3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What D-shaped longbow...  (Read 925 times)

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
What D-shaped longbow...
« on: November 03, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
...is as smooth as my RER in terms of pulling? If you have shot one, you know the static tip RER has, a slight "let off" right a the end of draw. Is there a D shaped long bow that is that smooth and easy on the draw? Thanks
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What D-shaped longbow...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »
For smoothness, I have to say that my Northern Mist Shelton is right up there with some of my other bows that excel in that area.
Including my Kwyk Styk and RER XR.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
What kinda D....A straight Hill style or a Mild R/D?

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
You will have a heck of a time trying to best a Fox "Triple Crown". This is only mho of course.

Grouse

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
Smooth pull probably means different things to different people but if you are thinking of smooth as in easy pull in the later part of the draw (let off feel), that really depends on limb geometry. AFAIK no D shaped or even hybrid longbow will provide that kind of draw feeling. My Cari-bow Peregrine longbow draws smoother than any other longbow I have shot but still feel stiffer near anchor than a mild working recurve limb of the same weight.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
If you get something long enough to keep the string angle in check, and the limbs bending in the right spots. i'll bet there are quite a few winners out there in a 66" D shape.

But i would put my money on the R/D long bows that have a D shape at brace, and the working limb in the outer portion of the limb..... Also... i'd recommend bamboo cores for that added smoothness to the draw.

My Flatliner bows are smooth as silk bro.... Kirk

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
Fox Triple Crown, 21st Century Edge, or Flatliner.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I was curious if someone would mention the Mohawks. I have never shot one but seen lots of comments about them being very smooth. I have a Quillian bamboo hunter 58@28, 68amo, and I pull 29+. Its not bad at all, but was wondering if there was something out there smoother.

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
btw, Kirk, I have also been very curious about your bows for a long time...both the recurves and the longbows. I always enjoy reading your posts, especially when you talk about how you build particular bows. And yes, I've noticed some very positive comments about the flatliner. It sounds very interesting. I almost pushed the button on one in the classifieds awhile back. someday...

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
I have both a RER (borrowing) and a mohawk. I enjoy shooting the mohawk more but am more of a longbow guy. I feel that the draw cycle is much smoother for the mohawk and there is less "kick". But it seems that way for longbows in general for me. I understand your comment on let-off for the RER, seems like they do that. That said, the RER is one high performing bow, and super quiet for a recurve. It blows me how fast they shoot and how stable they are on the shot.

I gotta say that I don't think you could go wrong with a flatliner, too. I personally love the looks of Kirk's obsidians too. Have fun, hope that helps.
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
NormanDale33,
Thanks for your comment. I started this thread because of the reputation of longbows being more forgiving, which is true for my bamboo longhunter. I seem to get more consistent arrow flight with it, despite little glitches in form or release. The smoothness [and overall performance] of both my RER and my Sandy Biles Scorpion is hard to beat though, and therefore, my question. Joe

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and throw St. Joe River bows in the mix because what you describe sounds a lot like mine.

Josey has that same feel and for R/Ds their limbs do form a D. It is a unique look, but a "D" nonetheless.

Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
The suggestions I made will give you the smoothness, D shape and near or equal to recurve performance/cast.  There are other D bows, some were mentioned, but they will not equal the RER in terms of cast.  Also I love Hills but the way that type of bow shoots is quite different than a static recurve.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
My Toelke Classic was very smooth up to 28 1/2, which is the farthest I've pulled her. My friends felt the same way, one of the best bows they've drawn!
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
Dwyer original is supper smooth, I've  had a 68 incher and now have a 66 incher, 68 incher was a nudge smoother, but I like 66 for length....

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by LimbLover:
[QB] I'm going to go ahead and throw St. Joe River bows in the mix because what you describe sounds a lot like mine.

Josey has that same feel and for R/Ds their limbs do form a D. It is a unique look, but a "D" nonetheless

St Joe's are nice. My good friend Rob Jones aka robslifts here on Tradgang shoots them. I've shot both his and they were good shooters.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
It's really pretty tough comparing a static tip recurve to a long bow as far as smoothness goes. the let off feel you are getting with the RC shows up in the draw force curve as a dip.... starts out at 5-6 pounds per inch then drops down to 2# or less in some designs, then slowly climbs back up towards the tail end of the draw.

Now a long bow stores it's energy differently throughout the whole length of the limb on some, and just at the outer two thirds of the limb on others.... What shows up on the draw force curve is a bit less preload starting at 4-5 pounds per inch then dropping down to 2.5 PPI to 3 PPI throughout the rest of the draw clear to your anchor point....

There are died in the woll long bow guys that much prefer that steady increase in the draw, rather than the let off the RC bows give you. So smoothness of draw is a relative term in many ways.

If you like a shorter bow with deep core long bow limbs you can push/pull to string in the feild,the R/D design is hard to beat.

My 60" Sasquatch hybrid LB can be built to draw 33" and still hold an excellent string angle, with no finger pinch issues at all, and can put out speeds of over 200 fps at 9gpp depending on limb materials and draw length.... It's still my best seller, but the SS RC is coming on strong....

There are a bunch of excellent bowyers on board here that can offer you smoothness and excellent performance too bro...

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
Hey Joe Dunlap you know that my st joe is as smooth as silk I love it next time we meet up I'll let u shoot another one hopefully in Wyoming or minyan next yr
St. Joe River Bows

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
Thanks Rob, can't wait!

Offline Skates

• Trad Bowhunter