3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Top notch penetration by a Grizzly  (Read 355 times)

Offline Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Top notch penetration by a Grizzly
« on: November 01, 2013, 08:44:00 AM »
I have been hunting with the Grizzly 160 grain single bevel head for the first time ever this season. I have never tried a single bevel of any sort before. I must say that I am super impressed with it. The head is super easy to sharpen and flies as well as a field point. This is the best flying broadhead that I have ever shot.....by far. Now for the "meat" of the post (pun intended). Recently my hunting partner and I spent the week in the Upper Peninsula deer hunting. On Oct 25th, within an hour of each other, we both shot nice mature Does. This was the very first animal that I have ever shot with the Grizzly and I am lucky that I was shooting them because as is sometimes the case, I pulled my shot left and this caused a forward hit on the Doe. Thank god she was moving from my right to left as the opposite direction would have caused a gut shot & nightmare. I hit her a little forward and the head crashed through her left shoulder blade, ribs on both sides and the far shoulder right where it drops into the leg. This is exactly where you do not want to hit a deer. The Grizzly traveled through as much bone as you can possibly hit on a whitetails body and still penetrated 10" beyond the leg/shoulder bone. I was shooting a 535 grain douglas fir arrow tipped with the 160 grn Grizzly out of my 51# Schafer recurve and I am sure that this arrow & head combo saved me on this shot. The deer ran less than 40 yards as the wind pipe was severed on the way through, and piled up. I dont know much about the company that has bought and improved this classic head but I would urge every hunter that is interested in keeping our American vendors that put out a fine product going to buy a set of these heads and try them out. There is not a single negative issue with this broadhead, it was still sharp after crashing through all of that meat and bone.......impressed as hell!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Top notch penetration by a Grizzly
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
Good deal war child.
I've used the el grande before and found it to be a very good head as well.

It certainly seems the trade off of not having a larger cut diameter or more blades paid off for you big time.

Hope you get to test it out again soon.
   :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
Wow,sounds awesome! My. Buddy shoots that same head and like you, he has some incredible stories to tell as well.  Good on ya man, congratulations!

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
I had the same thing happen (or lack there of) to a friend over the weekend. However, he was using a mechanical broadhead (wheelie bow), the arrow hit the shoulder and the broadhead snapped off right at the upper half of the insert and he got a grand total of 1" of blood on the shaft itself. Barely any blood was found and we're thinking the deer will live to see another day.

I tried to explain to him the benefits of a 2 blade cut on contact broadhead, he looked at me like I had 2 heads   :thumbsup:

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
I switched to them last season and shot two deer then and three so far this year with my Grizzly's. I am sharpening  impaired and I can get these heads crazy sharp with ease. I also like the increased penetration. Fantastic broadheads no doubt.

The two deer I shot with them last year was with the same head and the three this year was with the same as well. With the new improvements and the low cost compared to others in this category the choice to use them for me is a no brainer.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
Sounds good.  Looking forward to getti mine bloody soon.

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
Hi In year's past I shot 70-80+ lb. bows and 800-1000 gr. tapered hard wood shafts with the big  grizzley and took out both front shoulders of a number of deer . I am shooting  +/- 50# with  tapered 5/16 ash at 500gr.with 125gr grizzly now and have not put one into a deer yet .

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
With the new improvements and the low cost compared to others in this category the choice to use them for me is a no brainer.
Exactly!!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
yeah...I am going to try the 3 blade model Bill's working on when it comes out.  Good stuff.

Congratulations on the doe!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 01:08:00 AM »
Excellent performance especially from modest arrow weight. Great company/people as well.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 07:24:00 AM »
Great write up Warchild.
I pushed 30+ inches of shaft thru a doe earlier this season my self, shooting the 185 Grizzly out of a 49# bow.
Bill Dunn has done a fine job with them heads and My field report echos yours.
Congrats on the harvest.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
yup....great broadheads..
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
That is about as good of a testimony as anyone could give. Thank you sir. It sure put a smile on my face.  Did you happen to keep the busted bones?  
Bill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©