3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: WOW I got my first!!!!!!!!  (Read 963 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: WOW I got my first!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 01:04:00 AM »
I agree I did something wrong.. I'll never take a shot like that again. The hight was good just was a little back from her turning. She spoted me as I was loosing the arrow. Ever tho I did a bad thing as in taking that shot & giving away the meat, This thread was about me Taking my First deer from the Ground, NOT RECOVERING A DEER SHOT AT 3O/4O/50 YARDS. Sometime You have to learn the hard way... I had a feeling I could do a clean kill shot... I'm Sorry for having that confidence.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »
Hopefully we all learn from our mistakes.  Sounds like you had a positive learning experience.  We all chance losing game occasionally.  If we learn from our negative experiences we are able to grow.  Hopefully some new archers can learn from this.  I'm sure you will have another chance, and I wish you luck!  Go get um!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
You recovered the deer and used a tag. There are folks ,sadly, who would have left the deer to rot if they gut shot it in warm conditions. You made some mistakes but you also did some positive things and learned from it. Take what you learned into your next hunt and continue to grow. Everyone makes mistakes, a man stands up and admits his learns from them, and tries not to repeat them and you've done that.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline camocowboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
Fred Bear and Howard Hill wouldn't be able to sleep nights if they were still around for worrying about the ethical shot police knocking on their doors.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
:clapper:

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
Congrats.

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »
I got to go with camocowboy on this one.  I have yet to shoot my first with a traditional bow, but I am looking forward to it.  My only challenge was that you could not tell the difference between 30 and 50 yards...but having said that...I think you did the best thing you could have done - recovered it!!    :thumbsup:

People would not be saying the same if you were nervous and made the same hit at 14yards...I promise.  

I ask myself regularly...what is the difference between making a great shot at 40yards vs. a poor shot at 15yards???     :confused:  

That is for another thread.....CONGRATS on the first Traditional kill!!   :clapper:    :clapper:
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline wizzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »
Vermonster, of course he used his tag, Here in NJ you have to shoot a doe first.
There is a lot of "hunting the road".
 In some towns, theanimal control officer spray paints  road kills to keep it down.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »
I agree with VM13 and CC,the fact that he posted that on here just the way it happened says something about his character. I mean, he could have left out all of the negative details and just wrote that he got his first deer on the ground at 30 yds along with the pics. He would have received accolades. Instead he put the whole story down(who would make that up?), and admitted his mistakes.

Mystic, don't beat your self up too much, live and learn.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
Congrats on your first.  You actually recovered the deer pretty quickly ... the meat should have been fine.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
The meat would have been just fine, 2.5 hours is not very long.  I had a slightly quartering towards shot on a fawn and the arrow hit the lungs and grazed the stomach.  I found it 1.5 hours later.  The field dressing didn't smell that great but I was careful when I took out the entrails.  The meat was great.  I didn't eat the tenderloins (2 strips of meat on the inside of the body cavity).  If your deer had sit overnight, I would have made sausage.

Great job on the deer.  You are the only judge of how you hunt and decide on what to do on future hunts.

Hunting on the ground is great, although it's a bit harder, it's a lot more fun.

Jason

Offline Mark Smeltzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
Nothing like getting them from the ground!! Hey, live and learn on the shot and distance thing. If you feel you made a mistake, learn from it. I know just what you mean.

Mark

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
Just a reminder of Salvatore's 1st post.....

Originally posted by mysticguido:
Thanx Guys.... God I feel bad for taking that far of a shot.
And, just a reminder of Salvatore's 2nd post.....

Originally posted by mysticguido:
I made a mistake my ranger find is off. I just used my friends and it came out to 30yards, but still it was to far and I shouldn't have taken the shot... It did look closer, but now I know for sure & I do feel a little better.. I also found my arrow.
I think he's beat himself up already as apparent by his own posts and admissions, and doesn't need anyone else piling on.  

I'd like to encourage him to learn from his mistakes, and commend him for his actions afterward.  He showed character.

Congrats on your 1st.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
Ahmen Terry

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Thanx Terry   :notworthy: