3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer down in Cajun Country  (Read 409 times)

Offline Kajun Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Deer down in Cajun Country
« on: October 30, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
Well the Good Lord has blessed me with my second traditional deer harvest.  I hunted October 3 and got killed by mosquitos.  I hunted October 9th to a cool crisp morning and saw nothing.  I was anxious to give my spot another try and grabbed my Blacktail recurve which is 52 lbs at 28 inches.  I love this bow.  Norm made it with a diagram of my hand, and it is a beauty.  
I hunt on 1100 acres of fly leased land in Oakdale, La.  It is a 75 mile drive from home in Breaux Bridge, La.  True Cajun Country!  I left at 415 am and settled down in my stand at 0600.  I am hunting an oak flat with a Millineum Loc on at 20 feet high.  We are allowed to bait here, and I had corn out at 10 yards from the tree.  Maximum visibility is 25 yards.  I killed one last year with my recurve at 23 yards.  This morning a small button buck arrived at 0720.  Temperatures were a warm 68 degrees with skeeters beginning to buzz.  The light was just getting good in the woods when he came in.  The deer was on edge.  I had jumped deer twice in the oak flat the previous weekend, but no shots with the smoke pole.  I had full camo with war paint on my face to break up the glare.  The deer came in to the flat from the right.  I stood when he wasn't looking for me.  When he started to feed, he was quartered to me.  He was constantly putting his head down for a nano second then jerking it up. I hate to take that kind of shot, but I felt he would bolt.  I can't remember pulling back, hitting anchor, or releasing.  I guess that is why they call it instinctive archery.  The arrow hit high, the deer spun around, and ran for life.  I could see the arrow hanging out the other side when he was running.  I heard him crash after a short run and sat down to shake for 5 minutes.  I texted a friend who is curious about primitive archery and told him to hold congratulations until the deer was recovered.  I gave the deer a half hour and got down.  I found my arrow 5 feet from where I shot.  The arrow was soaked with blood, but had fecal matter on it.  I waited a bit longer and took up the blood trail which was very good considering the angle.  The VPA 3 blade 125 head works wonders.  I trailed the deer through the thickest briars and small trees it could put me through.  Sixty yards latter, I found the trophy.  A button buck, but my second trad deer in two successive shots.  The deer entered on the through the back strap, 3rd to last rib, transected to diaphragm, probably hit the liver, gut and exited out the opposite hind leg.  I can never believe how these animals run like this after they are hit.  Forgive me for not having pictures.  I can't find a cable to attach from my I phone to the computer.  Nice 80 lb deer.  Was able to share the experience with a few cousins and a new member on the lease.  A great day.  Now to hunt the large 8 pt that hits the oak flat at night.  He will have to play during the day soon.  The rut is beginning to kick in in that part of the state.

Offline Kajun Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer down in Cajun Country
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
I meant to say the arrow went in at the backstrap.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
good job.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
nicework!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
Great job Kajun Archer.  I'm so ready to get in the woods this weekend. Good luck with the rut in a few weeks
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
Congrats!

BTW, you can use the same cord you charge your phone with to plug it into the computer........or.......you can email the pics to yourself from the phone and download them out of the email to your computer!

Bisch

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
Way to go - two in a row!!!  :clapper:
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
A Meche from Pont Breaux killing deer with a Blacktail.  That don't happen everyday.   :D
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
Congrats Vernon. Where is your club I have some land and camp there at the Parish line on Hwy 10 about 4-miles from Oakdale maybe we could break bread together one nite if you are close by.Kip  :wavey:    :campfire:

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
Congrats!
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Kajun Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
Kip,
It is just called Meche and friends. My cousins and  I are six Meche's with their kids, and 4 friends about 6 miles South of Oakdale

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©