slightest bit warm. Game bags pillow cases anything that will let the meat breath
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Can't substantiate this statement, but read numerous places that the enzymes in meat, interact with the chemicals in plastic trash bags... regardless of scent etc.

I won't do it!

Here's a trick I picked up living in MT and I've done for over 30 yrs now:

Get a small package of Crisco. Once you skin your deer, use a flat blade to scrape off an residual hair or leaf litter, etc, and wipe each stroke on a paper towel.

Once clean, rub some Crisco on your hands and rub lightly over the entire carcass---INSIDE and outside.

It seals the meat and prevents that ugly dark "crust" from forming while your meat ages. Being its a vegetable "fat" it does not turn rancid in the freezer.

I put a light cheese cloth bag for deer over it to make handling easier.

If you cut into quarters for the fridge, then no bags are needed with the coating of Crisco!

Try it. You'll like it! Helps to handle with paper towels till you cut it up.  I wipe it down with paper towels before I start cutting but usually leave my carcass whole if I can.

I've taken out the shelves in an old fridge, and stood one up on a diagonal.  Sweet!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
if you have a few more minutes when quartering just debone all the meat and use large stainless bowls with plastic wrap draped over the top
X2

The only other thing I do is put a small plate upside down in the bottom of the bowl so blood can collect there. I debone the hams while hanging either in the field or if I bring it home whole which is rarely now adays. Lot easier to debone while hanging.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
I bone my deer in the field and pack out. Then put in old refrigerator. But don't put the meat in anything. Air needs to get to it..also don't let it lay one side too long, keep flipping the parts to stop moisture from collecting.

The outside will turn dark and dry and you will have to trim a litte more..but it will age better this way.

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
Definitely don't put the meat in plastic bags.  They don't breathe and are breeding grounds for bacteria.

"Aging" isn't beneficial unless conditions are carefully controlled.

We hunt late here, in very cold conditions.  We have trouble keeping deer from freezing.  Trust me: you won't know what fun is until you've tried to peel a frozen deer.

Anyway, that means we package a lot of deer within hours of harvest. They are every bit as good as deer that we've hung longer.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
Southern deer cooler-
Take one igloo cooler... Put 6-8 in ice across bottom....
Lay meat on top,....

My twist...
   Two 5 gal buckets in garage
    Place a piece of 2x4 on one bucket, set cooler on top of buckets
     With drain on bottom end
   Keep drain open and let drain in one bucket
    Check ice and refresh as necessary... Under meat not on
       top...
   Process after 4-5 days....or when convenient...

Don't laugh, it flat out works and coolers are food safe...

You can either wipe down with bleach or fill cooler with water and oxy clean (let sit 4-5 hrs...not very convenient after you have a deer to cool )to sterilize cooler so it is sanitary...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
I use the cooler method also. Quarter it up then place it all in the cooler except for one ham that goes to a local BarBecue place to cook on one of their pits. Anyway put in a bag of ice then fill the rest of the way with water. Just drain the water every day and refill with water. You may have to put more ice in if it melts. After 4 days process it and put in vacuum bags and seal it up. The doe I did last year taste like beef and not venison. The way you can tell is the texture is like venison. My daughter swears she wont eat deer but with it tasting like beef she eats it and doesn't know. Shhhh! Don't tell her. Lol!
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
Thank you for the info gents.  

Doc Nock, Jen and I will try your idea, and see how it works.  I hope to go out tomorrow, mid day and be back with either a deer.  And if that doesn't work... a turkey will do just fine too!

David
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©