3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Alone  (Read 860 times)

Offline galadriel

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Alone
« on: October 31, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
Hi all.. I need some moral support on whether I should continue hunting. My hunting friend whom I have hunted with for the past 5 years rather suddenly ceased all contact with me in September.  

This was someone who introduced me to traditional archery and taught me everything I know about it.  I am a 44 yr old woman, single (this is NOT a dating ad fellas) and he is in his 60's- married w older daughter. He is building a name in the trad archery community so I will not disclose anymore info on him personally.  We were pretty tight buds so I thought-

In late August he was out of town with a couple guys to scout a public area of land for bear hunting.  He drove towards the nearest small town by himself while his buddies stayed back to scout the area.  
Along the way, while stopped at an intersection, he witnessed a fatal car wreck.  

The car that was hit was driven by a 47yr old dad and his 8 yr old daughter. The father died on the scene, the daughter survived. The driver of the pickup that hit them was drunk and also survived.

My (estranged) hunting friend whom I will not name- was the first witness and first responder to this event.
Obviously he was/is quite shaken from this and has not been the same since that event..
 my (?) hunting friend has not spoken to me in over a month, nor will answer my calls.  I don't know anyone else who hunts. and not having any camaraderie to share the delight of hunting, and all what is known about the deer woods and archery etc- feels lonely and strange. The desire to be in the woods and to hunt is still strong within me -much like an instinct -even without his companionship..

This forum is what keeps me connected to other archery by stick hunters.. You guys are so gracious and kind.. Thank you for reading..

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Alone
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Don't hesitate to hunt alone. 90 % of my hunting is by myself and I like it. You don't have to have others with you to enjoy yourself. You'll find you step up to a higher level hunting using your knowledge and not depending on others. Good luck!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
I would stick with it. If you only went out and sat in the woods and didn't feel like killing anything. Your friend might come around,and you might have to work on finding new hunting partners. I do 95% of my hunting by myself anyway.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
My hunting buddy and myself are two loners that sometime hunt together. 90% of my hunting is alone-go for it.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
I would keep at it!! Some of my best memories are of hunting alone. Sometimes it takes time to get over a tragedy or what one has seen. I would just give your buddy some space and let him come around when he's ready. All you can do is let him know that you still value his friendship.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
I would stick with it. Try to find another hunting partner. But, you said he is married. Idk if it had anything to do wih that crash as I was the first person to a horrific decapitation accidents years ago and it never really effected me. I would more so think his wife does not want him hunting wih you alone. Ask asked him to stop and he did to keep his marriage.

My guess. I would not take it in a wrong way. But out of respect for you and his wife walked away. And I would accept it as such even as hard as it may seem.

I would still hunt and find myself a new partner and continue your love for trad archery and hunting. Sometimes it is what it is and I would not dwell on it. Move on better things may yet become. So keep your head up!! Good luck!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
I hunt alone, and on public land to boot. I try to hunt as smart as I can. I go where I'm pretty sure there won't be other hunters. If the woods are crowded I stay out. I carry a knife in an easily accessible and visible spot and I carry pepper spray on my belt.

If by chance I run into someone in the woods, I make sure to mention my husband who is always "just over that way" (even though he is usually at home sipping coffee).

Many times I feel like I am both predator and prey, especially as other seasons overlap with archery. It's not ideal for me, but it's the only option I have right now.

Be aware and stay safe.

Offline dtarbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
I would sure keep hunting if I were you,all of my  hunting is done alone since my son moved and I still enjoy the experience and its great on the rare occasion when we have the chance to get together.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
Keep hunting, our community needs as many people out there as we can muster, particularly ladies.  It may be a little daunting at first, but stick to what you know and you'll be fine.  If you need help, the folks at TradGang will be the first to step up if you ask.

As for your mentor/friend, don't give up on him either, it sounds like he is likely suffering PTSD.  If I were you, I'd go over to his house and check up on him.  Let him know you're concerned about his wellbeing and you're available if he needs to talk.  If nothing else, speak with his wife and see how he's doing.  Hopefully he pulls out of his funk and renews your friendship.  

Good luck, both with your hunting and friend!

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
Most of my hunting is alone.  Keep at it if it is something you enjoy.  If you are ever near Indy, you are welcome to hunt with my wife and I.  :thumbsup:

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
I go it alone most all the time
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
I also hunt alone 99% of the time. I actually prefer to hunt alone for the peace and tranquility.
 But in your situation I can understand your frustration. Since you say you still want to hunt and be in the woods stick with it. New hunting partners will pop into you life if you are open to it. If you are looking for new hunting partners hit a few local shoots and other local gatherings. It won't take long as like minded people are drawn to each other and hunting fits that category.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
Many strange things happen in life. Just keep on with yours and do what makes you happy. If you enjoy hunting, stumping... Keep it up.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by slivrslingr:
Keep hunting, our community needs as many people out there as we can muster, particularly ladies.  It may be a little daunting at first, but stick to what you know and you'll be fine.  If you need help, the folks at TradGang will be the first to step up if you ask.

