3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A 101 Year Old Man  (Read 2526 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A 101 Year Old Man
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
i wish you could get a trail cam pic of this antique.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
Congrats Barry, I am looking forward to the Story.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline DeerBacon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
AWESOME!!!
" I got a new bow for my wife, It was the best trade I ever made! "

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
I took the day off to try to catch up on things. I dropped my buck off at the meat locker so I'd get their expert opinion on the meat being good with the tumors and all. He field dressed 212 lbs. They didn't call today so hopefully the meat will be fine. As I said, last November he came by me from the same stand at 12 yds. The tumor was about the size of an elongated watermelon. I figured he'd taste bad so I let him walk. All on film too. I think his rack was a little bigger last year. Not sure if it degenerated because of his health issues or what. The tumor is now only about the size of a softball but there's a 4" by 2" scab where the giant tumor was last year. I'm not sure if it burst, he cut it and it drained or what. Anyway, because the tumor was not malignant I nicknamed the buck Benign... even though he be eight (I knew you'd like that one). Yesterday morning he came by all alone cruising for chicks. Rather than on the run at 12 yds. where he was supposed to be he was back in the brush at about 20 yds. At one point he started to angle away. I thought about wheezing but I don't like to wheeze when they're that close. So my intent was to let him get out to about 50 yds. and wheeze him back in if needed. But I wanted the situation to play out on it's own so he'd not come looking for me. A lot of guys wouldn't believe the treestand. It's in a double tree but the west half of the two was apparently struck by lightning and is broken off/hanging down. So I purposely kept the ladder really low to blend in with the break and not be sky lined. I bet my feet aren't much more than ten feet up. I never get busted in the stand so it apparently works in theory. Be right back, I have to call my wife to let her know I didn't fall out of a tree today. bw

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
Love your storytelling Barry!  Congrats!

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
So he's angling away and I'm contemplating wheezing when all of a sudden he turns on his own and starts working towards me. There's a single cedar tree about 20 yds. from me. It's about the size of your thigh on the truck. I swung the camera arm around but when I went to zoom it in he kept looking my direction. It's kind of too bad but I kept the camera on wide angle to make sure I would get the shot. In order to zoom it in I'd have to switch my bow from my left hand to my right, play with the camera then switch the bow back. He was only a couple steps from my shooting lane so if he stopped rubbing and started walking thru my shooting lane while I was messing with the camera I'd lose the opportunity and it wasn't worth it to me to risk that. The sad part is he rubbed that tree for seven straight minutes. Every time I'd think about trying to zoom in he'd look my direction and I'd chicken out. By the way, afterwards I went over and filmed the rub. It's one of those that when you see in the woods you'll walk out of your way to look at it. One that you'd say to yourself "I'd like to see the buck that made that one". So after seven minutes of rubbing he took one step backwards and started pawing the ground. Then he brought his tarsals together and peed on them. I held tight knowing what was about to happen. He started walking left to right at 19 yds. As soon as he entered my shooting lane I plugged him. For those interested, I was shooting my 58" Tall Tines that is 61 lbs. at 28", skinny carbon shafts tipped with a 125 gn. steel adapter and a 125 gn. WW. for a total arrow weight of about 630 gns. The shaft hit him a few inches to the right but blasted right through the shoulder and stopped against the far shoulder blade. I could instantly see I broke the shoulder and I got probably two thirds of the arrow in the goodies. I knew he was a goner. As he ran off I saw him break the shaft off at about 50 yds. The fact he rubbed the tree for seven minutes and he was close for ten or twelve minutes while I stood on red alert was pretty intense. I sat down and took it all in. Be right back. bw

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
Excellent!

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
Finally I climbed down and walked over to check/ film the rub. Then, I quietly worked my way over to where I saw him break the arrow to get a better read on penetration and blood loss. I'd either proceed or wait depending on what I found. There was plenty of blood and I could see he was falling and spraying. I checked my watch and it'd been 20 minutes ( I shot at 7:56 AM)so I slowly slipped forward. