3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: merino wool longjohns...  (Read 776 times)

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
merino wool longjohns...
« on: November 04, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
Where would be the best place to find these?
Even better if they ever have any seconds or close-outs.
Irv Eichorst

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: merino wool longjohns...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »
3Rivers carries them but they are not seconds or close outs. High quality though!
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
I got some, not 100% wool, at Cosco last week-not cold enough to try them yet.  These were $20, not the $33 a piece I found on line, but they do look good and stitching is solid.  Never saw any sheep in Viet Nam, but that's where these came from.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
If you get them, make sure to store them in a place where you're sure there are no moths, or else take steps to prevent moths from eating them.

I bought a set of top and bottom merino long johns several years ago in an after Christmas sale and put them away in an old footlocker I use to store backpacking things.  Months later, when I got them out to use them, they were full of holes.  I don't mean one or two, but a dozen or more holes.  I don't remember what I paid for them on sale, but retail was $100 or more, down the drain.

Some people have told me that they come equipped with moths from the store.  So when I got replacements, the first thing I did was to freeze them in my freezer for a month or so to kill any hitchhikers.  Then, even though it gets my wife's nose out of joint, I put some moth balls in with them when I stored them.  No more holes, although my wife still complained about the smell of moth balls two weeks into our backpacking trip.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Minus 33 at Hanksclothing.com    :thumbsup:
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
Be sure to check that the wool comes from a provider that guarantees non mulesing on their stock. Mulesing is most common in Australia. Other than that merino wool makes great clothing for cold days. Here in Norway it is a necessity during the coldest winter days. Good hunting  :)
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »
Keep an eye on camofire.com  Got some core4 tops on there. Black or camo.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline Mamba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
I wear my wool long johns all  the time.  I have a pair of smart wools and a pair of cabelas.  I like them both but I like the cabelas better.  I work outside so I wear the,all winter.
peter Osimanti

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
Check out Sierra Trading Post.  Last week I was able to get 5 pieces (3 tops and 2 bottoms) for about $200 total.  They have closeouts on several brands.  I got Smartwool and First Lite brands. All were 100% merino wool.  Also, if you order, they send you a gift certificate for your next purchase.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline Son of Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
Minus 33, love them.
Accuracy kills every time. Everything else is just numbers.
Mike Schuch

Martin Savanah 50lbs
Bear Montana 50lbs
Prairie Predator 45lbs

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
I bought mine from sierra trading post last year.  Sign up for their deal flyer and you can run across a 25% off and free shipping pretty often.  I got the medium weight smart wools.  I tried another pair first, and sent them back.  The smartwools were worth the exra $$.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Smart wools for me! Worth every penny!

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Thank you for the tips on where to buy and also for the moth prevention. I would never have thought of that.
I have used the lighter weight SmartWool before, but darned if I can find where I hid them.
Irv Eichorst
 www.truesouthadventures.com
Irv Eichorst

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
-33 for me. They are proven and fit well too.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
I just got mine last week, off the big auction site, good price, got minus33 and really like them. Mid wt top and bottom, and expedition wt 1/4 zip top. Now last nite I ordered a Sherpa vest from asbell, my heavy wt wool shirt and my wool vest, on top and I am good for some cold weather here in ne wi.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by SveinD:
Be sure to check that the wool comes from a provider that guarantees non mulesing on their stock. Mulesing is most common in Australia. Other than that merino wool makes great clothing for cold days. Here in Norway it is a necessity during the coldest winter days. Good hunting    :)  
Ever seen a fly blown sheep?

As for the OP, Sierra Trading Post is your best bet.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 05:57:00 AM »
Okay, I'll bite.  What's a mulesing...donkey songs?  If it's anything like m-o-l-e-s-t-i-n-g that may be common with sheep in Australia, but it's a felony here in the US of A! lol
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
Here's some wool notes:
After a bunch of research, I decided on Cabelas First Lite Merino heavy weight...mostly because I have points to spend. 3 Rivers Ullfrotte sounded really good and I would have bought that if it wasn't for the points I can use.
Neither 3R nor Cabs has great pricing or much for discounts like the Sierra Designs or Campmor, but their selection is good if you need something right away.
I have some of Asbell's pullovers and highly recommend them. (bought second one as a gift)Roger Norris can fix you up with a new hooded pullover with chest handwarmer pocket and drawstring bottom. Very nice.
I was just needing base layers now.In reading some other reviews, I learned that Cabela's Wooltimate with windshear is too noisy for bowhunting and that their Polartec Thermal Zone Base Layer has seam unraveling issues.
Just thought I would pass this on as you all have been kind enough to offer me some direction.
Thanks again.
Irv Eichorst
 www.truesouthadventures.com
Irv Eichorst

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »
I got a pair of Minus 33  Expedition Weight (heaviest) Bottoms should be here tomorrow. I already have the Minus33 Merino Wool 708 Denali Expedition Full Zip and it was so warm had to have the bottoms. Got the mid weights also couple yrs ago. Good stuff.

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
Close to three decades of bowhunting and I've tried just about everything. The Smartwool heavy weights are the best long underwear I have ever owned. They are a bit pricey but worth every penny. Kept me warm on a single digit waterfowl hunt on the Madison River in Montana and countless other places.

There are REI stores popping up everywhere and they carry them. You can stop by and check them out. REI has a customer loyalty membership and I get coupons and discounts all the time and you can use them on Smartwool. Get the sock liners too!

-Brian

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©