3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hang On Stands and Screw In Steps  (Read 556 times)

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
Hang On Stands and Screw In Steps
« on: November 03, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
At 54 this is getting tuff to do by myself. went this morning to refine a spot I have been hunting and seeing a lot of bucks, screw in steps liked to kill me, then pulling up that 25 lb stand and trying to get it hung took dang near an hour and I was worn out when I finished. I can remember when this was a fifteen minute job tops and would do 3-5 a morning. Whew  :banghead:
John 3:16

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hang On Stands and Screw In Steps
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
Look at treehopper bolt system.  I can put steps in a tree in less than 10 mins with a cordless drill and their bolts.  I  also have been using the muddy vantage stand and their brackets.  Stand is light and with multiple brackets i just take stand with me and use it all over.  Both products have cut tree stand set up time in half for me.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by shedhunta:
Look at treehopper bolt system.  I can put steps in a tree in less than 10 mins with a cordless drill and their bolts.  I  also have been using the muddy vantage stand and their brackets.  Stand is light and with multiple brackets i just take stand with me and use it all over.  Both products have cut tree stand set up time in half for me.
Gary, what power cordless drill does it take for the bolts...and is it very heavy to pack in?

I got the treehopper hand drill and a bit for it and cordless...but I'm getting too old to hand drill them.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
keith.  I hear you buddy,  I'm 62 and still hanging stands and loving it.  it just takes a little longer....  Tell you what,  hauling a screaming eagle 1 1/2 miles at 10,600 feet to my secrete hot spot is a grunt.
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Screw in steps can wear you out fast at any age.
 If you want to set multiple areas and leave them up maybe the 39 dollar steel 16 foot sticks would be easier. I used to use screw in steps and they require a lot of energy to install by hand.

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »
I got a 12volt compact lithium Bosch on clearance at Lowes w/2 batteries & charger for $70- charges in 30 minutes.

Bought a 6-pc Stubby Auger Bit Set by "Drill Master" from Harbor Freight for $9.00, which includes the 3/8-inch auger bit.

From a local fastener supplier, I ordered 50 Grade-8 Hex (Allen) head 3/8"Diam x 6"L (corrected) black bolts for about $1.00 each.

One fresh battery will drill about 12 to 16 3/8-inch diameter x 3-inch deep holes for about 3 stands. I drill at a slight angle down so when you place your weight on them, they're never less than level - and the bolt threads dig in too.

Carry only the bolts I need with the drill in a fanny pack or a military mag pouch.
CoilSpring

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
I can sure relate to this!

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
Keith I hear you and hate screw in steps. I got a Loc On Windwalker and its light and easy to hang.

Coil that sounds like the trick. I'm going to try it.

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
LB hntr, I have used climbing sticks only for about the last 10 years, now I remember why    :saywhat:   Usually use API aluminum. No more great deals for me.
John 3:16

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-climbing-stick-and-tree-stand-combo.aspx?a=552579
I use several of these set ups on my property. Quick and easy. My 70 year old father much rather use this set up verses the screw in tree pegs.

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
Correction to my above.. 6-inch bolts (six) not eight, but use GRADE -EIGHT yes 8 strength, so they won't bend.  I don't drill in pines, live hardwoods only, and drill 2.5"-3" deep leaving 3.5" for my hand or step.  

Stiff soled boots help when drilling, too, for the smaller diameter bolts.  You could use 1/2" diam. bolts, just harder and slower on the drill and battery.  Try both and see what's best for you.
CoilSpring

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
LW sticks!  15 yrs here.  Set up and take down every time.  Takes 10 minutes.  .  .  53 and have an inner ear vertigo disease.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
I have been getting away from the steps the last few years.  Been changing out to climbing sticks.  Just need to find something to do with the 5 gallon bucket of screw in steps now.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
I've been picking up rails and sticks the past few years. I finally have enough to work up a half-dozen stands. I still might use screw in steps the first 3-4, that I can reach from the ground and then go to the rails.

Few things more exciting than setting up on a new  stand!  A good way to relive opening morning multiple times per season!

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
I want to add that my dad has a homemade bracket with a pullie that he mounts to a climbing stick so he has a easy pull up of the stand. He pulls up the stand to whatever elevation he wants, ties it off to the ladder, then he climbs up and attaches the stand to the tree without any issues of trying to hold up the stand and mount it at the same time. Makes a world of difference.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
Get a climber.

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hoyt:

Originally posted by shedhunta:
Gary, what power cordless drill does it take for the bolts...and is it very heavy to pack in?

I got the treehopper hand drill and a bit for it and cordless...but I'm getting too old to hand drill them. [/b]
I use a makita 18v lithium and can drill 3-4 set ups with one battery.  May look into one if the small compact lithium drills just for times when I am hanging and hunting in the same day.  Having a belt clip on the drill is a big help.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
I either use sticks or better yet...ladder stands.
Faster, safer, comfortable, easy to set.
Of course if it isn't your land, you may have to use hang-ons, but then I would use the climbing sticks. Why damage the tree, by drilling or the use of screw-in steps? If you forget to remove just one screw-in, you are going to ruin some loggers day,eventually.
I also remember a friend of mine slipping while climbing. He didn't fall, but speared himself with a step thru his lung. bled like mad and almost died.
I wouldn't use screw-ins or bolts nowdays...thing of the past. too many negatives.
You might be tougher than I am, so suit yourself.
Just my opinion.
Irv Eichorst

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
Although Chippewa wedge lock is no longer building treestands (he retired), the system they used allowed one to install a lightweight "holder" system, then just place the treestand into the system.  WAY easier than messing with installing a traditional treestand.  

I noticed that Big Jim has some stand systems that have a relatively similar feature.  Check those out.  I agree with those that like the strap on climbing poles.  Yeah they are tall, and unwieldy, but once in place, they are there and pretty sturdy.

Later
ChuckC

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
The last stand I put up, I used my viper climber. Started from the top by climbing, then pulling my hang-on up. As I descended, I screwed in the steps from top to bottom. Worked better than trying to hang on to the tree and screwing them in as I go.

When you do it bottom to top, the easy ones are at the bottom, and you get tired in the most dangerous position. Be safe.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©