3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Easy way to split turkey feathers?  (Read 1446 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Easy way to split turkey feathers?
« on: January 20, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
I have been through almost this entire sight now, and I like all the thing-a-majigs and gizmos. Does anyone have a simple way to split whole wing feathers? I have tried a knife numerous ways and end upcutting through em. ANy ideas or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Easy way to split turkey feathers?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
I use a large-handled X-acto knife, the kind with the burgundy handle.  Drill the proper sized hole in a block of wood, insert the knife, and put the whole thing in a vise, blade up.  You can probably skip the block, but I like to protect the handle from the vise.  Clip the end of the quill with wire cutters to give you a "square" end and just (CAREFULLY) push the feather through the blade.  It seems to me to be easier to control the feather going through the knife than it is to control the knife going through the feather.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
Sounds great, I will give it a try. Once again this site comes through.....Thanks for your quick response. I will let ya know how that works for me.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
Hmmm, I need to try that (for when I don't want the base as soft as when you split them by pulling apart, as on Ferett's site).

"Ro-osssse, get the bandages ready."   :D
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »
Think I'd just push to start, then pull. I like my fingers just the way they are!

I split feathers on a board with my pocket knife. Start at the big end of the quill and do sometimes pull the feather with the point of the knife stuck in the board.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
I do it on a wooden board with a utility knife.  I start on the thick end and just run the blade down.  

I made a clamp from sheetmetal for grinding.
1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Offline Slimpikins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
bandsaw... its real simple. straight helical clamp on a table grinder to finish.

Offline Coachy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 03:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Slimpikins:
bandsaw... its real simple. straight helical clamp on a table grinder to finish.
ROFLMAO ,,bandsaw ???? Talk about overkill   :biglaugh:

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Slimpikins:
I would think a bandsaw would tear or at best give a rough edge.  A utility knife blade gives a nice clean sharp edge, ready for grinding.  Only takes a second to slice down the quill.

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Offline dj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
Does anyone split them with their fingers the way the ferret does on his website?
"Carve a little wood, pull a few strings, and sometimes magic happens".....Gepetto

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by dj:
Does anyone split them with their fingers the way the ferret does on his website?
Sometimes depending on the mood I'm in.  Both ways work just fine.

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
I get them started using an xacto on a board, then I carefully pull them apart.  Then they go into a straight clamp and are ground on a belt sander.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys....I guess I will try em all and see whats best for my lack of finesse....lol.
                         -Jamie

Offline Terry Riley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
I scribe a line down the center of the quill with an exacto then penetrate the quill on the same scribed line leaving the point of the exacto in the board and pull the feather through. The blade follows the scribed line. I use the exacto blade with the angled edge. Just pull the quill through the blade slow and steady.

Terry

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
A Rotary cutter,has worked well for me.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
Got them all split. Tried each way, they all worked great. ended up with the knife and board method for most of em. Made up a clamp and will be using the belt sander on em. Again, thanks for the help everyone...I would have ended up with a pile of useless pieces if I didntget any help...lol.
                         -Jamie

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out the "straight helical clamp".  :jumper:  

This is good info, though.  Planning to try my own feathers shortly.  Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©