3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2013 KennyM lease hunt part 2  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 KennyM lease hunt part 2
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
I would catch a ride after this Hunt with Charlie L and head back for lunch.

After a quick bit we helped Charlie place his stand over the water hole that showed so much promise.  There was no Doubt deer had been using this spot with regularity.

The stand was hung rather quickly and we went back to camp to get ready for the afternoon hunt.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
That afternoon I opted for a  change of scenery.  The wind had shifted to out of the east.  It wasnt exactly perfect for where I would be but It could be great depending on where the deer came from.

I love sitting new spots and anticipating deer from every direction.

I headed to the Birds nest blind I had built with my Dad the day before.  There are 3 Giant oaks just set in from a feild corner and on the edgeof the "Wooly Stuff".  When we built the blind there were several small rubs on the feild edge. In the feild it was cut Milo.

The are 2 fence lines that meet inside the corner of the woods, although these trees were not dropping acorns, it was evident the heavy trails were still being used.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
When I arrived at this blind, I was happy to see 2 fresh new rubs not 10 yards from our blind that appeared overnight or at least since we built the blind at lunch the day before.

The closest rub had been tracked up all around it.  you could clearly see how hard the deer had been pushing into the tree.

Furthermore there was a pile of shavings on the ground at least 3 inches deep.  The tree was carved deep.  I hoped to get a look at the Infant Tree Bully!

Rub # 1 at 12 yards

Rub # 2 at 10 yards

Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
:campfire:
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
Thank God you're alright Charlie!

Looks like the story is going to heat up!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
I wasn't much good to anyone the morning after the fall. My alarm went off and I just laid there. Soon I could here the guys stirring around and I knew they were getting ready for the morning hunt.

I couldn't stand not being up and my back hurt like hell when I first tried to get out of bed. I got up on the second try and struggled to straighten up.

I'd at least have coffee with the gang and listen in on the routine map perusal.
Once they were out the door I went back to bed. I had a few pain meds in my shaving kit and I took a  couple. They helped me get some rest as I slept the morning away.

Tom and I went into town and I bought some anti inflammatory meds. Those coupled with the pain meds had me feeling a little better by the afternoon and pain or no I wanted to get back out and sit in the woods.

With the wind just right for the "rock gap" I gave Charlie a ride in and parking the truck out of sight along the field edge I hobbled down to my spot.

A little work with my ratchet pruners I quickly had a nice enough blind a mere 40 yards from the place where I'd' taken two deer the year before.

Fixing my Millinium Tree Seat to the tree I'd built my blind around I settled down for a somewhat comfortable evening.

It was a slow evening and if my memory serves, it started to rain. By the time it was dark I was pretty wet and that never does my spirits any good.

At one point a pair of fox squirrels were racing around my little hiding place. Up one tree and down the next and never more than a few feet away.
Finally one of them lost his footing and dropped like a wet rag to the leaves and sticks just to my left.
He never missed a beat and quickly climbed back up the nearest tree to resume the chase.

These north Missouri fox squirrels are big by anybodies standards and I was reminded of the one Chuck had brought in after the first nights hunt.

That was the biggest dang squirrel I think I've ever seen. It gave him quite a rodeo before he settled the matter with a second broadhead.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
With the light fading fast I was planning my exit when I twisted around and looked way to my left across the rock gap.
A lone doe stood feeding well out of bow range.

The wind was great, I was in great cover and a handy tree blocked my outline almost completely. Add to that the fact I was Ghillied up and you'll understand why I was shocked when the deer jerked her head up and looked hard in my direction.

She finally put her head back down and went back to feeding. A minute later she repeated her maneuver.
I just couldn't figure what she was seeing. At one point she started and then trotted out of sight in the direction I knew she had come from.

A minute or two later she was back in the same place happy as a clam. It was perplexing to say the least.

I knew that eventually she would cross the rock gap but it was quite apparent that she wasn't going to do that before it was totally dark.

I sure didn't want to blow her out as I figured I'd be back in that spot the next day and was positive she'd be back if I was careful.

I did my best Lassie imitation and she bounced away into the darkness. I made my way up to the truck to meet with Charlie.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
This Afternoon sit was quiet.  I sat for several hours and had only seen one squirrel.  This was a polar opposite from my previous stand sites.

Yet I was Convinced a Buck would show up at any minute. After a few hours I doubted my blind selection. I had turned My head and saw a deer standing 20 yards from me in the Milo Feild.  This made me question how many deer had slipped past behind me.

He was  a Handsome Young 8 point Buck.  He had about a 16 inch spread and he was looking the other direction.  

This is where I think I messed up..

He looked the other way for what seemed like eternity.  If I had just convinced myself I wanted to kill him, I could have simply stood up, turned around and shot at him.  It couldn't have been any more perfect.

Instead I watched him, Part in disbeleif and a lot in awe.  I watched, and watched and watched.

Finally he looked into the woods where I was.  He turned and was headed my way.  I decided I would be more than happy to shoot this deer. At one point he looked right through me before continueing closer.  Ghillie suit worked  :readit:  )
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
You should have cut the strap before I got in it. LOL
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
(BTW Charlie I think they sell those at Bass Pro Shops  )
For cheap....

Great reading you all..

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
You should have cut the strap before I got in it. LOL
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
I'll let you catch up a little so we are in sync a little better. Don't want to confuse anyone.

And we need to remember that another group is finishing up there hunt on the lease today. They want to tell their tales as well.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
Charlie glad you're ok - kind of..

I also had a bad fall when I was in my early 20's, man, it hurt !!  I suffered from that for years and years.  

Otherwise it sounds like a fine hunt !

Keep it going guys.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
Its all on you Charlie-s . Don't think this group is on Trad Gang. They have killed one small 8 pt tho....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
Really enjoying this thread so far, except the part about Charlie Lamb falling. Glad you're okay, brother! Hope the recovery goes quick and you are pain free soon!

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
The Next Morning we are experiencing a bit of Precipitation. The forecast is for it to get worse so the conscensus is to stay in.

We all had breakfast and then went back to bed.

By Mid Day it let up a bit, I wss gettting a tinge of Cabin fever and was pracyticing off the porch.  

Charlie Had been nursing his injuries and I decided it was time to do something.  I didnt care what, just needed to stretch the legs.

I had been looking at a section of woods off teh "wooly" stuff that just screamed at me.  

Dad and I decided it was time to go in and take a look.  

On the way in it was obvious this area was getting Hammered by foot traffic.  It was hard to tell any specific direction, pattern or Trail.  Pin Oaks were dropping their fruits like rain and it was apparent the deer knew where to find easy pickings while staying in cover.

We followed a Deer trail into the area I wanted to explore and discovered no less than 20 fresh rubs.

A little deeper and we flushed a Turkey.  I was already starting to get the feeling this spot was it.  I was eye balling brush and rtrees, trying to pin point an ambush site when it happened.

We Jumped a buck.  A great Buck.  I know a buck in the 130's doesnt excite some people but to me he was a trophy.

We had quickly built some blinds to accomodate 2 different wind directions, then got out.  the rain would dissipate our scent.

Sorry guys its date night with the wife....
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
Hmmm, It's 9:37..... Alittle "late" for a "date" LOL!!!

(catch ya tomorrow, Brother!!!!!)   ;)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2013, 06:54:00 AM »
:campfire:    :archer:
PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©