3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: walnut  (Read 371 times)

Offline badhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
walnut
« on: September 10, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
hi again i promise this is my last post for today. I have about 300 to 600 board ft of aged walnut12+ yrs from wood working all rough cut 1" thick was going to sell to help with getting a new bow.
But was wondering if walnut would be suitable for arrows or bows? and has anyone tried it?

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: walnut
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
Walnut  can be tricky for a selfbow, but it makes beautiful contrasting riser and overlay material and is a sleeper lamination wood. (meaning it performs well)
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
You might contact the bowyer you are interested in getting a new bow from and try to work out a trade for some.  I LIKE WALNUT!!!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline ONE SHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
It all depends on how the Walnut was cut and cured. Cross cut of the grain, parrallel with the Grain, Vertical with the Grain, is it clean clear of knots, or does it have a lot of cracks and checks from drying to quickly? all these need to be considered before you can say yes or no if the Walnut will make a good Bow.

Is it all heart wood? Combination of Heart wood and Sap wood? Did the Walnut trees come from bottom moist land along a creek or River where it would grow really fast, or was it grown on high ground, all these factors come into play to determine what quality of Bow you will end up with.

But YES Walnut does make a very beautiful Bow if it is cut Flat Grain, fast, and hard hitting Bow, if it is backed with F/G On back and belly. In fact it is one of the better Wood laminations for making  Bows....ONE SHOT...  :)    :)    :)

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
Try custom calls online, some of the call makers might be interested in it. Mike
Big Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©