3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: from alaska to texas and back #4 all pics added  (Read 692 times)

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
from alaska to texas and back #4 all pics added
« on: November 01, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
just got home from texas on Monday, this is the fourth time I have hunted there. I have hunted a total of 32 days on the same ranch over the four trips, with some good luck and some bad, always bad luck if it had horns.
     This years trip started with some new equipment and tuning, I dropped 75 grs out of my full length ad trad shafts and tipped them with some new 175 woodsman extremes.  I was shooting them out of a super shrew 58 at 28 drawn to 30.5.
    October 20 I flew to Austin and met my friend matt torno, we drove 4 hours to leon county, we arrived at the ranch at 2 pm which was 5 hours before two of my other Alaskan friends were to arrive with tom stott, the other Texan that always showed us a good time.
    when we showed up the wheelers were locked up so we walked out to some stands,  which turns out was the best thing that could have happened.  I had a idea of a couple of stands I should hunt and started sneaking my way to them.  before I get there I see a large boar walking the trail straight at me but down wind, he stops at 30 and sniffs, then slowly walks into the brush.  50 yards further down the trail I walk up on 5 smaller hogs working some thick stuff, this time up wind.  I spent a good bit of time trying to find a hole to shoot but they would not stay still.  being ten yards away they eventualy sensed me and escaped.
   after making it to both stands I chose the one with the best wind and sign.  this ended up being the move that set the rest of my trip up for success.
    The stand was a hang on about twelve feet up a nice clearing in front with one wheeler trail passing through at 40 yards and two large game trails 20 yards either side of the stand and a large bend of the creek directly behind.  the place was loaded with hog rooting and buck scapes.
    I climbed up at 5:30, within 15 min I caught a glimpse of a buck tending a scrape up the trail to my right. He worked it for some time then disappeared.  
     more to come tonight with pics
after that I could hear four separate groups of hogs holed up in the thick stuff nearby, two groups were on the other side of the creek and down wind, bummer, the other two were not     :goldtooth:     I was a bit worried that they wouldn't move until dark but I had some help from a pair of coons. they came out and started eating on the spread of corn I threw, loud popping of the corn pulled the first group of hogs out instantly, they held up for a couple of seconds but they couldn't stand seeing the coons eat so here they came like a line of track stars at the gun  I picked the largest one to take but he spooked and ran out a little so I got anxios and took to the closest one, she was quarter away a good bit but at 15 yards I was confident and let fly. smack they all ran across the clearing and the one with the yellow arrow started falling behind and then just falling.
I thought I should just get down and go get her it took all I had to just sit back down and nock another arrow. five mins later another group came running, this time the biggest one was the closest.  seconds later I was shooting, full pass through, a little high but really squirting. this one jumped the creek and thrashed for a couple seconds, but the others didn't leave, so I started to get a bit greedy, I knocked another and began to draw. the closest one saw me move and busted out to 20 yards, that is when some sense came to me. I already had one down and one to track, plus and evening of camp fun coming up.  so I just climbed down and looked for blood on the second hog, found good blood until the creek. the arrow was glowing pink and buried in the clay.  so I went to the confirmed kill

I gutted her and began dragging to the trail, then I see him, I could see his white cutters at 70 yards coming straight for me. I started running, little pig in tow, for the only tree in the clearing and nocked arrow. he came in slow and cautious.  he made it behind the tree so I stood, when he cleared at eight yards I began to draw and he busted, should have done things a little smarter.
I went for some blood trail backup and on my way I walk up on a good buck making a scrape.  light was low so I got real close, 15 yards to tell that he was very legal but not close enough to shoot in that light.  I closed to 8 to 10 and snapped a twig, bye bye buckie.
After I met up with matt we started on the trail of the second hog.  The blood was thin and absent on the other side of the creek.  we began walking grids and found buckets of blood zig zaging in the brush,  then the hog.  I forgot to take trail photos but here they both are at camp

only pic I have, cant keep my eyes open, oops

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: from alaska to texas and back #4 all pics added
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
Sounds promising.  :coffee:
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
:campfire:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
:dunno:
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »
Pig hunting is soooooo much fun!

Congrats!

