3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best affordable climbing stand  (Read 845 times)

Offline BassBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Best affordable climbing stand
« on: October 30, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
Folks,

I have the opportunity to hunt some protected public land in the near future. I will have little time to scout and think that a climbing tree stand might be in order. To this point, I have been a ground hunter due to the fact that I have two boys that usually accompany me on my outings.

Do you have any suggestions for affordable, safe, and light climbing stands?

Thanks!
Toelke Classic Whip 48# @ 28"
Big Jim Buffalo 51# @ 29".

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best affordable climbing stand
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
For hunting with a trad bow your choices are pretty much Summit Open Shot or Lone Wolf Hand Climber
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
Michael, if you lived closer I have one you could use.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
All climbing stands are pretty pricey these days.  I would say to think about the lone wolf hand climber.  Super light and you have all the room in the world to make a shot with a trad bow when the time comes.  I just bought one new for $289 so that's about on par with most stands now days.
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Ol'Man Alum-Lite.  Front rail can be removed or lowered to be used as a foot rest. I think it is under 18 lbs. Its very simple to setup even in the dark.  Seat is comfortable. Grips tree well.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
Lone wolf - with new flip seat is great but more pricey!
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline BassBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
Thanks all! I'll Check out the lone wolf.
Toelke Classic Whip 48# @ 28"
Big Jim Buffalo 51# @ 29".

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
I've been using the Lone Wolf hand climber for more than a decade and plan on using it for another. My hunting buddy has the open shot and loves it. It really boils down to what you are willing to spend. Both are great choices, but find the lone wolf to be quieter.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Summit Razor is also an option.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
I have to go with the lone wolf hand climber also
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
Affordable is the tough part.  If $400 is affordable then I'd say Lone Wolf.  After using a couple of different climbers i would either save up for a Lone Wolf or go without one.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
Yes. Though not cheap. The lone wolf hand climber. If you need a sit and climb and don't mind the heavier model. The lone wolf sit and climb with hazmore seat. These stands are so quiet and pack the best.

For all day sitting comfort and price summits.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »

Summit bushmaster.

Best stand I've owned, and very very customizable! The seat is very comfortable, and it packs up and down within two minutes. Not much heavier then a lonewolf considering the comfort. I love this stand.
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
Lonewolf handclimber.
 That is based on owning both a Ol'man climber and a summit before I bought the Lonewolf.

Also I thought I'd like the lonewolf sit and climb so I bouhgt the sit and climb top and after using it a few times I went back to the handclimber top.

The Lonewolf handclimber also makes it nice to pack into the woods with a small backpack attached to the lonewolf.  I do not fold up my stand like the directions say, just take it off the tree after you use it, slide the traction belts back into the slots and set the top section upside down on the platform. With the hand climber top upside down on the stand it makes a nice "pocket" on the stand to hold your pack while you backpack your stand into the woods. A Bison Gear lost river fits perfect on it.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
My favorites are LW Handclimber by a long shot and then Summit Openshot.

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
I've been using a trad bow from a climber for the last six years, and I'm currently shooting a 68" Howard hill. That being said, I have no  problems  using my summit viper, which has shooting rail. My point being  don't be afraid to look at stands with a shooting rail around the top, it provides extra security (I'd say its close to impossible to fall out), and  being able to lean on the bar has definitely helped me shooting some odd angles. Good luck with your hunt!

Ps: many times you will find older "classic" summit model stands at stores for the $150-$175 range.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Open shot.  One on CL near Toledo for $100
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
Bassbow,
I will go against the grain here.  You can hunt out of whatever climber you would like to.  I hunt out of an $80 climber from sportsmansguide.com.  It was very heavy so i wouldn't recommend it but for $80 tyd, its hard to be beat.  They currently have a #16 climber for under $150, which is as cheap as you will find.  Don't worry about the bar in front of it, just practice out of it and you will be fine.  

Here is a link to the stand.  When asking opinions remember that some people only like certain brands, some people only like American made products, some like this, some like that.  Be sure you don't let someone elses opinion affect your decisions.  
 http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/api-outdoors-aluminum-marksman-climber-tree-stand.aspx?a=1332952

I hope this helps.  As far as climbing stands go, you wont find a cheaper one for this price that is aluminum.  

Daniel
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
Ol man alumalite got it- nice comfy stand... Not as portable as I like... A lot of set up... Doesnt go in the thick stuff that well.. a very good stand, just when going deep... or not sure of the perfect place... more stand than I want to carry in and out each time.... Mine is locked to a tree on a side of a hill and will stay there till NOV 15 unless I need to move it a lil bit....

Summit Bushmaster- cabelas old open front  stand... Lighter and very portable... This one is my go to stand for climbers.... It is pretty comfy to boot... If you can find a used me... Grab it!!!

Lone Wolf Assault- great light portable stand... Allows me to hop around quietly... Not as comfy as the other two, but is light with 3 sticks... Easy to shoot from... Fits almost any tree and gets used about 3x as much as the other two combined... Almost 2x the price of the summit though...

It is better to be in the right tree instead of the almost right tree, 90% of the time...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:
Bassbow,
I will go against the grain here.  You can hunt out of whatever climber you would like to.  I hunt out of an $80 climber from sportsmansguide.com.  It was very heavy so i wouldn't recommend it but for $80 tyd, its hard to be beat.  They currently have a #16 climber for under $150, which is as cheap as you will find.  Don't worry about the bar in front of it, just practice out of it and you will be fine.  

Here is a link to the stand.  When asking opinions remember that some people only like certain brands, some people only like American made products, some like this, some like that.  Be sure you don't let someone elses opinion affect your decisions.  
  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/api-outdoors-aluminum-marksman-climber-tree-stand.aspx?a=1332952  

I hope this helps.  As far as climbing stands go, you wont find a cheaper one for this price that is aluminum.  

Daniel
Best advice I've read here.

When I first started out I let other affect my thought on a stand. I thought I HAD to have a lonewolf to be a hardcore hunter....

Bought both the hand and sit and climb climber. ..

Granted both are probably the lightest you will find as for climber, and they pack up probably better then any other stand... But I was always extremely uncomfortable. I could spend 3 to 4 hours tops... After that I was done. I will pack in a extra few pounds in a climber if it allows me to sit for longer periods of time. End result.... You wil get a bagoozle of answers, make sure you try one yourself before you commit.
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©