3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2013 KennyM lease hunt part 2  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 KennyM lease hunt part 2
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
I turned Back around after watching the bobcat leave the premises and was listening to the Squirrels as he made his way through the "wooly".

Right in front of me at 30 yards was a deer Butt!  It wasnt moving, and as far as I could tell by body position, was looking my way.

Did it see me turn back around? was he just looking for does???? who knows but it looked towrd me for minutes.  I slowly eased my head to the side to make sure it was definitely a deer.

Yep, Sure enough!  

Eventually it must have decided the coast was clear and jumped the fence into my area, he was closing fast when I noticed a second deer behind him,  Another buck!  

Buck # 1 crossed my boot track in and became suspicious.  I never really anticipated deer to come from that direction.  He stiffened up and the hair on his back bristled up.  he wheeled out and met back with the smaller buck behind him.  

They danced for a bit in the pasture before deciding, I was harmless and definitely where they wanted to be.  

Buck #1 came back in the woods and was at 20 yards from me at this point.  Buck # 2 came into the woods and held up near the fence at 25 yards.

Buck Number 1 didnt offer me a shot and walked within feet of my other blind. I could have poked him with an arrow if the wind was right.  He was slight quartering to me.

My Bow was up and fingers on the string only 15 yards seperated me and the other blind.  He was inbetween us.  I needed for him to turn just a bit and get distracted for a second.

He turned!!!  

Unfortunately he turned right Toward me.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Storytelling ability must come with the name!!  :bigsmyl:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
Here this handsome 8 Point buck is walking directly at me.  I  felt so small squinting my eyes and looking down.  My Guillie suit was being tested to the extreme today.

At any minute I was anticipating for him to turn,  I was thinking he could look back and check on his buddy, who i was oblivious of by this time.  But NO, he just continued toward me.

Stupid deer, dont you know there is  a brush pile here?  turn!  He came closer and closer, Directly at me.

This all is getting so intense, I feel like exploding. My heart is racing and Buck number 1 gets closer and closer, now closing within 10 yards, 8 yards, 5 yards.  

No way!!!! This thing is gonna Kiss me  :scared:  

I cant beleive it, It stops 3 yards on the ground, Staring into my Soul.  This is INTENSE!  Here is a beautiful young buck so close, I can poke him with an arrow.

Thats fully what I intended to do  :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
:help:    :help:    :help:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by kennym:
Storytelling ability must come with the name!!   :bigsmyl:  
He wasn't like this when he left here......I think Mr. Lamb gave him some coaching!!  :goldtooth:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
On the ground - 3 yards!!! Now you talking my language!!! Intense is the ONLY proper word to describe an encounter like that!!!! Awesome!!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
Well this is the  other Charlie finally jumping in. Back last night from hunting. I hope Charlie will add some pictures for me. First I want to Thank Terry Green and Charlie Lamb for making this happen. Since Charlie moved to NY there is little time together, much less quality huning time. Just sorry Terry was not able to make it. But meeting Charlie Lamb was special.
I arrived early on Friday and met up with Kenny. What a great guy. After a good visit, he showed me the lay of the land and took me to town to purchase my license. Once back some small talk and he was going back to work. The plan was to suprise the Charlie's on the porch, But Kenny sujested that I should be in the woods. Who am I to argue. I climbed into the stand suggested and started my hunt, not long this white Toyota came driving in, first thoughts were who the heck!!!!  Then I saw Charlie and waved. It was good to see him.Charlie texted how they just messed up some guys hunt from WI. Far from the fact. I saw so much wild life that night, nothing could screw  it up. Squirrels, hawks, owls, wood peckers, song birds,a flock of turkeys and a very nice 8 point buck walked right up to my ladder. To bad I was watching the turkey when he walked in on the blind side, No way for a shot and he walked back the way he came. I wanted to get down and get to the cabin,but 3 more deer came to the field right where I had to leave, so had to wait for them to exit to get back and meet my son and the other Charlie. What a great day!!!
Life at it's Longest is Short

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
What a good evening first a big hug for my son and a hearty hand shake from Charlie L. Some snacks and Tom showed up. After all were settled, or host showed and more great conversation and planning over the maps. Soon was time to turn in and dream of the day to come.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
:coffee:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: November 12, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
:clapper:     :clapper:    :clapper:  Well done!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: November 12, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
I'd just taken the camera away from my eye after taking the doe's picture when a slight movement off to my left brought me back to reality.

