3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What Is Wrong With Mechanical Release Aids  (Read 1000 times)

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What Is Wrong With Mechanical Release Aids
« on: November 01, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
I have shot with a tab or a glove for years, and I can't deny that I love the traditional aspect of it.  I was snap shooting all of that time and created some very unsavory habits that wouldn't hardly ever allow me to come to full draw while looking at my target or my hand giving out implicitly as soon as I anchored (target panic). I spoke with Joel Turner of Ironmind Archery and he gave me some great advice on how to combat target panic. Retraining myself proved to be more of a problem than I expected and upon further thought I realized why exactly.  I have had ms for a number of years and the most attacked portion of my central nervous system is the portion that controls my right hand.  Creating a new neuropathway (repetitive shot sequence) is much more challenging and time consuming because of this.  I don't think its impossible, but defiantly improbable.  Some day it might work out, but until then I will shoot a mechanical release with a wrist strap.  I shoot three fingers under, so when I use my release my anchor is right where my index finger would be.  I have not noticed any spine issues with my arrows.  I have noticed a huge increase in accuracy and consistency because I can slow down my shot and concentrate on every aspect of it prior to the release. I don't have to constantly focus on not releasing to early. I wish I would have started shooting this way a long time ago. I just know that I would no longer be able to shoot in tournaments in traditional class if I quit finger shooting all together. Its too bad that a mechanical release is not "trad" but an ILF take down with adjustable center shot, adjustable tiller and draw weight is.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: What Is Wrong With Mechanical Release Aids
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 05:53:00 AM »
the act of using a traditional bow requires not only a stick 'n' string bow, but one hand holds the bow and the fingers of the other hand address the string.  

the string hand (fingers) draws, anchors, aims and releases.  a millennium's old thumb ring is a release aid, but it's not mechanical and is a valid method of drawing/releasing a trad bow.  

traditional archers who are physically handicapped always get a "bye" for using unconventional means of drawing/releasing the bowstring.  

one who can pull string with fingers should be using fingers, or perhaps an "historic" release aid, but not a mech release aid.

if yer not physically handicapped, get a qualified archery coach and/or take the time to learn how best to shoot a trad bow with yer fingers on the bowstring.  we've all been down that path in one manner or another, and a mech release aid is either a tool to cure a shooting problem (i.e. target panic) or just a crutch for not learning how to shoot a trad bow with a finger draw/release.      :readit:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 06:27:00 AM »
For hunting, who cares if it's "trad" to shoot with a release? It's still a stickbow and if you're shooting well that way, Go for it!

For tournaments, you could try using a leather strap or thumb ring. Or, just register in the "freestyle" class with your trad bow and mechanical release & beat the wheelie guys in their class!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 06:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Fattony77:
For hunting, who cares if it's trad? If you're shooting well that way, Go for it!

For tournaments, you could try using a leather strap or thumb ring. Or, just register in the "freestyle" class & beat the wheelie guys in their class!
umm, please do keep in mind that this website forum is "trad gang" and not "wheel gang".  the topic matter in question isn't about static release aids (thumb rings, straps, et), it's about dynamic mechanical release aids.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »
Aside from the competition side of things, do what works for you and keeps you enjoying shooting and helps you with the TP. I got it about 1 1/2 years ago and it is no fun. I started shooting a compound again to help with it.  That was rough at first also but helped get me out past the 10 yd shots I was able to do after working on blind Bale and trying to work my way out in distance. I was also doing other stuff recommended to help with the TP, but I needed to convince my brain I could get on target and take the shot. For a while I would shoot the compound until I settled down and then switch.  I then stopped as I got tired and felt it creeping in.  A real light bow probably would also have helped but I know the release helped.

Don't give up using fingers.  Shot some both ways in practice. I found switching from split to 3 under helped also so maybe try a switch from your usual way of putting your fingers on the string. Others have switched hands to relearn to shoot. I kind of suspect some changes can sort circuit the bad process.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 07:10:00 AM »
Sorry for your health, if a release is your last resort to stay shooting and enjoying traditional equipment, by all means, yes, use a release.

Traditional archery is not easy to become proficient. It takes a lot of work, which becomes reward, IMHO is worth the effort in the end.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »
shoot the way you want to, as you should be in the sport for you.  that being said, im gonna take a wild guess that as this moves along, youll someday drift back to fingers and find accuracy and enjoyment there.  but it a release keeps ya shooting, go for it.
is it September yet??

Offline Claymore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
Don Dow 37@30
HH Cougar 38@30
Hoyt Excel 38@30

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

Originally posted by Fattony77:
For hunting, who cares if it's trad? If you're shooting well that way, Go for it!

For tournaments, you could try using a leather strap or thumb ring. Or, just register in the "freestyle" class & beat the wheelie guys in their class!
umm, please do keep in mind that this website forum is "trad gang" and not "wheel gang".  the topic matter in question isn't about static release aids (thumb rings, straps, et), it's about dynamic mechanical release aids. [/b]
Sorry for any confusion with the way I originally posted. I have edited it to be more clear (hopefully). My apologies for any confusion or offense I may have caused or committed.   :knothead:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 08:03:00 AM »
tony, if you have a physical condition that requires the use of any kinda release aid to keep you in the sport and hunting, it's perfectly valid from my perspective, and most would agree.  no problem, sir.

for those who have no physical issues with drawing and releasing with their bow hand fingers and decide to use a mech release aid, well, that's a different story ....

