3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 blade sharpening - why is this hard for me?  (Read 893 times)

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
3 blade sharpening - why is this hard for me?
« on: November 05, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
I have watched videos on VPA site and  others - it looks so simple BUT not for me...... Tried stones and a file but cannot get shaving sharp!  Why? What am I missing - pressure sensitive?
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 blade sharpening - why is this hard for me?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
i would say pressure is possibly where most go wrong. They are guite easy to get shaving sharp especially the vpa. post your procedure and we can go from there
Ron A        

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and we want our freedom"
         ~Sitting Bull

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by pamike:
I have watched videos on VPA site and  others - it looks so simple BUT not for me...... Tried stones and a file but cannot get shaving sharp!  Why? What am I missing - pressure sensitive?
I'm the same way.  I can get my woodsman heads sharp, but not shaving.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline JJACOBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
You are not the only one... I have the same problem

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
never could get the woodsmans sharp, went back to two blades...    :dunno:

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
I can't do it either… don't use them anymore…

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
The key is to finish with light strokes as flyfish said. Too much pressure is often the problem. I can make them sharp, but two blade heads are quicker and easier to resharpen with a small file or a Jewel stick diamond file. Either of those is easy to carry in the field.

I've never tried the VPA heads, but have used both Snuffers and Woodsman heads. I've killed deer with both, but still prefer Zwickey Deltas, which are easy to file sharpen, or Simmons heads, which like the jewel stick.

You might try the jewel stick on your VPA heads. I use mine on Woodsman heads. I draw the head across the file at 90 degrees to the file. Again, VERY light strokes is the rule.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 12:41:00 AM »
You aren't supposed to do this because it changes the temper of the steel, but I heat three blade heads with a small torch. Makes sharpening them a breeze. I also use a marker and a file.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »
You aren't supposed to do this because it changes the temper of the steel, but I heat three blade heads with a small torch. Makes sharpening them a breeze. I also use a marker and a file.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 01:30:00 AM »
Part of why sharpening two blades is easier than three blades is due to the collective angle the blade is sharpened at. Most double bevel two blades are sharpened at 20-25 degrees per side for a collective angle of 40-50 degrees. Double bevel three blades are 30 degrees per side for a collective angle of 60 degrees. The more obtuse angle is more difficult to get to a shaving sharp edge. To do so requires the light pressure mentioned above, insuring that the edges are evenly honed. I think it helps tremendously if you go from a file to a FLAT coarse stone (waterstones hollow out and need to be reflattened regularly), to a fine stone or sandpaper on glass.

This is actually the exact reason I began single beveling three blade heads. Sharpening on one side means the collective angle of the blade is 34 degrees. This angle actually lets me put a micro-bevel on the edge for ease in retouching and durability and still be right at 40 degrees.

I find that I can easily get single bevel three blades to shave with just a file. Stropping ups sharpness noticeably.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 02:15:00 AM »
I can't sharpen a two blade for anything but haven't found a three blade yet that I can't get to shave.  Starting with a file or corse jewelstik to start helped immensely.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 04:54:00 AM »
try DMT diasharp bench stone 8" medium coarse and then fine.
this thing is terrible for VPA 3 blades even for shaprpening dummies like me
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »
At least I am not alone!  Keep the info coming. I am going to try some of these.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »
Ive had same problem.  I recently took my VPAs and lightly stropped em on some good corrugated cardboard.  It took a lot of time but its the sharpest Ive been able to get them. I dont know if its shaving sharp but like I said the sharpest I have been able to get them. I really like the heads I sure hope I can get the knack for sharpening em.  I will be watching this thread.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
I went through same thing. Just keep doing it and it will finally click. And the you will start having bald spots on your arms. It will come. I did same as you looking through everything. And practice is what I learned.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
I would guess you aren't finishing them correctly and staying with the coarse or medium stone too long and the "burr" is making them feel not quite sharp.

I start with the coarse DMT stone and start out strong and then ease up on the strokes. i probably give each side 10 to 15 strokes. They are pretty sharp right now but not shaving sharp. Then I go to the medium stone or just right to the fine stone to take off the burr. I give it at least ten strokes per side and they will be shaving sharp when i am done.

When starting a new blade I mark each side with a black marker and will use the coarse stone untill all the marker is gone and then follow the above steps.

When i couldn't find my fine stone one time i tried to use just the coarse/ meduim stone to get them shaving sharp and it was pretty tough to get that burr off. I finally used some super fine sand paper and that worked too so if you don't have a fine stone you can use that.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
I don't see why people struggle so much sharpening a 3 blade. The only thing that is necessary to shave hair is raising a small burr on the edge of the blades by whichever method you prefer. (File, stone, etc.)Then lightly stone that burr down. Followed up with stropping on leather or cardboard, pulling the blade backwards. That is all there is to it to have them sharp enough to shave hair.

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
I dont know why people can't get them sharp either. But I am one of those people too. I have tried every method on video and even have had some great tradgangers send me instructions. I decrease pressure down to where the broadhad weight is the only downward force. You have no idea how frustrating it is. Maybe my hair is too tough LOL.

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
Jon, never tried heating them, going to have to give it a go.  I can get snuffers sharp enough to be confident with, but they don't quite shave hair.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
:laughing:    :laughing:  I have seriously considered the "too tough hair" excuse too. Tried the KME stones, files, sandpaper, jewell stik etc ec etc. I can get them sharp..passes the rubber band test, the paper test and the thumbnail test just fine but for the life of me I can not get them to shave.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©