3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Schmeisser broadhead?  (Read 730 times)

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
Schmeisser broadhead?
« on: October 30, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
Any body use these or ever seen them in person? I am thinking about geting them,even though the high price. But I have not decided yet. I like the barbed Idea, I can use them here in tn. used to couldnt but now we can. I just like the idea of lets say i get a heart shot, but no pass thru, the broadhead staying in the heart lungs area just working away as it runs and the heart pumps. Just my thinking.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Schmeisser broadhead?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »
I understand your point.

I'd have a VERY hard time spending that kind of $$$ on a B-head personally. But if you're cool with that who am I to tell ya otherwise.

Any b-head I've tried that was barbed or even slightly so was quite a bit more difficult to pull from targets.

Depending on your needs, if you wanted a less expensive barbed head take a look at the zwickey cliff. Little less cut too if you had any worries there.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
My experience is such that I'd rather not have the arrow stay in the deer at all. If I don't get a pass thru, I want the arrow to back out as easily as possible. For that reason I started beveling the opposite side of my Grizzly single bevels years ago. Makes them easier to pull from targets, too.

The reason I don't like to have the arrow stay in the animal is that where I hunt is pretty thick and if the arrow stays in the animal they seem to really panic when the arrow brushes against a tree or bush and take off. I think this results in a much longer blood trail as the deer tears off through the woods.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
two schools of thought and I subscribe to both I guess.  If it is going to be in there it may as well continue to do damage but I would rather it come out as quickly as possible for the above mentioned reasons.  I think a sharpened trailing edge is the best option for continued cutting - much better than a barb - but that is just an opinion and we all know what those get us.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bobby Urban:
two schools of thought and I subscribe to both I guess.  If it is going to be in there it may as well continue to do damage but I would rather it come out as quickly as possible for the above mentioned reasons.  I think a sharpened trailing edge is the best option for continued cutting - much better than a barb - but that is just an opinion and we all know what those get us.
x2 plus that seems ridiculously expensive to me, man that would push your arrow value up to nearly 40bucks or so. Very cool looking though!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
Good looking head. Personal thought on barbed designs and performance: If the hit/head doesn't produce death fairly quickly, the odds of recovery decrease over time. Barbed heads may contribute to increased mortality, but the time they take to produce it might not improve recovery. On non-fatal hits, I would suspect additional wound complications arising from a head which cannot back out. The animal might survive, but have infections and more severe permanent injuries. Something to consider.

I don't think there are any studies which conclusively prove that barbed heads contribute to better recovery rates.

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
Thanks for the imput guys! I never looked into it, but i wonder if the Cherokee indians in my area made arrow heads barbed or not? I would say they mae both, but I wonder what was the most common? Just food for thinking

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
Barbed heads are illeagal in my state. The reason being was when they drew up the laws for bowhunting they realized that on marginal or poor hits the arrow cant come out so the animal can recover, instead a slow agonizing death.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Does anyone have the case study done to say that barbed heads contribute to the oft quoted slow and lingering deaths they cause or to the non barbed heads just backing out and a deer going on to not die a lingeringing death? It all sounds speculative to me.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
Does anyone have the case study done to say that barbed heads contribute to the oft quoted slow and lingering deaths they cause or to the non barbed heads just backing out and a deer going on to not die a lingeringing death? It all sounds speculative to me.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
Just ran across this thread…

Yeah speculative Bigbadjon, and haven’t heard of any studies, and would be impossible to do, but it only makes sense.

Tend to agree 100% with Kevin…

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
I agree with StanM,,, I'll be filing all my grizz's too not only to pull from targets but it just makes sense to let the arrow back out of an animal if it wants too,,, barbed heads are illegal here in Mass last I heard.

Originally posted by StanM:
My experience is such that I'd rather not have the arrow stay in the deer at all. If I don't get a pass thru, I want the arrow to back out as easily as possible. For that reason I started beveling the opposite side of my Grizzly single bevels years ago. Makes them easier to pull from targets, too.

The reason I don't like to have the arrow stay in the animal is that where I hunt is pretty thick and if the arrow stays in the animal they seem to really panic when the arrow brushes against a tree or bush and take off. I think this results in a much longer blood trail as the deer tears off through the woods.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
Some states may have regulations preventing the use of barbed heads, so be sure to check up on that in the areas you plan to hunt.
Sam

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Barbed heads are legal in 45 states I believe. Believe what you guys will but if you shoot a deer even with a shouldered head the arrow will not just slide out and a deer go merrily on its way. It will probably still fester and die.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
Agree with bigbad... most of the law forbidding barbed heads came about in the 50's when anti-bowhunting articles hit several of the popular periodicals of the time touting "pincushion" deer.

Howard Hill favored the barbed head for the reason (and my own experience bears it out)that an arrow protruding from the off side of an animal is more likely to snag brush and be pulled clear of the wound.
A broadhead hitting heavy bone is not likely to back out. If it doesn't hit heavy bone it is likely to pass through.

I've seen it time and again.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 06:33:00 AM »
Actually, I checked a reference and ten states prohibit barbed broadheads.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
Regardless of the legalities, I have compassion for the animal and wouldn't want to see one suffer with a barbed head on a non-lethal hit...

bigbadjon - "even with a shouldered head the arrow will not just slide out and a deer go merrily on its way. It will probably still fester and die.It will probably still fester and die".

Not necessarily... Had a total of 7 wounded deer  coming to my backyard feeder late last winter and all wounds seemed to be either broadhead or slug wounds and 4 of the 7 were broadhead scapula hits. Aside from swelling and limps, all survived until April's green-up and matter of fact, seen one yesterday and aside from the limp, seemed to be still getting along fine.... Amazing animals

Happy Turkey Day!!!

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
`This is a question more than a statement but after reading Dr. Ashby's Reports on Penetration am I the only one wondering about the effectiveness of a broadhead shaped like boomerang?

Offline Exit Felix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
All I can say is that they are sharp and strong.  My PH's client got a complete pass through on a Cape buffalo cow with a 70 lb wheelie.  They should be very effective.  I have no opinion either way with regard to the barbed shape.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
Just looking, I don't see a lot of difference between this head and an Alaska Bowhunting Silver whatever (formerly German Kinetics Silver Flame) that has been modified by removing the rear corners.  The shape looks to be the same.  If the SF can do it, I am guessing the Schmeisser can too.

ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©