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
tony, if you have a physical condition that requires the use of any kinda release aid to keep you in the sport and hunting, it's perfectly valid from my perspective, and most would agree.  no problem, sir.

for those who have no physical issues with drawing and releasing with their bow hand fingers and decide to use a mech release aid, well, that's a different story ....
Ditto for me as well.

God bless, Mudd

PS: Those that fit into the latter category, you may choose to use one, you're not welcome to share that information on this site... why? Because we are all about traditional bowhunting.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 08:16:00 AM »
I think most around here wouldn't fault you for doing what you have to do if injured or senior, or sticking to the practice range with it.  Same could be said for a pin sight.  Once you're out in the woods and wanting to be traditional there's no place for a mechanical aid if you are healthy and have practiced enough to be proficient with fingers.  There are no trad police around here but it is important that the forum stay on topic.  

On a related note I just saw a recent video of Sir Patrick Stewart celebrating his 73rd birthday and a friend had gifted him a Bear Takedown.  He was shooting with a release..but hey he's 73.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
My physical health is not an issue when it comes to shooting with fingers.  I have minor damage to an area of my brain that makes retraining muscle memory actions of my right more time consuming and difficult that it would be otherwise.  I like shooting with complete control over target panic.  I could shoot with fingers if I wanted and maybe I will while not hunting.  Is the aspect of being a true trad hunter and shooting marginally more important than shooting your very best and doing everything you can to make ethical shots on game animals?  By those guide lines, I guess I am no traditional archer; I just shoot a recurve.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
I tried a release due to some arthritis in my hands but found it very noisy. I have solved the problem (not the same as the one you have) with a double thickness tab. If a release keeps you in the woods, and hunting, do what you gotta do.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
there are established guidelines of sorts as to what defines a "traditional bow" and "traditional bowhunting".  if you feel that a mechanical release aid helps you to shoot better, even though you could be using your fingers to draw and release, that's not what most would consider "traditional", and i sure don't.  but hey, that's your call.  

there IS an physical/mechanical advantage with using dynamic mechanical release aids.  i competed with more than a few of them in the 60's and 70's with both recurves (unlimited recurve freestyle) and compounds (unlimited freestyle compound) - none of that has to do with traditional bowhunting.  

there are LOTS of arguments worldwide about what constitutes "traditional bowhunting", define it any way ya like, your call.  trad gang's view is simply a braced stick 'n' string, and an arrow - make any of that outta any material ya like as long as ya draw, hold, release with yer hands/fingers.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by BWallace10327:
My physical health is not an issue when it comes to shooting with fingers.  I have minor damage to an area of my brain that makes retraining muscle memory actions of my right more time consuming and difficult that it would be otherwise.  I like shooting with complete control over target panic.  I could shoot with fingers if I wanted and maybe I will while not hunting.  Is the aspect of being a true trad hunter and shooting marginally more important than shooting your very best and doing everything you can to make ethical shots on game animals?  By those guide lines, I guess I am no traditional archer; I just shoot a recurve.
Brain damage to me would be lumped in there with physical health, call it neurological health if splitting hairs.  This topic had been covered many times over.  There doesn't need to be a debate.  No one is going to revoke your 'trad card' for doing what suits you best in regards to your health, there is just no need to convince others they ought to shoot with a release just because.  Do what you gotta do and enjoy yourself.  No need to lose sleep, this is a place of fellowship and cameraderie.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
I would say go for it under the circumstances.  I work with a guy that shot trad for years.  He bought a compound and release after injuring the muscles or tendons on his right forearm (not sure exactly what happened or the exact injury) which made it impossible to hold a bowstring.  After a year or two he realized that he could use the release with his recurve and still be "traditional" with that one exception and has been shooting that way ever since.  You say you could probably work your way into shooting fingers eventually and I encourage you to try it.  I know if I were in your situation I would be too stubborn to give up finger shooting completely.  But if that would prevent me from hunting for the time being and there was a less traditional method that would allow me to do something that I love, then I would definitely take advantage of it.  

Good luck with whatever method you choose.
Matt Toms
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by nineworlds9:

Originally posted by BWallace10327:
Brain damage to me would be lumped in there with physical health, call it neurological health if splitting hairs.  This topic had been covered many times over.  There doesn't need to be a debate.  No one is going to revoke your 'trad card' for doing what suits you best in regards to your health, there is just no need to convince others they ought to shoot with a release just because.  Do what you gotta do and enjoy yourself.  No need to lose sleep, this is a place of fellowship and cameraderie. [/b]
X2
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Claymore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
Don Dow 37@30
HH Cougar 38@30
Hoyt Excel 38@30

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
I do believe Claymore, the man said he had  MS , not a Good Thing. I say, if the Body Wont Cooperate Anymore, Do What Ya Gotta Do To Keep Flingin' Those Arrows!!   :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©