3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Unusual shelf wear?  (Read 685 times)

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
Unusual shelf wear?
« on: November 04, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »

Is it unusual to get wear on the shelf? Shooting gold tip 55/75 30" with 300 up front. The arrow fits on nicely. No over hang. Shooting semi American longbow 66"62@28. I draw 27.5"

Ty
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Unusual shelf wear?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
Looks like that bow is being shot and not just looked at . It happens , thats why the shelf material needs replaced ocasionally . Hitting back that far could be a brace height or spine problem if the shelf is squair to the draw . Check to see where the arrow touches the side plate while it is knocked and not drawn . if it is touching there you could build out a small bump under your side plate material .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Thanks Graps! Ok so the BH is at 6.5"
How do I check to see if shelf is square to the draw?
Sorry, new to this stuff. Thanks again for the info.
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
See where the arrow touches the side plate . Is it paralell with the arrow or is at an angle . Not a problem if you put like a pice of rubber band under the side plate to build it out . That could change the spine if the arrow some but you could add a heavier point . Do you have any body that could help you in person ?
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
What Graps said.  I use a length of paper match under the plate - or a piece of nylon cable tie or leather if it needs a bit more (though I like his rubber band idea).  The fletching wear on the edge of the shelf is unavoidable and harmless.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Mike,

I believe you are rather referring to the wear mark on the outer back edge of the shelf and not the obvious wear on the side plate correct?
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »
That could be fletching wear. I have a Shrew with the same wear, but it shoots fine.

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
Ya I think the wear on the outside of the shelf is fletching wear. Try shooting with the cock feather in.

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »
Sorry, not trying to hi jack the thread. But I myself have this problem, I figured it was a fletching problem; so I rotated the arrow with feathers in different directions. This didn't fix my problem... Its always shot great so I eventually just ignored it. Any pointers appreciated!

Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
That's not fletching contact its arrow contact. Its usually caused by a form problem. Could be high elbow, to much pressure on the string with the ring finger or anything that's putting downward pressure on the arrow. Shoot a bare shaft to check arrow flight, most likely it will fly nock high and left. A lot of guys shooting of the shelf think they are getting perfect arrow flight but when you see contact marks like that you for sure aren't. If you get the problem corrected you will be surprised how much your shooting improves. If you can't get the problem fixed by working on your form goto a feather rest or some other form of elevated rest.

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by 4 point:
That's not fletching contact its arrow contact. Its usually caused by a form problem. Could be high elbow, to much pressure on the string with the ring finger or anything that's putting downward pressure on the arrow. Shoot a bare shaft to check arrow flight, most likely it will fly nock high and left. A lot of guys shooting of the shelf think they are getting perfect arrow flight but when you see contact marks like that you for sure aren't. If you get the problem corrected you will be surprised how much your shooting improves. If you can't get the problem fixed by working on your form goto a feather rest or some other form of elevated rest.
Awesome, thanks 4 point. It arrived to me like that (bought used) but I have no doubt my form is poor. Would you reccomend sanding it down a little and sealing it again. Kind of "starting over"  in a sense.
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
Yes, I was referring to the outer edge, but also concerned with how far back the wear marks are. It seems both the side plate and outer shelf are wearing in the same spot. Graps, Ty, I now understand how I can build that side plate out to have contact towards the middle of the shelf. I also understand it might be my form where it's wearing on the outer shelf. I am new. No I don't have anyone to show me in person. I will definitely try to bareshaft when my arrows come in. Thank you all for your knowledge, for it is power. Power that hopefully I can share in the future.

Mike
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
Lineman, weak arrow is the cause. To correct for a weak arrow,1. Decrease your brace,2. Move your arrow rest away from the riser (build IT out)3. If your arrows are 2" longer then your draw, shortin  1" (will make arrow 5 spine heavy)4. Try using a lighter weight head......JAMES

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
Try cock feather in.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
Thanks James! Will do.
Form form form