A small doe was feeding just inside the fringe of brush a mere 20 yards away. I needed to stop the picture taking stuff and get with the hunting program.

From time to time the deer glanced over in my direction but didn't seem at all concerned over the shaggy lump by the walnut tree.
Finally she fed down toward the first doe I'd seen  and they were soon lost to sight.

From the way they were moving I knew they couldn't be far away. They just hadn't been in a hurry about anything.
After a few minutes I caught a flicker of movement  on a rise 60 yards away. Soon I could make out the outline of both deer.

What happened next was worth the whole trip. A loud grunt ripped through the still morning air and there was suddenly leaves crunching and limbs snapping.

Two youngsters suddenly appeared on the rise right next to the road. The grunting had increased in both volume and frequency and it was apparent that a buck had entered the mix and was harassing the adult doe.

I'd have to say that that buck used every plea in his repertoire, but the doe was having none of it. Off they went.

I could see them running off through the woods while the youngsters stood stock still and watched them go.

I didn't really expect to see them again, but shortly they came running back to the site of the initial contact.
Around and around they went and once more were speeding off through the woods.

This probably went on for 5 minutes or a little more. Finally I spotted a lone buck trotting off for parts unknown and the doe and her offspring were nowhere to be seen.

By now it was getting up in the morning and I figured it was about over for the day.
I hauled myself out of the lawn chair and stretched stiff muscles.
It seemed like a good idea to go and check the area where the doe and buck had run back and forth so much.
If the sign warranted I'd make a blind close by.

After just a few steps I found that there was an old fence that served as the boundary of the yard around the trailer.
Right where I'd seen the little doe there was a gap in that fence and a trail ran from it down into the woods.
Hmmmm. That made sense.

I was just easing forward a couple of steps at a time when I spotted a familiar shape protruding from behind a big oak about 40 yards down the trail.

One of the does stood feeding with half her body showing. I mapped a path to her in my mind and took a couple of steps in her direction and stopped.
I had to be sure I knew where her eyes were before making more moves.

Her head was totally hidden by the oak so I took a few more steps. The grass was soaked from the rains and made for a silent approach. All I had to do was avoid being seen or stepping on any  limbs.

It reminded me of an old Abbott and Costello routine... "ssslowly I turned, step by step...

Soon the doe stepped from behind the tree moving from my left to my right. She glanced my way, but paid no attention to me and went back to feeding.

So it went. I'd take a few steps and she'd take a few. Slowly I was closing the gap. I kept my eyes open for other deer but could see none.

At last I was within twenty yards but the doe had fed behind a screen of limbs which prevented a shot.
I could see an opening that she would soon feed through and turned my body to address that location. I'd take the shot when she got there.

Finally she fed into my window. All I had to do was raise the bow, draw and shoot. I waited until she was wide open and had turned quartering away. Her head was shielded by her body so I came to full draw and held for an extra instant.

There was hardly any way I could shoot this deer wrong from the angle I had.
I don't remember consciously releasing the arrow. The white fletch flashed toward her vitals and disappeared in a blur of movement.

I was positive the shot was good. It felt good before, during and after release. But as soon as she bolted I could see a ball of white on the hillside right behind her. My arrow sticking in the leaves.
Usually they aren't that easy to see due to blood coating the fletch. I wondered.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
I almost backed out of there to give her time to expire but I was having reservations.

After a couple of minutes I eased forward. No hurry. I stalked my arrow sticking in the dirt.
Long before had the arrow in hand I knew I had somehow missed. The arrow looked clean.

When I finally took it in hand I could see that there wasn't a speck of anything on it. I even put my nose to it to confirm that way. Nothing.

All I could figure was that she had jumped the string. After two straight years with a Hill style longbow the Silvertip had seemed loud. I sure didn't think it was that loud, but apparently I was wrong.

I headed back to the cabin for lunch.

Mid day the guys went with me to a spot I'd selected for a stand while stalking the doe.
We soon had a low ladder stand set up and judicious trimming done.
I knew this spot would produce.

