3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What Is Wrong With Mechanical Release Aids  (Read 998 times)

Offline Claymore

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What Is Wrong With Mechanical Release Aids
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
Don Dow 37@30
HH Cougar 38@30
Hoyt Excel 38@30

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
would switching to left handed bows help ?

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
I have ms but I am not disabled in by any means, and haven't been for a few years now.  The small amount of damage I have in the portion of my brain that controls my string hand makes learning to overcome the target panic induced snap shooting that I have become accustomed to over the years shooting a trad bow more  difficult than it would have been other wise.  I can draw and shoot with a tab or glove, no problem, but not as accurately or consistently as I would like to for hunting applications.  Its all for fun and learning how to shoot well when target practicing, but i like to hunt with my longbow/recurves.  Its no longer a fun learning experience when an arrow gets released to early and wounds an animal instead of focusing at full draw and making a clean, ethical kill.  Many people can shoot exceptionally with traditional archery equipment, I am not always one of them.  I would rather give up a small portion of my tradition gear and keep the bow style I like best while being able to cleanly put down an animal with a well placed shot.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
There appears to be little argument here (thank goodness) that you should do whatever works for you but that the topic of mechanical aids would be for another forum.  

You have discovered through this thread a lot of folks that might be very helpful to you and be more than happy to discuss this type of draw strategy with you instead of posting here.

I'm certainly among those that think you should subscribe to whatever you want, irregardless of what others might choose.

I was gratified to read from moderator Rob a definition of "traditional" as it pertains to this forum. I had not seen that before in all these years. I like his definition; stick, string, and finger power.  I'm soooo glad to know that I'm not considered less than traditional because I like hi-tech camo, hi-tech curves, medium draw weight bows, and adjustable arrow rests.

Good luck with your shooting. To beat or prevent TP by the way, the process of shooting must become more important to you than the result. Once you have "aimed" forget about it and concentrate on concluding the shot process. Once you've programmed your brain for the sight picture you seek, your subconscious can aim without your conscious help.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
Have you tried thumb or pinch grips?  I shoot that way because of terrible crushing damage done to my hand and the arthritis that comes with it. It might be an option for you.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
Brent, what happens if you draw a bow with no arrow on the string? Can you hold the draw?

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
Yes, I sure can, and I can fling arrows at 3/4 draw if I look at the target with the best of them. Classic TP Syndrome.  Breaking the habit of snap shooting is unnecessarily difficult due to the small area of demylenation that is in my brain.  That means that conscious thoughts are relayed at a slower manner than if that area had a normal meylin sheath over the axon.  Simply put, the message to hold my bow drawn or to keep pulling to my trigger (feather to nose)often times doesn't seem to get to my hand quickly enough.  I can snap shoot all day if I want. I can make it to full draw with an arrow nocked, only to let loose using my sight picture as a trigger.  I have no issues using a release to hunt with. I am making sure I make the best shot that I can on an animal by giving myself any legal advantage that I can while using a sight free recurve bow. Any health issues aside it is the ethical thing to do for me or anyone else.  Not necessarily using a release but any legal advantage that lends itself being the best shot in a hunting situation
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by BWallace10327:
Any health issues aside it is the ethical thing to do for me or anyone else.  Not necessarily using a release but any legal advantage that lends itself being the best shot in a hunting situation
I don't think you're going to find anyone here who will quibble with you over your decision to hunt in any legal way you choose.  However, when you prescribe for "anyone else," you include every other member in this forum, all of whom have decided to hunt with traditional gear, sometimes with primitive gear, and who purposely do not take all legal advantages that lend themselves to being the best shot in a hunting situation.

Otherwise, we would only hunt with compound bows with all the gadgets in bow season, and a flat shooting rifle with a scope in gun season.  In a broader sense, using that criteria, there would be no bow season at all.  Our ethics include limiting ourselves to self bows, homemade arrows, and stone broadheads if that's what we choose to use. And we applaud those who are successful with that equipment as much as we applaud those who use fiberglass backed bows and graphite arrows.  We might be better shots in a hunting situation if we carried range finders, but we have no argument against the great majority of traditional bowhunters who don't.  Instead we applaud the success of those who have learned to shoot accurately without.  Our challenge and common interest is limiting ourselves to equipment that is certainly less than optimal, judged solely by the probability of being the best shot in a hunting situation.

I wish you success in your hunts.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Brent, another option for you to try,

switch hands.  Simply start shooting lefty.  I had TP for a LONG time.  I even shot very well, sometimes.  I was totally inconsistent because I never knew when my brain was gonna make me release that arrow. Maybe I have similar brain issues, who knows.  

When aiming was not part of the equation I had no problem holding the full draw.  

I tried everything.  Short term gains, then right back.  Almost quit numerous times.  No way was I going to a Xbow or back to compound days.

Last fall I switched, cold turkey. Yeah, it was a little weird at first.  There was a bit of learning again, but it was surprisingly easy.  I followed and developed classic shooting form, and I shoot very well now, no TP at all.  

I have heard many similar stories.

It may be a change for the good.

