3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunter's Insurance  (Read 652 times)

Offline Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hunter's Insurance
« on: October 31, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
I've been thinking about purchasing "Hunter's Liability Insurance" and use the insurance as a tool to gain land access. I've been doing some google searching, however I'm not sure which Insurance Company to go with... any thoughts from the folks here?

Is there anybody on this site who is in the insurance business and sells liability insurance for hunting purposes? OR, do you know anybody who specializes in selling hunting liability insurance?

Thanks in advance...
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunter's Insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
I lived in Germany for a few years, back in the late '90's. I was a licensed jaeger and was required to have insurance. I had a policy with Lloyd's of London.

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Check into an Umbrella policy under your current insurance provider. We have a million dollar umbrella that is cheap. Extra liability protection that is pretty inexpensive.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
I had to buy insurance for first time this year for a lease....pick a hunt club...give an area of location...some description of activities.  I got 2 million with 1 million per instance...for about $350.  Only shooting from elevated stands, no shooting ranges, no recreational ATV usage, mandatory tree harnesses, etc.

NRA, QDMA, and some others all get their insurance through same underwriter...small differences in policy but was painless to fill out online and submit.  It allows you to name property owners as well for a fee PER PROPERTY OWNER....  

Did not try for just myself but sure you could do an umbrella on homeowners to cover that if not able to set it up like I did for two different properties under the same policy.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
As a landowner it will not matter a nit to me whether you claim to have hurt yourself and it is you or your insurance company who tries to sue me.  In fact, I'd rather deal with just you instead of a conglomerate multi-state group of vultures.

You are talking about liability coverage for your actions - but that is not the worrysome part for me.  I worry about if you claim to be hurt and try to prove it was because I didn't have a "Warning - High" sign on the tree you fell out of.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Maybe I am backwards, but I don't hunt where a handshake and a share of meat isn't enough.  My father is an insurance agent, so I'm fairly familiar with what's out there and hunters insurance just isn't a product I've ever considered to be important.

My time in the woods is very important to me.  It's the best place to pray and LISTEN to God for a response and there is never enough time for it.  I simply won't share that with folks who aren't like minded and those folks don't give a rip about liability insurance.  They trust you because your a good guy and shook their hand.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
I don't know how much water it holds, but the State of Wisconsin has some law prohibiting you from suing the owner of the land you are recreating on (for free)unless there is actual negligence involved.  If you PAY for the access, all bets are off.

ChuckC

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
Exactly.  I'm just happy when someone has the courtesy to ask that I have never turned down a request to hunt.  I do ask they keep a good distance from the house and our sheep pasture; and there's a convenient creek that makes the demarkation easy.  

I haven't posted my property, but most around me have - though any neighbor has standing permission.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
yeah the good old days of hunting and a handshake are not as common...  i had to get some other guys to go in on the property with me which I dont really like...as more of a loner myself.  so looking to find something to hunt by myself or share with one other person....

insurance is more for me in case I accidently set fire to his timber or a deer I shoot runs in front of a car on highway....to protect him as the owner.

was much simpler when i could talk to farmer or owner and share some meat....mend fences...help store hay in barn loft....or kill nuisance pigeons in his barn for chance to chase a couple deer.  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 06:26:00 AM »
If you fall out of a tree stand and you need medical treatment at the ER, your health insurance will cover your medical bills. BUT, your health insurance company will later send you a form to fill out that will ask you how and where you were injured. If you were injured on someone else' property, guess what? Yes, they will pursue the property owner where the accident occurred for the damages to YOU that the insurance co. had to pay for. Not much you can do about it then, whether you want them to take action against the landowner or not. It's out of your hands.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
In New York State the land owner cannot be held liable if you hurt yourself on their property while hunting.

Check out  www.outdoorsinsurance.com  and ask for Tim reed, he insures our archery club.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stykbowslim:
I've been thinking about purchasing "Hunter's Liability Insurance" and use the insurance as a tool to gain land access. I've been doing some google searching, however I'm not sure which Insurance Company to go with... any thoughts from the folks here?