Well, what we think we know isn't always the way it turns out. I saw nothing that last evening.

It had been a great hunt and packing up the next morning wasn't a happy time. Sore back or not I wasn't ready for the hunt to be over.

I'd spent time with a good friend and made two new friends. The hunting was great as usual and the weather not too bad all things considered.

Charlie and I had a real good visit heading for the airport and home. As he walked through the airport door I wondered when we'd meet again.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: November 12, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
Hopefully I will catch up  with this one.....had long weekend filled with several events.....

Yeah....I missed ya'll too....

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: November 12, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
Sure would have been great getting to meet you Terry, hope things are slowing down for you and you are getting some woods time. Charlie tells it like it was and will never get tired of reading his story. Just finished his book. A very great read. Thank you,
I saw more deer the week on Kenny's lease than my whole last year in WI. Passed on a nubbin buck one night in the stand that Charlie proclaimed 2 deer would die. Did not know if there were rules for what size to be shot and what deer were leagel game. Soon found any deer you are comfortable with, was okay to shoot. I told them the little guy still had milk on his lips and they left me alone on that. The next night I had a very nice 9 or 10 point 2 1/2 year old buck come in the onluy place he should not have come and of course the thickest. I had just a little over a 20 yard shot at a quartering away shot at a rib cage. I would have had to shoot through a hole in the brush. I passed and now second guess myself on that thought. I know now I could have made that shot. So Charlie was right about the spot. The only 2 deer seen there could have been taken. But all I hope for is a oppertunity on any hunt and on this one I had 2 and chose to pass on both. So a succeful hunt for me. I saw deer most days out and had plenty of turkeys visit, just out of range other than 2 very noisy hens that roosted right above me. They were not happy when I climbed out of that tree that night and the whole flok scattered to a new spot to rest for the night.
In sneaking out that night I tripped on some mutifloral and reached out to catch myself. I found a tree to stop the fall. But it turned out to be a locust. Their locust there are nothing like ours. Right after dinner and a some great tasting peach cobbler Charlie L. brought, I had to spend some time digging a few thornes out of my hand. But the cobbler was outstanding.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: November 12, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
Now here I am staring face to face with an 8 point buck, hiding behing my little bow.

Here I am standing where the deer was looking at the blind:

Here I am in the blind Looking to where the deer was.  He stopped right behind the closest tree, examined me, then walked in front of the tree where he turned broadside to me.

Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: November 12, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
So this deer walks off but kept his stink eye on me and I felt I would not be able to draw while he was that close.  

As he walked past, I decided I would turn my attention to his little freind who was still back by the edge of the pasture.  I sat in anticipation.  If he came my direction, I knew I would have a 20 yard shot or less. The way the woods laid, I knew a broadside shot was inevitable.

With my nerves still racing, I sat as motionless as a shaking lump of nerves could sit.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: November 12, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
As Usual with any time I go hunting, things dont go exactly as planned.

Curious Buck Number 1 gets right behind me. I am not sure how far but couldnt have been more than 5 yards.  He gets a whif of my scent and starts walking quickly back the way he came.

OK, No problem, shift gears.  Attention is back on the larger 8 point.

As he is walking he goes behind a cluster of trees. He is broadside at 10 yards and I start to Draw.

Lesson 2, if there is one twig that could pose a problem in your ground blind, It will be a problem.  REMOVE IT IN ADVANCE!  As  I started to draw the broadhead catches on a twig in the blind and I have to take tension off teh string and get tip loose.

At this Point the deer is moving off quickly.  Twig cleared, Bow back up, Deer passes behind another large tree Come to anchor.

He is now at 15 yards and walking quickly, broadside, he is passing my other blind now at inches.  I look ahead of him, there is a 2 foot opening, then a small sapling and another 2 foot opening.

No problem, I make this shot day in and day out at the 3d range.  Focus hard on the spot, he's in the 1st opening perfect, Focus harder, cant mess this one up.

Release the arrow, watch perfect flight.  Everything is in a fast slow motion.

Then it Happens!!!!

Perfect shot!  Killed a tree.  The only one I had to miss!!!!

:knothead:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: November 12, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Hey .....I did that also.......   :biglaugh:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: November 12, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
You need a single bevel!!

Charlie L said there wasn't much of a blood trail!!  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©