3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Against doctors & wifes orders!!  (Read 1783 times)

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
Against doctors & wifes orders!!
« on: October 30, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
On September 28th I had my right ankle shattered in a auto accident due to the careless act of another person. I had to undergo emergency surgery that left me the owner of 2 screws, 4 pins and 12-14 staples. I have been laid up since then. But yesterday, my father along with my 2 brothers showed up at my house to erg me to go bow hunting. They said they would load me up on a deer cart and drag me into the woods!! LOL. To be honest with you, it didn't take much convincing!! After a quick shower we was off with bows in hand!
 We arrived at our property with eager anticipation and determination to get me into the woods. On our way in we came across numerous deer signs,,rubs & scrapes.

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Against doctors & wifes orders!!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »
Getting back out in the woods is the best kind of therapy!

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
My brothers had me on a deer cart dragging me to a place next to a stand on our property that had good cover and plenty of sign. They unloaded me around 1:45PM and off they went. After sitting there for about 45 minutes I decided it would be truly hard for me to get off a shot without being noticed. I then decided to hobble over to the tree stand that was only a few yards away. I said, I can climb that, shouldn't be that hard? Took me some time, But I did it!! Shattered ankle and all.
 After being in the stand for about an hour a red fox came by and decided to take a nap right in front of me for a couple hours. He was out cold too!!

Offline KevO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
It's good that you are out but be careful!

Offline southernwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
That's neat. Glad to see your determination!
SUA SPONTE
68" viper deluxe long bow 50#@28"
64" hickory self bow 50#@28"
60" pronghorn 3 piece R/D long bow 63#@28"

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »
That is awesome!  Take it easy and have fun!

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
Good medicine right there!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »
Very cool with the fox. Sounds like you owe the family a few brews for coming through for you. I totally understand the need to get out there, I've hunted more than a few times against doctors "orders". hehe
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
Good for you! I feel your pain I have been laid up since the end of June with a ruptured Achilles tendon. Getting in the woods was what kept me from going crazy! Mother Nature is the best therapist but watch that ankle climbing into tree stands! Sounds like you have great brothers for hauling you out on a deer cart. Good luck on your recovery.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
Glad you have good family to help you out bro.

Just take it easy buddy.
If ya don't you'll be recovering much longer.
Dr.'s normally err on the side of caution...but they're generally not dumb.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
I am glad that you were able to get out!

If the body is broken or sick, it will usually heal up, but if a broken body leads to a broken mind, you have the potential for serious long term trouble. I would say that this trip was good medicine for your mind and your body both. But be CAREFUL climbing into treestands with a broke ankle!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
Then at 4:10PM, (the time my wife gets home from work), I receive a text from my wife, HEY!! Where are you!!!!   :mad:   Before I can reply I receive 2 more text from both my brothers, OH!! YOU'RE IN TROUBLE!! Hahahaha!! Ugh!! I just replied, sorry Honey but boys will be boys. She failed to see the humor!!
 I then noticed the fox was up and looking towards the thicket behind me. He then walked over to where I placed my James Valley Wall Hanger, gave it a whiff and moved on up the hill.
 I decided to grab my grunt call & rattle bag and give it a whirl. I hit the grunt call a few times with a short session with the rattle bag around 4:30PM. Within minutes I hear what I believe a snort wheeze from the thicket behind me. Then I hear heavy sparring coming from the same direction. After a few moments of silence I decided to hit a snort wheeze. Then I heard deer moving towards me!! A 6 pointer emerges from the thicket directly behind me at 20 yards!! He stood there for several minutes looking behind him. I could see a slightly bigger 6 pointer about 15 yards behind him. With one swift move of aggression, both bucks was going at it 15-20 yards directly to my left!! After several minutes of heavy sparring I decided to take my shot at the larger 6 pointer. As I was drawing my arrow the 2 bucks put their heads down and started going at it again!! I was confident and let my arrow fly!! But at that very moment the smaller buck dug in and pushed the larger buck slightly back!!! UGH!!! My arrow hit hi in shoulder blade directing forward and down!! My buck took off with my arrow in plain view buried hi in his shoulder directing down. The other buck just stood there looking as if he just won. I watched my buck run up the hill then down the hill to the creek bottom to where I lost sight of him at about 125 yards off.
 I then text a friend about the hit because I didn't have to much experience on such hits on deer. I gave him about 40 minutes before hobbling down out of my tree stand. With crutches in hand and bow strapped to my catquiver I worked my way to where I last seen my buck. I picked up the blood trail immediately!! The blood stated thinning out and I was ready to back out and wait. But I looked up ahead and noticed a ton of blood!! So I started following ever so slowly. For 25 yards the blood was horrendous!! I said there's no way a deer can bleed like this and not die!! The blood trail was heading straight for the creek on our property!! Then as soon as I reached the creek, there on the creek bank,,,

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
Tuned in and enjoying the story. Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
:campfire:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
Dude! I'm so happy for ya that you was able to crawl out! Then to slam a buck! Just awesome. You made good use if your time!

Those red fox are beautiful
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline long time archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
Good on Ya! Be careful, though--don't need a repeat from even a slight fall.

Understand your readiness: spent over a year with chemo that reved up my immune system to allow my body to fight stage 4 lung cancer (melanoma), and just didn't feel like hunting. Didn't pull a bow string for over a year. But once I got a little head of steam up, I was in the woods. What a great dose of medicine!!

Best of luck!
long time archer

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »

You can see my broken arrow with my broadhead slightly sticking out in front lower part of the front shoulder.

I want to truly thank my friend, another tadganger, who helped me by giving his experiences with such hits. I also want to thank my father and 2 brothers who helped me get into the woods and my deer out of the woods!!

Also to say sorry to my doctors and wife!!! LOL!! Some things are well worth it!!    :biglaugh:

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
Excellent!

Offline long time archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Excellent! x2
long time archer

Users currently browsing this topic: