3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blessed with Doe  (Read 511 times)

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
Blessed with Doe
« on: November 04, 2013, 01:43:00 AM »
After going 0 for 5 last season and making a poor shot on a doe a couple weeks ago, I was beginning to feel cursed!  Ok... cursed in a strong word.  I felt like for whatever reason, I just couldn't make it happen.  Well, it finally happened tonight and I feel... blessed!

After church I took a good ole' Sunday afternoon nap while watching the Cowboys and Vikings.  Woke up about 2:30, got some coffee and headed out.  I decided to hunt a stand that's in a big burr oak tree on the edge of a soybean field.  I took a panoramic pic with my iphone several weeks ago...

There is a creek right behind the stand with a trail coming up out of it and right under the big burr oak.  

The bean leaves have dried up and the deer are no longer hitting the field, but I've discovered they love those big burr oak acorns and they have been hitting them hard.  I hunted the stand last Tuesday and had two does and their fawns start to come it but they winded me.  It was absolutely calm that night but my scent just drifted down to them.  Tonight there was a steady south wind which made it perfect as they always approach from the south or east (behind the stand up out of the creek).

About 5:00 I had been sitting and decided to stand up as the magic hour approached.  I looked behind be before getting up and spotted a doe on the other side the creek.  I carefully stood and looked over my right should between a big fork in the tree and saw the two fawns in the creek bed.  After about 5 minutes they made their way up the bank right under my tree.  They were big healthy fawns and I decided I would take momma if I got a shot.  She finally appeared with the fawns but stayed stayed behind the tree eating acorns for several minutes.  She stayed on the creek bank behind me but slowly moved to my left enough that I had a shot.  When all six eyes were finally preoccupied (that is stressful!), I drew.  

There was a small cluster of leaves between me and her vitals but at 5 yards,  I was confident I could punch through them.  I focused on one of the leaves and dropped the string.  I didn't see the impact due to the leaves but I heard the smack!  

She bolted forward to my south and as she ran I saw the hit was pretty high, but with the steep angle I hoped it would do the job.  Seconds after I lost sight of her I heard a crash, but I wasn't convinced she went down.  I knew the direction she ran would take her back across the creek so I figured what I heard was here crossing.  

I got down and found my arrow snapped off just a few feet from impact...

What I saw didn't encourage me.  There was meaty sludge on the arrow... looked like backstrap.  So I started looking for blood and there was virtually none.  I followed her trail 15 yards and found one drop.  So... I decided to back out and give her some time.  I drove home, had some dinner and hung out with the family.  I texted my buddy Neal whose place I am hunting and we agreed to meet at 8:45.  

I got there about 8:30 and started looking.   No blood.  I decided to walk back into the woods towards the creek and in the direction I heard the crash.  Fifteen yards in I reached the creek and thank the Lord... there she laid!

She hadn't gone 50 yards.  The rest of my arrow laid nearby.

The exit wound ended up looking perfect...

After a year long draught, it was a deeply satisfying moment...

(It was last day of muzzleloader, hence the orange hat!)
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blessed with Doe
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 01:49:00 AM »
Entry...

Exit...

Got to put the new LaClair Skinner to use...

You can see those big burr oak acorns in the back of my truck.  I pulled my truck up under that tree and parked it there while looking for her.  Those fell in during that short period of time!

This was my first deer with my new Cari-bow Wolverine Longbow.  It's 61# @ 28.  I'm drawing 30".  Shooting Beeman Classic 400s tipped with Woodsman Elite.

Thanks for reading!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:00:00 AM »
As for the lack of a blood trail.  I cant figure it out.  The autopsy revealed that I clipped the top of her off side lung.  I guess because the arrow exited just behind her shoulder that the hole was restricted somehow.      :dunno:   Weird.
Tim Salters

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 02:40:00 AM »
Congratulations on your doe and great story!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 03:43:00 AM »
Great job!!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 05:14:00 AM »
You were truly Blessed with a fine deer Brother, the shot looked perfect. Congratulations on a fine animal and a successful hunt.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 05:23:00 AM »
nice job Tim! I love putting them in the freezer.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 06:36:00 AM »
Congrats Tim and a great job with sharing the hunt!

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 06:48:00 AM »
Congratulations and thanks for sharing....

><>>
Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »
Congrats, on a fine deer. thanks for posting.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »
I shot a spike horn exactly in the same place with the same results. It seems to me that the floppy skin when the arrow exited "sealed" the wound, sort of like a loose band aide,  and made the blood trail less than ideal. At the time I was shooting four blade Phantoms.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
Wow Tim!! Great job and great Story! Now you can concentrate on that big buck. What is your family going to do with all that venison? I know your boy had a good youth hunt earlier in the year. Congrats to you and yours and more will surely come with the tension relaxed. Great Job!!!!!
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »
Thats how you get out of a slump!

Congrats on a great doe!

Bisch

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
Congrats!!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
great story..Congrats!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
Congrats!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
Nicely done!!!  Congrats!!!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
Congratulations on a fine doe!!   :thumbsup:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
congrats
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
Congrats!
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28