ChuckC

Offline Claymore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
Don Dow 37@30
HH Cougar 38@30
Hoyt Excel 38@30

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
It is most probably working for you only because of the switch and the brain still has to think about it and you have to make it happen rather than absolute control over it. The trigger type releases are the quickest road to target panic in the release world. The fix is using back tension to execute the shot whether using release or fingers, in other words sort of a surprise where you don't have absolute control. I had my own battles years ago shooting compound competition, it took me a couple of seasons to overcome using a back tension trigger less release where the release comes from muscle engagement. In short, proper form. I shoot strictly longbow now and shoot fingers the same way.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
Back in 1995, I suffered a High Voltage Electrical shock while working undernieth a train. 660volts right through the top of my melon, down my spine, and exiting out both my left & right arms which were resting on the iron truck frame. I was in intensive care for 3 days, and out of work for over 2 years. Bottom line is, I have a brain covered with numerous amounts a scar tissue & nerve damage and dexterity loss in both arms,hands, and fingers.

I have good strength in both arms and hands, however the control in my fingers, especialy my right hand is "inconsistant" to say the least!!!!! Many times while shooting, my fingers will "lock up" and a nice smooth release is practicaly impossible... This extremely compounds my on & off bouts of "target panic"!!! Most times when it happens, I end up throwing my release and end up with a "Holy Crap! Look where THAT one went!" shot, LMAO!!! Btw, I have NEVER even considered using a mechanical release.....

The one thing that I HAVE noticed over the years... Is that when I'm taking a perfectly natural, instintive shot. (like on game) I HAVE NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!!! Whenever and whatever I'm shooting at, (deer,squirrels,stumps) I place all of my focus on the "spot" and just let my release happen "naturaly".....

I firmly believe, that at many times, we try "too" hard at practice... Instead of consentrating on "relax,focus,and shoot!" The more we "consentrate" on our shooting, the more we overload our brain & muscle memory, causing us to "overload" the system, and letting it break down, as opposed to just letting it happen "instinctively".

Just one old Woodchucker's thoughts.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
Brent.

Here's something for you to ponder...and some of the naysayers of what traditional archery really is.

Back in the 1880's there was a device called a clutch.   It wasn't a string loop, thumb ring, but a full blown mechanical release

What constitutes traditional is an opinion!
If you'd like more information I can give you names, specific dates and patent numbers along with photo's!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
i had an original edition of dr.robert elmer's treatise on "modern" target archery.  the "clutch" mechanical release was written about by elmer and others, as it was used in early 20th century target archery.  

again, there's no such thing as the "trad police", use whatever gear you wish and call it whatever you wish.  no one will really care.

however, just as most of us wouldn't consider a cabled mechanical advantage bow a "trad bow", nor a mechanical broadhead a "trad broadhead", most would also not consider a mechanical release device as "trad".  but as always, ymmv .....
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
Due to an old shoulder injury I've been using an old winn release. Because I'm not using my fingers to pull the string it's taken a lot of stress off my shoulder. I'll be able to keep shooting some until the shoulder settles down.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
Rob.  I think what the trad world needs is a history lesson before they start labeling and judging.   When it comes to stereotypes on said things.    Ie releases.  Mechanical heads etc.    even crossbows where built and used by some of the greats of trad archeys past.   Though I don't personally care for them that's a topic for a different debate.

Where not talking cables and pulleys even though I would go as far as to consider say a dynabow traditional.    There's many tools we use that people call modern that have been in use for close to 100 years. And then there tool like the dyna bow that falls in neither modern nor traditional realms.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »
Go to the shooters forum and look up MoeBow. He gives Great advise.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline rambo1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
As it's been said using a realease aid only due to a medical issue is fine no one should judge that you are using a stick bow challenge in itself I know I've been going and shooting the dart system at my local archery shop in thecwoods everywhere to work on my finger shooting again because no I've never used a release but I didn't shoot for a few months work had me tied down but Its a learning process I don't know anyone who can just pick up a recurve and be a 100% accurate shooter time patience and practice practice practice is needed I hope you can work back to fingers one day sir god bless
Black widow 2007 PSR 2 T/D recurve 60" 48#@28"
Bear kodiak hunter 1pc. 50x#@28" 60" style recurve
Kota Prairie Swift 1pc. 53#@28" 60"
Samick Leopard recurve T/D 50#@28" 60"

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:
I firmly believe, that at many times, we try "too" hard at practice... Instead of consentrating on "relax,focus,and shoot!" The more we "consentrate" on our shooting, the more we overload our brain & muscle memory, causing us to "overload" the system, and letting it break down, as opposed to just letting it happen "instinctively".

Just one old Woodchucker's thoughts.....
I am with you on that

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mudd:

Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
tony, if you have a physical condition that requires the use of any kinda release aid to keep you in the sport and hunting, it's perfectly valid from my perspective, and most would agree.  no problem, sir.

for those who have no physical issues with drawing and releasing with their bow hand fingers and decide to use a mech release aid, well, that's a different story ....
Ditto for me as well.

God bless, Mudd

PS: Those that fit into the latter category, you may choose to use one, you're not welcome to share that information on this site... why? Because we are all about traditional bowhunting. [/b]
+3
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©