3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting recurve without arrow rest  (Read 462 times)

Offline Kaluza

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting recurve without arrow rest
« on: November 07, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm new to traditional archery and recently ordered a Samick Sage recurve. It is going to be delivered tomorrow. However, when I ordered it I forgot to purchase an arrow rest and plate. I ordered them later and they will not be here until Monday.

My question is, can I shoot my bow without the arrow rest and plate? It's going to be torture to have to wait until Monday to shoot if I have to just let my bow sit there unused all weekend.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting recurve without arrow rest
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Go get some velcro and use the soft side.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
X2-  Many people use velcro as replacements.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Kaluza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
What about for the plate? How necessary is that?

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
Velcro rest is all I use
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
every Sage I've bought includes the rest and side plate....I've bought (and sold) ten of them so far...

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
Use velcro for the rest and the plate. No worries.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kaluza:

What about for the plate? How necessary is that? [/b]
Masking tape. You can keep piling it up until you get the proper windage for your arrow spine. I do that will all new bows. That way you will know the proper thickness to use for your permanent side plate.

Or what I usually do is lay down a layer of masking tape then start using duct tape as it is thicker.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
You can shoot right off the wooden shelf if you wish... However, there are a few minor issues with that. 1) you might bugger the finish. Todays finishes are very tough, but is IS a slight posibility. 2) When you install a rest & side plate, it will be about an 1/8" higher than your shelf. If you put a nocking point on the string, you will have to raise it about an 1/8" as well. 3) without a rest of some sort,you have no cushion for your arrow. It could cause some squirrely arrow flight... At the least, it will be noisier.

All that being said, I shot old recurves as a kid many times(and quite a few after I "grew up") right off the wooden shelf, and NEVER damaged a single bow!!! However, a quick trip to about any local store, and you can pick up some peel&stick Velcro. Use the fuzzy side, and put a piece on your shelf, and another piece for a side plate. You'll be temporarily in business, and you probly won't even have to move your nock point at all.

Good Luck!!!! and Welcome to the Gang!!!!   :campfire:    :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Kaluza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by pumatrax:
every Sage I've bought includes the rest and side plate....I've bought (and sold) ten of them so far...
I wasn't aware of this. That would certainly solve all of my problems.

Offline Kaluza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »

Originally posted by Kaluza:

What about for the plate? How necessary is that? [/b]
Masking tape. You can keep piling it up until you get the proper windage for your arrow spine. I do that will all new bows. That way you will know the proper thickness to use for your permanent side plate.

Or what I usually do is lay down a layer of masking tape then start using duct tape as it is thicker. [/b]
Which leads me to my next problem - I have no idea what arrow spine to use. I've also never heard the term "windage". I'm going to a archery shop today and was hoping they could help me, but they specialize in compounds.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »
You probably won't get much help at the compound pro shop.  At least that's been my observation.  :(    By "windage" he meant adjusting the centershot location of your arrow on the rest.  IOW the building up of the strike plate to tune the arrow.  If your bow is center shot then you will have a broader range of adjustment in getting your arrows to fly.  

If you have arrows already, you might just play with them and the center shot adjustment.  Since you are new to trad, it would be a great learning experience.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline Kaluza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
Thank you all for the responses.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »
No problem more idea's for side plate and rest. Use commercial velcro soft side put piece of a match under it to make a bump if needed to build it out if it's flat sided. Same on the rest make the bump at same spot as the deepest part of the grip.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
Piece of Velcro for your rest small piece of leather for your side plate. If they don't send you those things you can order them or make them yourself if you're handy with a pair of scissors. Shipping charges start to add up if you're ordering six dollar arrow rest and paying six dollars shipping. The computer spine calculators will get you close but I would leave the arrows a touch longer than what they say for a while. As you become a better shot ,what you thought was a good tune may turn out to be not as good as you thought. Especially as you move further and further away from your target. As a side note my side plate was cut from a leather purse I found at the thrift store for three dollars.,and my rest is from a pair of boots if found on the ground.lol.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©