Is there anybody on this site who is in the insurance business and sells liability insurance for hunting purposes? OR, do you know anybody who specializes in selling hunting liability insurance?

Thanks in advance...
If you own a home and have a homeowners insurance policy, you already have liability insurance.  

You should check with your carrier to see what exclusions and limitations might apply to your specific policy.

Hint from a person who was 14 years an insurance agent:  Don't call your agent for this info.  You would be surprised at how poorly many agents understand the details of the coverage of the policies they sell.  Your best coverage information will come from the claims department.

Also, even if you do not own your home, if you rent, a renters policy will also have liability coverage.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
thank you everyone for the feedback...

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
150.645 Liability of landowner consenting to hunting, fishing, trapping,
camping, or hiking on premises -- Claims for property damage by state
employees participating in wildlife management practices.
(1) An owner, lessee or occupant of premises who gives permission to another
person to hunt, fish, trap, camp or hike upon the premises shall owe no duty to
keep the premises safe for entry or use by the person or to give warning of any
hazardous conditions on the premises, and the owner, lessee, or occupant, by
giving his permission, does not thereby extend any assurance that the
premises are safe for such purpose, or constitute the person to whom
permission is granted an invitee to whom a duty of care is owed. The owner,
lessee, or occupant giving permission for any of the purposes stated above
shall not be liable for any injury to any person or property caused by the
negligent acts of any person to whom permission is granted. This section shall
not limit the liability which would otherwise exist for willful and malicious failure
to guard or to warn against a dangerous condition, use, structure, or activity; or
for injury suffered in any case where permission to hunt, fish, trap, camp, or
hike was granted for a consideration other than the consideration, if any, as set
forth in KRS 411.190(1)(d), paid to said owner, lessee, or occupant by the
state. The word "premises" as used in this section includes lands, private ways,
and any buildings and structures thereon. Nothing in this section limits in any
way any liability which otherwise exists.
(2) Department employees who participate in bona fide wildlife management
practices are agents of the department and state and, in the event property
damage does occur, a claim for property damages may only be brought in the
Board of Claims pursuant to KRS 44.070.

Check the laws of your state. The above KRS applies in the state of Kentucky.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Warden,

That seems to apply to public hunting on land leased/opened to the State-"in any case where permission to hunt, fish, trap, camp, or hike was granted for a consideration other than the consideration, if any, as set forth in KRS 411.190(1)(d), paid to said owner, lessee, or occupant by the state."  In some states, granting public access to private land protects the landowner.  That protection doesn't apply when access is restricted.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
2-3 years ago, here in my county, a trespasser driving a four-wheeler ran into a cable that the landowner had strung across the road to stop people from driving onto his property. Almost cut the guys head off.

So the trespasser sued the landowner and won a judgement of $100,000.

So Liability Insurance is very common in this area.  Pretty much all hunting clubs have liability policies to protect the landowner in case someone gets hurt and decides to sue.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by SELFBOW19953:
Warden,

That seems to apply to public hunting on land leased/opened to the State-"in any case where permission to hunt, fish, trap, camp, or hike was granted for a consideration other than the consideration, if any, as set forth in KRS 411.190(1)(d), paid to said owner, lessee, or occupant by the state."  In some states, granting public access to private land protects the landowner.  That protection doesn't apply when access is restricted.
You are misinterpreting section 1. Don't take my word just research Attorney General opinions    ;)  .

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
There are two different discussions going on in this thread.  Some are talking about the liability of the landowner for accidents, etc. that befall someone on his property.

I think the OP was wondering about liability insurance to cover his actions or damages to the landowners property.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
To be clear, here are my thoughts;

Due to a recent conversation with a landowner - land that I was trying to obtain permission to hunt, the landowner stated that: "he didn't want anybody on his land for fear of being sued."

So, based on that conversation, I was thinking about some type of liability insurance to help calm the fear of the landowner from being sued by me, in case I get hurt on his property.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
The recreational land use statute protects the landowner in Ky.  However, there is a bit of a higher liability if the landowner charges a hunt or lease fee.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©