3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Alone  (Read 861 times)

Online PASQUINELL

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Alone
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
Well said Woodchucker!
"I can skin a GRIZZ as fast as you can catch um"...HA! stay right there pilgrim I'll be back!
JOHN 3:16

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
I prefer hunting alone and always do..like the freedom of it. I just try to be extra carefull about everything I do..each step I take. I do fall more often due to age, but am aware of it and always try to have my bow in my off hand when walking in tricky places so I can catch my weight with the other hand or land on that arm to brace my fall.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
Buy a can of bear spray, know how to use it and keep it handy and go hunt. It will stop any unwelcome advances.

I would find a way to get your friend to see someone about ptsd. Happens to the best of us.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Go out and hunt by yourself, then share your experiences here. You will have a lot of hunting buddies to share your experiences with.   :campfire:

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by longbow fanatic 1:
Go out and hunt by yourself, then share your experiences here. You will have a lot of hunting buddies to share your experiences with.    :campfire:  
:clapper:  well said

Offline Fleatrap1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
I prefer hunting alone. Don't let this event deter you from hunting.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »
My mentor and bowhunting buddy had a heart attack while opening up his restored 1964 Moto-Guzzi and he now hunts on the other side of Fiddler's Green where I can't go.

Even when we hunted together it was split apart until mid-day, when we would meet to have lunch, compare notes, rove a bit and then split up for the evening hunt.

So now I hunt alone.  Really, with a traditional bow, that is not much of a disadvantage.  You lose the opportunity for a drive pushing deer towards you, but if you are savvy you can pattern the other hunters as well as deer to choose a good spot.

If you are in a remote area you can hunt deer behaving like deer.  a LOT of scouting will help you figure out where they will be at various times of day.  Be where they are and be aware of the wind.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that for everyone involved.

The only problem solo hunting that I could see is dragging a deer. If your state lets you phone or check in by smart phone I would consider the gutless method and a good pack. If not you might want to have some help on call.

I would recommend for anyone solo hunting(male or female) to know as much about all the other things that make a good woodsman. Woodswoman? Survival, navigation, self administered first aid, etc. Backpacking in the off season and the wealth of knowledge on tradgang are a great place to start.

Go get us a deer and post some pics!
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
I do nearly all of my hunting alone.  My typical hunting partner lives far enough away that we need purposeful plans to hunt.  My dad will still travel west to hunt, but we only do that once every couple years.  I'd say have at it, hunting can be a lonely sport anyhow.
>>>--------->

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Hunt. Take your buddy some meat from your kill. Tell him that you miss his companionship and guidance.  Pray for him.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
Hunting alone gets you in touch with, you. In todays modern online/connected 24/7 world, hunting or fishing alone is among the few last activities where you get to re-connect with yourself. Never forget that.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
I'm sorry to hear all of that. There is no reason to quit. Hunt alone! It will be every bit as enjoyable as before and you will learn so much hunting alone. Also by sticking with it perhaps it could help your friend to come around. Happy hunting!   :archer:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
Hey G. Give your buddy some space and time. I withdrew from hunting for a couple of years after being in a tough situation. Perhaps a wheeled deer hauler and other helps can give you the help you need to go it alone. Thanks for opening up like this.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
Go out and hunt...period. Give your friend time to get things in order and he'll call you. Your doing all you can on that end. In the meantime, don't starve yourself from the opportunity to fulfill your desire to hunt.

I've hunted alone for almost my entire life. My only hunting buddy started hunting with a family member and their ethics and views just totally separated from mine. Since then I've been solo and prefer it that way.

Best of luck solving both issues, I sure hope you don't give up Trad hunting.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
I rarely hunt with anyone anymore..once or twice a year with my brother and nephew is usually it. I'm always alone in the woods..don't let it stop you if you enjoy it and the instinct is there

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
There's a lady hunter, B. Glass, here in IN. You might contact her for input...
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
I have been hunting since I was 16 (I'm now 64), and most of the time I have hunted alone. I agree that security could be an issue for a woman. (Heck, I guess it is an issue for me, too, as I generally have a .45 Glock with me when I go.) But I would encourage you to keep hunting.
Sam

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
I hunt alone 90% of the time and do enjoy it.  I got a game cart and it is a big help.  enjoy...
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 03:26:00 AM »
Not sure I have much more to add to the great advice already given. Sarah had some wise words for ya on page 1 for being security minded (very important!).

I can add that most of my hunting has been solo with a few buddies going with me occasionally, and my most memorable experiences have been while alone. That being said, the learning curve is a little slower, but well EARNED!

I haven't killed anything yet, but have had some amazing things happen while out by myself, and many more opportunities occurred when I was alone than ever have while hunting with buddies.

If it's just a general lack of knowledge that has you apprehensive, Tradgang & youtube are wonderful resources for getting the how-to's down.

The way I see it, the only way you can fail, is to not try.

God bless, and I wish you the best!

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
GPS device , gun, battery , lamp , leave message to someone where you go AND GO !!! Go hunt
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©