3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I allowed my 1st two days of deer camp to be soured.  (Read 742 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I allowed my 1st two days of deer camp to be soured.
« on: November 07, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
Confession time!!

Why?  I did about $2,100 damage to my car within the 1st 15 minutes of pulling into deer camp this weekend.

I think allowing that to affect me the way it did was just sinful on my part and it may have even taken away some part of the joy I felt when I was playing cat and mouse with an 8 pointer the next morning.

How it happened.........................

I pulled in, got out and said my hello's to Butch and Kenny then after some good hearted fellowship I made the remark that I could demonstrate that I was smarter then anyone who would park their vehicle so far from the cabin and pack their stuff into the cabin, at which time I jumped in my HHR and started backing it around to the back door would be right in front of the cabin.

I didn't see a stump that must have grown up after I parked...lol It was on the right side but cut off high but not high enough it could be seen by the driver(me).

My 1st thought was.. "What the heck was that sound?"... I got out and was sickened by what I saw.

Not only did I get the door but the front fender as well.

I could give consideration of living with the damage until things were better off for me financially but I can't seem to deal with the wind sounds I can't get out of the door when driving it down to road.

I had to ask God to forgive me for allowing something this minor in life throw me into a not so good mood for two whole days.

A vehicle is after all just a "thing", it's not like it's losing a friend or getting a disease.

I still need to further apologize more profusely to "Cobweb" and "The Yard Gnome" even though both of them would have me believe that I don't need to but I was just a "grumpy old man" and needed to deal with that fact.

Sorry for rambling on.

God bless,Mudd

PS: I think I was still under this funk/conviction when I missed a doe on day two.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I allowed my 1st two days of deer camp to be soured.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
Mudd...I had a similar situation happen a few years ago. All I can say is things happen and we are just human   :smileystooges:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 10:44:00 AM »
Mudd,

The richness and fullness of His Amazing Grace is all sufficient for we humans who require it, that would be ALL of us!  Enjoy your hunt.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
Roy,
You know my feelings on it. Your my friend. Friendship means more to me than a little thing like that. God bless you brother.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
At least it wasn't your bow you ran over!  :D

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Boomerang:
At least it wasn't your bow you ran over!    :D  
X2

Material things Mudd. There never is a good time for absence of thought, but it happens. Man I've been there, so often I've lost count. Maybe I should start taking  notes?    :knothead:
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
I once cut down a tree in deer camp and took a little more out than I should have on the first cut.  The tree wound up on the hood of my truck.  I feel your pain!

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
I backed into a pine tree with the tailgate down trying to get unlost on our new lease! Then I parked walked in to my stand and managed to miss a deer the same morning! Needless to say a had to repent of a ton of foul language and such.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
Mudd, you seem like such a lighthearted positive fellow I'm having a hard time imagining you being in a funk.

At any rate my wife told me she preferred her way of stopping to pick up the mail over mine and the next week she backed into a large tree and smashed the bumper and tail light of a '99 Explorer that survived 13 years without a scratch until she got the mail her way.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Mudd, there ain't a person on here that hasn't done something like that.  Material things and that is what insurance is for.

Heck, you probably would have missed the deer anyway LOL

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
It's natural and healthy to react emotionally to life's ups and downs.  You wouldn't want to be a robot.  We can't choose the times when these things happen to us.  Of course, we have an obligation not to overreact in front of our friends and family and ruin an occasion for them, but if they are truly our friends and family, they will understand that we will be sad when bad things happen to us, angry when unfair things happen to us, and happy when good things happen to us.  The only time to worry is if we can't let go of these things after a reasonable amount of time has passed, but it helps a person to let go of things later if you allow yourself a reasonable expression of your emotions at the time things happen.

I know how you feel, though.  Logically, what was done to your car was already done.  Why make it worse by not being in a good mood during what could have been a happy time?  Same kind of thing happened to me during a tournament last weekend.  I received what could be some bad news just before the tournament, which caused me to shoot bad and act sad, I guess, because one of my friends commented later on that I didn't seem to be myself.  I would have rather have just put it out of my mind and joked with my friends during the shoot like I usually do, but if I start kicking myself now over that, I'm just perpetuating a bad mood over something that is now one step removed from the actual thing that caused the problem in the first place.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
I feel your pain Brother. Got a new truck last year on Thursday and my Wife hit a deer on Friday with it. Life goes on.RC

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
I hit a deer with my jeep this season, wasn't happy but can't let it get to you. Just a piece of metal that can be fixed or replaced.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
A couple weeks ago a guy scraped his canoe down the side of my truck turning around in a hunting spot. After talking with him we ended up hunting together the next weekend.

Seems the older I get the less I care about material things. Don't sweat the small stuff.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
Get over it Dummy! I meant that with all the respect in the world, someone always says that to me when Im in a funk. It seems to help.
  Better luck on the next deer.

I am happy no one was hurt!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
This is a prime example why I drive a 2000 dollar pickup!! I have had numerous new trucks but rather drive a older truck that I don't have to worry about so much. Try not let the material things out of life dictate your happiness Mudd!!   :archer:

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
I'm glad that you put things back into perspective.
I'm even happier that it only took two days. Some people get into a funk for much longer over something much smaller, myself included at times.
Like you said, it's just a vehicle........Move on and smile, it could have been worse!
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
Now it's officially a hunting rig!

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
Mudd, I know a story about a guy from IN on his first deer hunt this past Sept. He was in a hurry to get his truck backed up next to the tent and backed over his Black Widow PLII and a quiver full of arrows! Broke all the arrows and put a pretty good dent in the bow where the quiver arm dug into it!! He just grabbed his back up bow and went on about his business. Funny that it didn't bother me....er I mean him that much?! God Bless you brother! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
I think it's Bill Carlsen on here who has this saying in his signature line... "the best things in life aren't things."

If you ever need someone to teach you some new words give me a call. I know a bunch and none are over 4 letters.
    ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©