3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BAD case of the "shoulda's"!  (Read 603 times)

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
BAD case of the "shoulda's"!
« on: November 07, 2013, 04:16:00 AM »
Tuesday I went down to visit with my uncle & check out some of his local hunting areas to see if I could find my first deer.

Found a couple small rubs, but nothing that screamed "hunt me!" So, I decided to walk down a creek & see what was shakin' and stopped on a high bank, just to watch the fish jump and soak in the beauty of God's creation. Much to my surprise, I looked across the creek and saw a beautiful 8 pt. buck cruising along on the other side of the creek!

I was standing at a sharp bend in the creek & the water was about 10 feet below me, with a 3-4 ft. bank just to my left. As he got closer, I turned slightly to my right to prepare for any possible shot opportunities (right handed shooter).

When he stopped at the point of the bend, he was facing me, put both front feet into the water and looked carefully at my side. I could almost see the wheels turning in his head, "Should I go over there & see if there's any ladies?" Then as he noted the steep climb out on my side, "Nah, forget it, I'll see what's happening this side."

While all this was going on, I was thinking, "You're not used to shooting from this high," (strictly a ground hunter here, so I don't practice from tree stands or anything), and "He looks kinda far." I'm a terrible judge of distance, so the best I can tell ya is that he was probably between 20 and 30 yards away. He was close enough that I could see the "sweet spot" behind his leg VERY well.

As he left, he offered one more good, quick shot opportunity, as he quartered away, I slightly raised my bow arm and watched him walk out of my life.

Looking back, I can't help but think that it was no more of a difficult shot than I have encountered on the 3D course, and that I SHOULDA tried to take the shot.     :bigsmyl:  

-Tony

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: BAD case of the "shoulda's"!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »
4:16 AM! Loosing sleep too? JK. The only deer I have taken was not the perfect shot choice for most people. All I can tell you is that it "felt" right.

That feeling has been few and far between for me.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
:clapper:   In my opinion , you made the right call! If you are not 100% confident in a shot, I dont think it should be taken. Becouse we owe the animals we hunt a quick and timly death. you can never take an arrow back, so a shot not taken , is beter then a wooded deer. In my opinon it takes more self controll, and a better hunter to do what you did, then to try a shot your not sure about. Best of luck to you on the rest of your season, and If you stick with it, and need the meat, god will provide in one form or another.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
Sounds like you did OK.  

We need to look at this from a larger view, with multiple aspects observed.  

Did you skillfully and successfully make a shot ?  

Did you make the correct call and not take the shot at all(because it wasn't right.. for you at that time) ?  

Did you show some forest savvy and go to the right place, stand at the right place, etc to allow the activity to unfold ?  

Give yourself some points.  You got close to a nice deer, you made some decisions and they appear to have been reasonable ones.

A less than stellar shot at what sounds like an extreme of your range, under stressed conditions and you would remember this episode as the one where you gut shot a nice buck.

I can tell you this much,  I have been at this for a long time and have killed more than a few deer, if that deer was 30 yards away, I wouldn't have shot either.

Enjoy it and go get another one.

ChuckC

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »
I REALLY appreciate y'all's input. I usually just get a lot of grief from my friends & family (good hearted) because I "still haven't killed anything." I don't want that to ever be the deciding factor when I'm faced with a shoot or no shoot situation, though. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not being too conservative though.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
When a shot opportunity presents itself if you are not 100% confident that you can make the shot the odds are very high that the results won't be good. To me confidence is very important. If I think I might fail I inevitably do. If I am very confident I can do it, that deer is in trouble.  

If it doesn't feel right, let it pass. I'd say you made a good decision.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
Just think how lousy youd feel if you put a bad hit on him. If there was any doubt in your mind well then in my opinion you did the right thing. Ive made some less than perfect hits when ive felt really confident in the situation. Get back out there and get him!

Offline hogless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
If your not comfortable with the shot don't take it . Keep at it you will get a shot with in your comfort zone and you know it will be right

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
You made the right call. I will take the " I shoulda" feeling over the " I wish I wouldn't have" feeling anytime. If your brain is telling you no its going to be hard to make the shot.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
If you have to think about the shot, better not to shoot.  When I KNOW it's right, I don't hesitate.  As soon as I start thinking, I don't shoot.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 06:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by SELFBOW19953:
If you have to think about the shot, better not to shoot.  When I KNOW it's right, I don't hesitate.  As soon as I start thinking, I don't shoot.
X2
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
You made the right choice but not taking the shot.  It's really hard for a lot of us to pass up shots and you made the right decision.  You'll see him again and hopefully within your comfortable zone.

I'm glad this thread is kicking yourself for not shooting, rather than asking advice on a poorly hit deer.  You'd feel much worse knowing you doubted the shot, took it, then wounded an animal.
>>>--------->

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
That is hunting at its finest right there.... Confidence in your ability to make a good shot is everything. if you are second guessing yourself in any way, the odds are against you.

Your statement "I can't help but think that it was no more of a difficult shot than I have encountered on the 3D course, and that I SHOULDA tried to take the shot.  [banghead] "   is totally off base.

You are going to find that enough things are going to happen all by themselves that determine whether or not a good shot is made on an animal.

If the shot feels right, take it and you'll hit your spot. If there is ever a question, or even a hesitation.... you are best off passing.

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
you did the right thing. instead of second guessing and wondering what if. spend your time thinking how can I get across the creek and where is a good pot to set up next time.

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
I have never taken a 25+yd shot at a deer. 3D targets all day long, with mostly good results. I just don't trust myself, and the deer, enough for it all to work out on long shots like that.

I would say you did the right thing by NOT shooting at that deer! What was me3ntioned above about having 100% confidence at the time of the shot is right on! If you are doubting yourself at that time, there is a good chance you will not be successful.

Bisch

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
The best course of action is to make decisions that enhance your self-respect.  Then when success comes, you'll feel 100% good about it.

I think you done good.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
You know in your heart you did the wise thing. 40 years ago I'd have taken the shot but I've mellowed. 5 years ago I had a shot at one of the biggest trophy whitetails I have ever seen while scrunched down behind the tongue of a utility trailer in my driveway but he was about 25-30 yards off and I didn't want to wound him. I know I did the right thing too.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
Not sure the shot was not well within your capability.  But that being said if you are not confident pass.  I think that dyeing committed to the shot and confident you can get it done is a big piece of he puzzle.  I have started doing a lot of shooting at 30 yards these days.  If I can consistently make killing shots at that distance 20 and under make it easy.  I did the same with the old wheel bow.  Practice at 45 and 25 becomes a slam dunk.
T ZZZZ

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
Happens more often than you think! Once you start to get into range of deer on a regular basis, you will find that only about 1/3 of those encounters happen to present shot opportunities. It's amazing how a buck will stop in the 1 spot you can't shoot....or some other similar scenario. Keep it up and you will connect soon!
Choose this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©