3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back from Colorado COMPLETE  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Mr Vic at the cabin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back from Colorado COMPLETE
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
Things to leave at home when hunting in the mountains.                                Anything requiring ICE.                          You don't need 50lbs of meat.                    Leave the grill at home.                         No DVD player and movies.                        No invertor and sawz-all or chainsaw for cutting wood. (too much noise)                           Brothers or people that are not outdoor compaitable.                                     No 50lb fanny packs unless you plan on staying out at night on the mountain and one tough SOB                                            No radios!!  Coyotes will sing for you.          12 gallons of water and 48 bottles of water is too much for three people for five days.         Portable potty, too much work emptying and cleaning it every other day.                    POP and Beer  Drink water                     AND NO CELL PHONES! My brother had to talk to his wife every night. And one afternoon I heard him say, "Can you hear me Now" I was four hundred yards from camp and thought God was talking to me.                             Things not to do while camping on the mountain around the game your hunting.                   Don't slam doors on the truck.                  Talk quietly, don't say. "THROW ME A BEER SON" to loud.                                        Put the portapotty upwind of your hunting.       Or play a radio, Elk don't like Country Music.   All in all It was a great time for me because I seek different things out of a hunt than most.
"If i could help just ONE person on the good path and see things they did not understand i would feel that i have accomplished something worthy in my life."  Ken Mowery (Adkmountainman)

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
One last thing I did before I got into the truck and drove off the mountain is throw two special made wood arrows up on the mountain for some people. My first arrow was in honor of my Trad gang friends who made my life awesome the last year. It sticks in the top of a aspen tree. The other is for a good brother in honor of his son. And was shot out of the very bow his father made for me.  Voodoofire there is a arrow up in the Sangre De Cristo mountains that says "In Memory of Dusty Hartley, My hero"   Dad.  
"If i could help just ONE person on the good path and see things they did not understand i would feel that i have accomplished something worthy in my life."  Ken Mowery (Adkmountainman)

Offline swampjoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
"My brother had to talk to his wife every night. And one afternoon I heard him say, "Can you hear me Now" I was four hundred yards from camp and thought God was talking to me."

Now that's some funny right there Mr. Vic......what beautiful country and thanks for telling a great story!

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
sounds like you had a good time next time you will probley have different company in the mountains and make for a great hunt. And less meat at least you didn't go hungry or thirsty with all the meat and beer.  Its funny how some people can't leave the modern day life behind even for a week of time spent with family and good friends on a hunting trip of your life. I guess thats why some people still enjoy the kill instead of the hunt and the time spent togeather.
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline formerbutcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
Great story Mr. Vic i felt like i was there with you.   :clapper:    :clapper:
It's a great day to be alive !!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
Beautiful country Vic.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
It was great you got to hunt the mountains, just nothing like it. Even though us flatlanders, struggle with it. And it was wonderful you got to go on a hunt with your dad. (Jury's out on your brother)  :rolleyes:  Most important thing was you enjoyed yourself, nothing like medatating in the mountains. Thank you for sharing your adventure with us. I know you had a wonderful time, even with a few dampers thrown in.

Brent  :thumbsup:

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
cool story vic and i am glad ya made it back good to hear from ya.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
Yes Buck valley next time there will be alike people out there. And I sure did enjoy it and Dad did too. We're (Dad and I)talking about next year aready. But The trip wouldn't have been possible if not for one man and that man being STICKHORSE from this site. He is one of those men you meet once in a lifetime. He put us on his private land,hooked us up with maps, Tent, Heater, Cots, and didn't ask for one cent to help. Just wanted to make Dads Dream come true. A rare breed nowadays. The only regret is I wish I could have spent more time with him. And not hunting either but sitting. He was raised in those mountains and no way could anyone keep up with him.. One day in Two hours he walked to the top around and back down. Amazing!!!

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
You da man Vic!! awesome story, and great gesture,I thank you my friend!! but I have to ask, got room for another brother next year?, heck, come and hunt with me, no mountains, no complaining,lol,lol.
True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »
Nice story and great adventure. Hunting is tough but the memories you made is worth all the pain.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
No Problem Steve, Least i could do for ya. And heck yes there is always room. Don't offer me to hard or I might be at your doorstep for some fun hunting. Always looking for adventures, have no wife to complain about it now.  Joe if hunting was easy everyone would do it, right? And we don't want that!!

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
Offer,Offer,Offer, git on over here when you get a chance Vic, anytime brother!!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
How about the fourth or fifth week of October? I could Bus it from Ken"s Hunt in New York to your place before going home?

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
Great story & pics!  You made me want to be there.
What was big was not the antlers, but the chance. What was full was not the meatpole but the memory of the hunt.    --Aldo Leopold

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
Hey Bro, thanks for the great story and pictures. I almost felt like I was there, troubles and all. The knife looks good on you. I hope it came in handy.

Blessings,  Bob

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2007, 07:28:00 AM »
Sounds good to me Vic, I believe the nearest stop is at the Marion exit at the intersection of I-69 and hwy 18, or you could bus into Ft. Wayne and I could pick you up there,which may be quicker, just let me know, Perfect time to come too, pre-rut, the orange masses won't be out for another couple weeks on Nov. 15th!! And Rob says we can hunt his place too, saw some bigguns there last year, but we always got the 50,000 acres that accompany the reservois,all within an hour of my place,.......Just let me know!

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
Vic,
Don't feel like the lone ranger with the family thing....my dad, brother and I went to Wyoming 4 years ago bird huntingand it was almost exactly the same thing with us as what your family experienced.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
Great stories here.  Glad you enjoyed your trip!  Humorous tips.  Glad you were able to fulfill a life long desire of taking your dad out west to hunt.  neat stuff!
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©