3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cooling / aging time  (Read 755 times)

Offline wandering monk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cooling / aging time
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »
I use an old refrigerator in my garage to age boned meat...I call it my Poor Boys walk in...

I turn the temp to as close to freezing as possible .I have plywood shelves on the racks, and use waxed boxes with the meat lightly covered wit some clean cotton sheet material.

I flip the meat around about three times a week...and take away any drainage.

I do this all since I dont have access to a meat locker...and sincerely believe that letting meat age at least a week at 33-34 degrees really helps make the meat more tender (less chewy) .The meat gets that really nice pinkish color too...I read that there are several enzymes that occur naturally at those low temps that help break down the meat a bit ...the good steak houses all do something very similar to get their meat real tender,usually in those huge walk ins etc.

after having to bone and pack out meat in warm weather years ago and going straight to the freezer just did not give me the results I like with Deer, Elk and similar.

this method has worked perfect for 30+ years...my ritual of cleaning up the old reefer every september is just another preperation that tells me its my favorite ytime of year again!
ted/wandering monk
public land pope & young
public water 20"er

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
I used the cooler method in Fl..works great. Another method with rank hogs is to use the cooler method only pour grapefuit juice in along with the ice.

To age meat the right way you need a walk in cooler where you can hang it and dry refrigeration with fans.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bobby Urban:
if you have a few more minutes when quartering just debone all the meat and use large stainless bowls with plastic wrap draped over the top.  Or, if you have the time just process asap and get it frozen.  Meat doesn't seem to care if it has been frozen or not before aging and if you plan ahead just thaw the cuts you want to eat in the frig a few days ahead of dinner.  Works great for me.  

I'll use bags to get deer out of the woods using the 'gutless" method but they go directly into the stainless bowls and into the frig when I get in.
That's what I do too.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2013, 01:00:00 AM »
deer bags, bed sheets, or cheese cloth is the only way to go. Hang it outside in a shed or your garage where it can get some air.. if its warmer out the meat will age quicker.... use your nose. sometimes i'll hang one 3-5 days in cold weather. in warm weather i may cut it up the next day....

the nose knows when its time to cut and wrap....

its the natural decomposing process that makes the meat tender... i wrap with butcher paper and don't use plastic at all... 02 cents...

if you don't have a place to hang your deer in a cool place, don't age it at all. cut it up and wrap it, or take it to a butcher.

Offline jindydiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
I put loose meat on top of a folded tea towel in a tray and cover with another tea towel. Legs are just propped up with a tea towel under them to catch any leakage. A few days in the fridge and then bagged and frozen as I get to it.
We have a second fridge in our kitchen just for our deer vegi's, makes life pretty easy.
Here is a full fallow deer in the fridge waiting for some spare time to cut it up

Mick

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
i just use mutton cloth and hang the meat for a couple of days then put in the freezer wrapped in cling film. job done   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©