Bisch

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 01:11:00 AM »
day two was relaxing.  I cut meat for a bit then toms friend brought his hog dogs to give us a taste of the local hunting, wow exiting they caught one nice sow.  he took her off to give her a month of yummy sweet corn then the smoker.  problem was we caught her right next to the stand I had already fallen in love with.  
being a trapper in training here in ak I thought it would be a neat idea to try and trail snare a hog so I set two snares both with moose breakaways that would work as deer stops.
that evening I hunted a different stand, that a lot of deer had been seen at. on my way there I saw some nice buck tracks near the stand I hunted before.  that evening I saw five does and a small sublegal buck at 15 to 20 yards.  at ten till dark a heavy rain came.  when I met up with matt we started looking for a big boar he stuck.  the rain had washed all blood if any away. two hours later we went to camp and learned that the other three had also stuck hogs and only one was dead in sight and only that one was found. we went back three more times but the standing water ruined the other three trails.
the day three morning hunt was condemned the night before with a lot of story telling by the fire.
that afternoon we witnessed a buck running a pipeline trail and then tuck in to a oak bottom.  Tom told me that bottom would be a great place to set a stand, so I did and set up a trail cam with some three day harvest,  the cam got 700 pics in thee days of all deer and here is that buck.  

it looks like a decent 9 and legal, a shooter for me but that deer was not in gods plans.
that evening I decided to sit my new honey hole again, I followed the buck tracks that I had seen the night before. they led a series of scrapes right down the wheeler trail that was 40 to 50 yards from the stand.
that evening the wind was the same but the hogs were not.  I saw one nice boar cross the creek behind and down wind, he stared me down for a while and slipped off.  five mins till dark I was thinking of what other stands I should hunt that havnt been hammered when he stepped out.  I was already standing arrow nocked ready to go.  80 yards away I decided that he was legal, which is 13 inch inside spread.  he moved steady nose up then down, hunting early does.  he moved down the wheeler trail and I knew I had no shot that far away until at the last moment he took a 90 and came straight at me. there must have been a doe on the corn spread some time in the day.  he took another 90 at 23 to 26 yards and put his head up broadside.  I already had my arrow pointing at him, I began to draw extra slow never taking my eyes of the kill spot.  I drew at a crawl all the way to anchor then boom whack crack.  he jumped and I could see a big red spot a little back but well in the zone.  he ran out 75 yards and froze, then disappeared, seconds later I heard thrashing in the leaves.
excitement overcame me, I thought about the other bucks I have choked on and how I felt stone cold on this one until the arrow left.  how I knew this deer was dead.  that is the moment I will never forget.
I couldn't stay in the stand any longer so I went to look at my arrow

the arrow passed all the way and broke the nock was gone and the broad head was almost at the stand.  I still don't know how that happened, but I knew it all happened after it left the deer.  I went to the spot where it paused and found good spraying blood, lots of blood even though its hard to see

I followed blood for a bit more but by now it was dark and I could see no more ahead.  I went to the wheeler trail intersection and waited for my two other ak buddies, I also thought that they would appreciate finding this buck with me, as well as I.  I had stuck a arrow in the last blood and we went straight there.  we quickly found lots of blood in the mesquite thicket and a body laying just inside.  I really didn't know what kind of buck it was when I shot I just knew it was legal.  I was shocked as I havnt seen a buck like this ever.  not a monster but for me it couldn't have been more impressive.

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 01:29:00 AM »
Awesome read. Congrats. That buck sure has a lot of white on him.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 05:48:00 AM »
Sounds like a great hunt with lots of action.  That buck is fantastic.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
Great story of a great hunt! Congratulations!
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
Congrats!  Awesome hunt story!  :thumbsup:

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
Congrats and that's a great Leon county buck.I live not far from there.Welcome to Texas....   :wavey:
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
That is a fantastic buck!

Wherewere y'all hunting? Just curious as I live near Austin also.

Congrats!

Bisch

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
We were right by flo. Inbetween buffalo and centerville

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
the next day was spent cutting meat and doing camp chores.  my buddy came back from the morning hunt with one of my snares broken and the other one missing.
that evening I decided to go sit in a ground blind with john and be a spectator as I already had too much meat to take home.  at the very last seconds of light a big hog came in, he shot it directly in the shield but got through.  a couple hours later we went looking and found it right away.

if you look close around his neck you will see my missing snare!!!
we hunted a few more days, I had some nice pigs come in close but no big tuskers so I finished the trip watching and doing camp chores.
every time I go to texas I am amazed at the amount of game and opportunities.  and now that the buck monkey is off my back I want to return even more.  
thanks for taking the time to read.
jason

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
You need to remove the picture showing the non traditional bow kill, only traditional kills are allowed on this site, otherwise the mods may pull you entire thread.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
Jason long time huh ?  Congrats I guess you brought a lot of meat home.  That Texas heat must have felt great, and I sure love wild hog.  Beautiful buck.  Congrats again and might as well remove the wheel pics yourself and save the mods the hassle.  I have a line on a bunny spot by the way.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
Thanks i was just reading the rules

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
Hey tim been getting harder to find bunnies

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the reminder that where I live is awesome, because I am always jealous of you guys up north.
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
And don't kid yourself, that's a dandy buck anywhere !!!  

Congrats on a great hunt..

Yep, the dogs and snaring might get your thread pulled..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©