3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shrew Haven, here we come  (Read 3550 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shrew Haven, here we come
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
I got back late yesterday from the fastest 10 days of the whole year. I'm sad that it's over but it was as usual a wonderful time with a some of the  greatest guys a man could ever hope to spend time with..    :campfire:  

The success ratio was down considerably this year, we only took two deer where as in past years we averaged 6 to 8 deer on the pole.  Asking some of the natives in the area including our good friend who is the local C.O., there are many contributing factors, one of which was a visitor that we had roaming our 440 acres of private land plus the adjoining public land for most of the week. Three of our group were fortunate enough to see the big Wolf that cruised our hunting grounds as he hunted  for his share of venison. I didn't see any signs of any kills that he may have made but he sure made the deer nervous, they hunkered down and didn't move much when he was around....which was most of the week.

Here's Old Lobo's foot print next to my Swiss Army pocket knife.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
Your bow is..... UPSIDE DOWN? What exactly is going on there?
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jerry Jeffer:
Your bow is..... UPSIDE DOWN? What exactly is going on there?
Bow is upside right and quiver is mounted properly on the correct side of the bow.  Hint: Many Bear bows before the 1964-1969 era when the prefix number was used to ID year were based on 1) handle shape/wood 2)glass color 3) SILK SCREENS and single versus dual shelf.

As far as the wolf, I did see him cruising Banana Ridge one morning.  He was travelling east/west on the ridge similar to the bucks and the does/fawns usually are going north south.  This was my first ever wild wolf that I've seen and it left me in awe.  His gait was so smooth and had there not been crunchy snow on the ground, I would maybe not have known that the 'timber ghost' was even there.  Obviously it's a mixed emotion animal when it comes to game management.  We have our first wolf season going in Michigan this year and some agree with having a season and others don't. None the less, like the black bears we have in the woods with us there, it's another predator that we're sharing the woods with.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
I never get tired of looking at pictures of Shrewhaven!! Just looks like the kind of place a guy wants to go and never leave.

Ron or any of the guys that have been,  on the side of the lodge above the wood pile there are two squares one on top of the other that appear to be windows?? or maybe hatches to get fire wood??  Help me out, what are they?  The contractor in me is curious.

Offline jr1959

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
Ray, I'm guessing the silkscreen should be on the belly, not sure which year they started putting the silkscreens on the back.  Jim
'59 Kodiak 45# Gainesville 60" LH
Jim Hoker Woodspirit Bows 60#, 55#, 48#
Fox Royal Crown 62” 44#
Fox Longbow 66” 40#

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »
DT, those are boarded up windows.  I think one of them was broken and we just decided to keep them boarded up.  That old glass from the 1930's is pretty brittle and we have an elaborate window covering scheme to protect the windows from the birds/bears when we're not there.

There is a TV show called 'Discovering' that airs in the UP and a show/part of a show was taped at camp on Friday. The show is about capturing the romance and nostalgia of deer camp in the Northwoods.  It will air on Monday, November 18th and then be available on the website to view on-line after the show airs on TV.  I'll try to post the show on this thread and a new thread after it airs.  It should be interesting.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by jr1959:
Ray, I'm guessing the silkscreen should be on the belly, not sure which year they started putting the silkscreens on the back.  Jim
Yes, the silkscreen is supposed to be on the belly.  When I put it on after putting the first two coats of finish, I got a little excited an put it on the same side of the limb as what I did my 1971 Super Kodiak (which does have it on the back of the bow).  Anyway, I left it as it was, so now it's a little unique.  Kevin Marshall from camp also had a 60" 1957 Kodiak there that didn't make it in the picture.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
I did manage to fill a fall turkey permit with the old 1956 Bear Kodiak, 43#@ 28". I used some old 50's Bear forgewoods that Ray gave me tipped with Bear Razorheads.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
Here's some shots after the first dusting of snow. This is looking north up Armstrong Creek.

This is looking south as it flows through the thick swamp where the "Ghost Of Armstrong Creek" hangs out.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
I sure do miss deer camp.

That must be one of those dual shelf bows Ron?  You should have seen the gymnastics my mind was doing trying to process that turkey picture    ;)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
 That must be one of those dual shelf bows Ron? You should have seen the gymnastics my mind was doing trying to process that turkey picture  [Wink]  
Steve, When I started bowhunting in 1955 I bought a new 1955 Bear Kodiak, 52#. As far as I know that dual shelf was made for two years. I picked up this bow at the Elm Hall shoot this summer from Tom Frick who was selling it for a lady who's husband had it in his collection. It's in great shape for a 57 year old bow. I just wanted to turn back the clock and hunt with a bow like that again.

This was deer camp for Nancy and I in 1958 in the Jordan River State forest. We drank water from a little clear stream called Cascade Creek. Couldn't do that today.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
Those Bear Forgewood arrows were natures vintage 'carbon' arrow.  They're skinny shafts (thus the need for a 'headshrinker' aluminum adapter).  They're a little too short for me and I knew they were a light spine, so I thought of Ron's bow setup and they just seemed to be made for that.  The first arrow Ron shot into the practice target confirmed it--it shot like a lazer beam and it penetrated like the proverbial runaway freight train.  Those skinny shafts at 28.5 inches to the back of the head come in at 575 grains.  
[/url] [/IMG]  

[/url] [/IMG]

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
I must say that's some pretty cool stuff!! I'm glad you shared it with us!!   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:

That must be one of those dual shelf bows Ron? You should have seen the gymnastics my mind was doing trying to process that turkey picture  [Wink]  
Steve, When I started bowhunting in 1955 I bought a new 1955 Bear Kodiak, 52#. As far as I know that dual shelf was made for two years. I picked up this bow at the Elm Hall shoot this summer from Tom Frick who was selling it for a lady who's husband had it in his collection. It's in great shape for a 57 year old bow. I just wanted to turn back the clock and hunt with a bow like that again.

[/b]
Lots of great history there. I have a 68 Super Kodiak around from the year I was born for exactly the same reason. Thanks for keeping the tradition and camaraderie of deer camp alive.

:thumbsup:

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your hunt with us!!!   :thumbsup:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
It was wet and cold outside but in the evening the cozy cabin with it's wood heat and gas lights was warm and cheerful for out supper guest...    :campfire:  

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
Great pics and stories, keep them coming!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
The door on the right is my private room, "Lobo's Lair" A place where the Old man can slip off to bed early while the younger crew sometimes sits up late.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
I'll bet "Lobo's Lair" will also get you away from snoring    :biglaugh:

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
Great read.  Thanks for sharing.

"The Ghost of Armstrong Creek"...I'll bet there is a real good story in that statement!!!  Hope to hear it some day.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©