3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting Axe's and hatchets?  (Read 3602 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting Axe's and hatchets?
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
Any of you old guys remember the "Skatchet???
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
I second the Gransfor Burk. I have there Woodsman hatchet (i think that is its name). wonderful hatchet for campfire chores and in the woods for triming lanes.

chris <><

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
I just love this little hachet for sharpening ends of boughs to build brush blinds. Very small and light.

I don't have a sheath for this WW1 bolo but it's made to do heavy work. A serious tool used in a pinch to do amputations in the war.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
For camp use, you might as well admit that nothing beats a single-bit axe. As many have said, the GB Small Forest Axe is unbeatable. For wood-making, brush-clearing, pounding and many more chores, the axe gets the nod. The Small Forest Axe will fit in most daypacks if you need to carry it for some reason. When you really need to get a lot of work accomplished, grab an axe and get busy.  :)

Offline DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2013, 06:07:00 AM »
Go to home depot and buy either Estwings camp ax or the shorter version for about 45.00 its american made and I gauranty you cant hurt it. Holds a great edge and easy to get sharp.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
I rehafted a boys axe head that a friend gave me.  He found it for $2 at a junk store and after using a wire brush to knock off the rust and putting an $8 premium handle on it, the little boys axe is perfect.  I use it for hunting, hiking, and backpacking.  I made it a mask from some scrap 10oz leather and sharpened it up to where it'll shave my hairs off my arms in one pass.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
I always used an Estwing sportsmans axe, myself.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Ron LaClair sells neat little hawks that work great.  I carry one quite a bit in the woods, instead of any blade.  I do also have access  to my son's kukri and let me tell you, THAT is a brush cutting tool.

ChuckC

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2013, 07:23:00 AM »
After spending three weeks in an Alberta moose camp and helping split firewood for cooking and heat I was really impressed with the outfitter's Fiskars splitting axe. I bought the chopping version when I returned home. While I'm no expert "Axe Man" it is the best axe I have ever used.
Jack Shanks

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
 Hi Ron,

I have had my Shrew Hawk now for 2 years, and it is absolutely fantastic.  I showed a friend of mine, Bart Lancaster, who is one of the top outfitters in North America, and he liked it so much he ordered four.  Last year I cut up an entire moose with it and chopped through the spine with no problem.  I split the bull into four pieces using only the hawk.  Being a taxidermist by trade I know good steel when I see it.  After 2 years of using it I have not had to sharpen it once.  Fantastic steel.  Please let your blacksmith know I appreciate so much the product he is building.  I just helicoptered into some of the most remote wilderness in North America spending a week there, and my Shrew was with me. I realize that your blacksmith is getting older, and one day I will not be able to get another, so I want to order 2 more. One is for my son who one day will grow into it, and the other one is for a dear friend who was with me on the trip in the mountains by chopper. He told me if I ordered again to please order him one, so I will get it for him as a gift. I will order both hawks with a belt sheath. Also feel free to use this letter to promote the hawk.  I feel when I find a good product I like to share it with everyone. It is very rare that this happens now in our disposable world. This product is worth every penny and alot more. Once again thank you for providing a quality product.

Best regards,

Roger Britton

Majestic Mounts

Telkwa B.C., Canada

http://shrewbows.com/shrewhawk/
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
Most of the time a hawk or hatchet will get left in camp or in the truck. With the light weight of the Shrew Hawk and the Frontiersman carry system, it's always there when you need it.

http://shrewbows.com/shrewhawk/

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
Love my ShrewHawk. Ron, I have a call into you for one of those fancy shoulder sheaths.

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
Yep,Gransfor is the way to go!!!!

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
Looks like Santa is bringing me a GB forest axe. Bidding on Norlunds  and buying a Cold Steel as I wait for St. Nick. Thanks for all of your time and replies fellas, much appreciated.   :notworthy:

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
I'd suggest the small leather handle hatchet by Estwing. I love mine.

Sportsman axe.......E14A is smaller than the E24A....and is my favorite.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
I just carved that handle for this one from a kiln dried plank of Hickory yesterday. I forged the head from wrought iron and forge welded a steel bit in for the edge. It's about 16 inches over all. It's got some "bite" to it.

"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
Lin, are you still making these?

I've lusted after that one for years...PM me a price if you do please.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
I love my Shrew Hawk.  It goes with me on all my scouting expeditions.  I even used it to split some maple and oak firewood in the back yard this summer to get a fire going in the new back yard fire pit.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
I have the Shrew hawk and the Cold Steel Trail hawk. I also have a few others, but those are the two that get the majority of the work.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©