3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Decoy in Open Woods?  (Read 647 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Decoy in Open Woods?
« on: October 31, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
I know decoys are best used in open fields , cut corn, beans and the like....has anyone used them effectively in open hardwoods?

I have an area I hunt that see good bucks every year far off, call to them, they come but only as far as they can see where the other buck(me) should be and hang up....look for a while and move off. I'm seriously thinking of buying a decoy to try to change things this fall.

I think  in the open woods it would be just the ticket to help seal the deal...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Decoy in Open Woods?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
I was thinking doing the same.  I have a piece of open hard woods in Westchester, where I've seen a few P&Y class bucks that I want to try a decoy.  I'll be watching this one.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
Yes..I have had several come in and not scare...as long as they are not surprised by it suddenly. .they come right in...especially a decoy buck thats not in an aggressive stance...
Think about it..they see bucks in the open woods all the time..at least thats what I thought when I first did it.
Lu 11:21  When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
I have used them in several different sets in open bottoms in KS with good results. As long as the deer can see a good ways they work very well. I always use a buck decoy.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Guru,
As long as they can see it, I think it will work.

I've hunted large blocks of forest all my life.  It truly is an entirely different ballgame than hunting woodlot whitetails.  Much, much more difficult in my opinion.

One thing I started doing probably 20 years ago was when I'm hunting major blocks of timber consider open hardwoods to be a field.  By keeping that in mind and, then, being able to recognize the edges within the block of woodland I increased my success rate (both seeing and harvesting) dramatically.

I much prefer to hunt woodlot deer.  They are easier to pattern, easier to approach, and more concentrated.  That's not always possible for me and I often end up on huge blocks of National Forest here in Virginia.

Huge blocks of timber in our mountains can be very intimidating for people that don't have experience with it and the above advice is what I always give them.

But, back on topic, if its open hardwoods, then I say yes.  Should be very similar response to fields as long as you can insure the buck can see the decoy.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
I have had good success with decoys in the timber, a little more open is better.  I try to use movement, like a white tail ( cloth) tied to a string to flick it ... really helps man!  Also, I have used a turkey with mine and on occasion do a few turkey calls.  Deer get pretty comfy around turkeys, so I like to use one or two turkeys with my deer sets.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
I've had good luck in open timber. If it's outside the rut I opt for a feeding doe. That pose seems to work just about any time with less chance of spooking deer. I agree with others that it's best for them to see it instead of suddenly coming on it. I try to find a lane or more open area in those woods to set it up.  I have had to grunt at a buck before he would see the decoy in the woods.

Last year in WI I had a great time using a bedding doe with a buck standing over her. Getting ready to head back up there and test out some new poses we came up with. LOVE this time of year.

I always tell people decoys are like grunt calls and other tools…they don't work all the time but when they do it adds a little something to the hunt. If you know exactly when and where a buck is gonna walk then all you need is your bow and arrow. Decoys are for pulling deer you might not have gotten a shot into range.

Best of luck on your hunt.
CJ

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
It will work....go for it!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
Have any you guys used the cardboard decoys? It's my only option as my treks into public land are too far for a full size / weight decoy.
Choose this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
I have an old Flambeau rigid doe decoy with the removable legs & head. Over the years I've had limited success with it. That includes using it everywhere from fields to timber. I like to tape a piece of toilet paper to the rear and the slightest breeze will give the decoy some motion. Some deer have come close to check it out, others have ignored it completely or ran to the next county. I'd be interested to see how it works out for you.

-Brian

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
NY Arrow  Try a Mr Buck inflatable....its 3 d and works...just blow it up ....then open to deflate it...
Lu 11:21  When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
What do you consider open woods?  Able so see 50-75-100-150 yards?  I have an open spot that is 100 yards by 70 yards in the middle of a clear cut.  It is open with mature oaks.  I would think a decoy right in the middle of it would be great.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
Yeah I have a spot in open riverbottoms where big deer pass through randomly.   It's frustrating and I have thought often about a decoy.   I have used 2 dimensional ones but they have only spooked deer.   What decoy would you guys recommend?

Offline Trad Timmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
I borrowed a Boss buck decoy and had it standing at the bottom of a open woods hill just below a bedding area. The deer can come out peak down the hill 150 yards and see it.

So far the first time I had a doe fawn run all the way to the bottom and hang out for 20 minutes before moving on. It will work if they're in the right mood.

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 12:54:00 AM »
I have a fold up doe decoy that your more than welcome to try Guru. It folds flat and has a handle built in to carry it. I already shot my buck this year so u can just return it when its  convenient for u. Let me know if I can help out. Brad
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 06:41:00 AM »
I used decoys with success some 20 yrs. ago. They work best if set up so the buck your after can't get down wind of the decoy. I set mine upwind of a large blow down. Real hock glands from a recently killed deer will help if they do get down wind of the deke. Almost felt like cheating a little with the 2 bucks I killed using the decoy, as neither buck ever took their eyes off them as they came in.  I also tied an oak branch full of leaves to a rope in my stand to rustle, make noise, to get their attention. This really helps.
Tom

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 06:42:00 AM »
Good stuff here fellas....

I know there is no guarantee that it will work, and there's no guarantee they will see it from far enough away for it not to surprise them.....but I think I'm going to try it.

It seems that undoubtedly every year I call to far off bucks that will come, but only come till they get a good view of the area.....then walk off.

As much as I'm not looking forward to carrying more stuff into the woods....I'm excited about the possibility that it just might make a difference!!

But on the other side of the coin, if I have a good buck coming by through natural movement, and somehow the decoy spooks him before I get a shot.....well that will be a tough pill to swallow!!!

Babs,Thanx for the offer, but I think I'm going to be trying a buck deke. But I things change, like maybe in the late season, I'll get a hold of you bud....thanks
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 06:43:00 AM »
Tom, It sounds like you haven't used one in a while....how come bud?
Curt } >>--->   

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 07:01:00 AM »
Decoy stolen. Mine was not real portable. Home made from a taxidermy form and a big block of styrofoam. Faux fur for the ears and tail. Couldn't really just go out and buy one back then. I would leave mine in the woods stashed in a blowdown covered in burlap, and some jackwagon still found and stole it. It was great fun. One buck tried to get downwind and come thru the blowdown and actually got stuck trying. Thought he was gonna hear me laughing at his antics. He finally got untangled and came around the front where I did the business. Neither of the 2 I killed were big. But it was a great experience watching the show. Shot both before they got to the deke as I had too much work into it to see it get destroyed.
Good Luck, and yes you will have fun!
Tom

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 07:13:00 AM »
The rustling tree branch made all the difference in getting them to spot the decoy. Before that several bucks cruised nearby without ever spotting it. I don't like to grunt here in Mich. But that cuold be an option.
Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©