3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting Axe's and hatchets?  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting Axe's and hatchets?
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
Here's a picture of my Gransfors Burks.  I made the sheaths with a holster clip - really handy to clip on a pack or belt.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
This is a replica of a Ca 1750's British Light Infantry axe copied fromone excavated at Ft. Ticonderoga, made by Jack Vargo out of Watertown NY.  I've never carried it while bowhunting, but I always have it when I'm out with my flintlock.  I actually collect original 17th and 18th C axe heads.

Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
also consider a hunters/canoe axe as well...good vintage axes and hatchets made by likes of Norlund, Plumb, True Temper Mann, Stanley, etc...hand forged with two part heads...softer for main head and carbon steel for bit for holding an edge.

Gransfors Burks makes a nice Hunters axe today still.... not a belt carry setup but easily for backpack and canoe carry that will do double duty as camp axe for downing or clearing trees and even quartering up an elk or bear to pack out a bit easier than true tomahawk.

That being said...still a tomahawk has an allure to me so both are applicable for different tasks and needs.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline KSPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »
This is a great thread!  The Gränsfors look amazing and now, thanks to you guys... I think I might have to invest in one.  So, for basecamp use to chop up some local timber to feed a shepard stove would you go with a small forest axe or maybe a small splitting axe?    :campfire:

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2014, 03:28:00 PM »

I have two of these I have had for over thirty years - would love a new pipe axe but can't justify buying another. This model is not light - all steel
Weight is a huge factor, I would think little heads and wood handle - I have always like Ron's stuff. There was also a guy who sold a few on the sponsor classified area like a year or two ago - really fancy and like 400 bucks (pipe axe type)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
Well, since Ive started this thread Ive gone silly buying hawks. Ive bought a Condor Greenland pattern, an awesome Fiskars, a Harbor Freight fireman's axe which Ive customized and a Cold Steel Trail Hawk. I have a Gransfors Bruks coming next month.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
Great stuff fellas. Rob, they don't sell them at my Lowes. Great hawk Major. And Craig, that clip sheath is real handy looking.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
Hawks are almost as addictive as bows!!

I had 3 for a while, but a few months ago gifted one to my brother.  My current favorite is a very simple French trader's hawk hand forged out of 5160 leaf spring steel by an American blacksmith with a simple hickory handle.  Thing is tough as nails.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
Nice Boone Hawk!   I have  a La Clair Hawk and while the quality is right up there I do feel that it is a little light and the handle is too short. To each his own.  I have a Vector Hawk that I prefer over it. My Vector hawk is a brown/rust handle with a black head. I have a cold steel hawk in the vehicle and a Fort Turner hawk too.  I'm not an expert but I've used the La Clair and the Vector Hawk quite a bit.  For camp I like an axe.  A Council Tool Hudson Bay Velvicut model or an Older Snow and Nealy  Hudson Bay model for canoe or base camp.  A full axe at home and my inlaws cabin, working on cleaning up 3 axes and rehafting them when the garage warms up...

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
Well, since Ive started this thread Ive gone silly buying hawks. Ive bought a Condor Greenland pattern, an awesome Fiskars, a Harbor Freight fireman's axe which Ive customized and a Cold Steel Trail Hawk. I have a Gransfors Bruks coming next month.
:clapper:    When in doubt - GET THEM ALL!
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
Huh...  I dunno how I missed this thread the first time around.

I'm another died in the wool Gransfors Brux axe nerd.  The two I pack most often are the Small Forest, and their newer Outdoors Axe (which is very tomahawk like)  Not a lot of guys knew about the Outdoors Axe, it debuted in 2009, but wasn't on their website until recently.

Stolen from interwebs pic

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
  I have a La Clair Hawk and while the quality is right up there I do feel that it is a little light and the handle is too short. To each his own.  
Michael, the Shrew Hawk is suppose to be a light weight ax that is convenient to carry and doesn't get left in the truck or in camp. For someone that wants a bigger hawk then the Trappers Companion will fill the bill.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Panhead Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2014, 11:57:00 PM »
I'm like Dan. I don't know how I missed this thread first time around. I am enjoying it.
I have a Trappers Companion w/ the shoulder rig and I really like it. With the shoulder sheath, it is always there, but never cumbersome. I carry it not only hunting, but also knocking around on my land. Very high quality.
66" 7 Lakes Longbow 55 @ 29"
62" Firehawk 53 @ 29"
66" Big River R/D Longbow 55 @ 29"
64" Big River R/D Longbow 51 @ 29"
'59 Big River Recurve 53 @ 29"
64" Sands"Kestrel"Longbow 47 @ 29"
One Osage Selfbow

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2014, 12:23:00 AM »
I love axes and I have a bunch of them.  Having said that I'll take a folding saw for hunting over an ax any day.

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
Believe you me Ron I have looked at your Trappers hawk more than once--top quality--with the 4 hawks that I do have--numerous axes, hatchets, and other sharpies---there is only so much money to go around--really do like the frontier sheath with the Shrew hawk I do have!--like you said too light to leave behind---

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2014, 07:54:00 AM »
This is my new hunting hatchet. This is not just any hatchet, it's a gift from Daniel "Yononindo" from across the pond. Daniel shared some of the history of the family that makes these, the actual makers initials are imprinted on each hand made hatchet.

Daniel and several of our Texas TG members met at Bob Sarrels Shop and visited for a while in one Texas's few ice storms. Between the shooting and BS'ing we had a large time. Thanks Daniel  :)

When I made it home through ice, sleet, and snow I put the hatchet on my handmade quiver. It not only looks great, it has proven to me quite useful on a few occasions already.

Offline THEFOREVERMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
I do not reccomend the Cold steel company hatchets. I'm not sure what the steal is. But it may shatter on impact.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
Here's a better look at the Trappers Companion

http://shrewbows.com/trapperscompanion/
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline KSPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
The Gransfors Brux Outdoors axe looks very interesting.  It's either that or a Small Forest axe for my first one. Many of these axes posted are amazing functional artworks.  Must learn more about them...

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »
I've got a couple of Gransfors axes and they are quality all the way through.  Even the handle wedges are nice!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©