As for your mentor/friend, don't give up on him either, it sounds like he is likely suffering PTSD.  If I were you, I'd go over to his house and check up on him.  Let him know you're concerned about his wellbeing and you're available if he needs to talk.  If nothing else, speak with his wife and see how he's doing.  Hopefully he pulls out of his funk and renews your friendship.  

Good luck, both with your hunting and friend!
+2  

You need to get out there for your self. I hunt alone almost 90 percent of the time.  Check on your buddy so you can stop worrying about what's going on with him.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
I have mostly hunted alone. Sure I had friends and some would come help me drag if I called them. But the most rewarding hunts were the ones where I got a deer alone, tracked it and dragged it out alone. And sometimes the best hunts are just being there with your thoughts - alone.
Of course now that I'm older and could use some togetherness all that aloneness may have conspired against me as it is not as easy to make new friends so I understand that too. Hope your friend comes around or you can find another friend but if not you should try it by yourself just take care to keep your self safe. And you don't have to be a woman to have that worry. Some of the public land I once fearlessly tread upon I would not go on alone now due to the increase in crimes committed, mostly involving parking areas at the entrances.
Member NCBA

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
It may take some more time cause I witnessed a women that got ran over by a police vehicle in Aruba in 1989...She was on a moped and her husband on another and we just came up on the scene and the lady was still under the vehicle and it wasn't something that I wanted to talk about but it did put me in a trance for months..I never try to look at an accident scene nowdays due to not wanting to see a Human hurt or even worse deceased on the spot...
I can only guess your friend is having a very hard time with it like I did and time is what he needs...If you could just stop and ask if you could sit with him and just talk anything and hunting also...Believe me when people have passed or just died in front of you it's really comforting to have a person to come and just sit with you while you are grieving..I'm sure he cann't get it out of his mind and that shows he's a human with a heart that cares for that little girl who lost her Daddy in that accident...It's only been a few months and hunting just isn't on his mind right now...May God Bless that little girl who lost her Daddy that day..It breaks my heart just thinking about it...

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
I have always hunted alone tried to hunt with other people but did not like it .
My wife a few years back took interest and we got her set up. And she finally realized why I love hunting and archery. I was apprehensive at first it made double work for me but the times she didn't come with i kinda missed meeting up with her at the truck. My son tags along with me now and then he's a great archer but still does not have the patience to sit still and quiet for deer hunting . He like duck hunting. My wife is really absorbed with her new job this year. So she did not even buy a tag. So I'm mostly hunting alone and I like it  I do miss my family when I'm out there but I still enjoy hunting alone so many perks I can come and go as I please I'm not on anyone else's schedule only me to get ready.  It's nice
Stick with it

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
I enjoy hunting alone but at times I like to share it with my best friend. I would write your hunting partner a note and let him know how much you cherish his friendship and hunting excursions and that you are available to go hunting with him whenever he wants. Also a small gift would be nice.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Machias

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
Believe it or not good hunting partners are harder to find then a good spouse.  I'm heading out tomorrow for three weeks of solo hunting. It's so good for the soul.
Fred Moyer

History does not entrust the care of Freedom to the Weak or the Timid.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
Hunting with friends, is a special time. The comaraderie, The "camp" type mentality... However, even when we all get together, we usualy sit & "hunt" alone.....

I've been at this quite a while. I've bowhunted since I was a boy, and more times than not, just grabbed my bow and headed for the woods!!! Sometimes for an hour, sometimes for a day, Sometimes when rifle hunting the "Big Woods" of The N.Y. Adirondack Mts & up in Maine... I'd head off into the mountains with my nose to the wind, looking for a Big Buck track. Most times, Not even careing when I got back, LOL!!!

I have 2 sons, Kevin 23 and Tyler 14. I started Kevin hunting as soon as he was old enough. I wanted him to enjoy hunting with me, as I had enjoyed many years hunting with my Dad. I NEVER pushed him, I just simply told him I was going hunting and asked if he wanted to come along. After a few years, Kevin decided that hunting was "boring" and wasn't for him. I was crushed!!!!! If you do a search, you'll find a post here from several years ago... "What do you do when you loose them???" My friends and Brothers here helped sooth the pain, and made me realize that I hadn't lost my son, he simply didn't like hunting, LOL!!! We are still very close & he has moved back in with his Brother & I after my divorce. When I shot my buck last week, he was as happy as I was!!!!! I know what it's like to loose a hunting partner... I've lost quite a few over the years for differant reasons.

My youngest son Tyler, has been my almost constant hunting partner for the last couple years. Maybe the Family Tradition, will be passed on through him... Only time will tell. However, I do know this... I love to hunt, and I will hunt untill the day I die!!!!!

You will meet many friends here on Tradgang. It's not a "dateing site" LMAO!!! It's a Family!!!!! I'm sure you will meet many friends here, some may even live close to you!!! You can share your hunts, and experiances, with us. If you have questions, you only need to ask...

Welcome to the Family, Michelle!!!!! Now, GO HUNT!!! and don't worry... You'll never be "alone"!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©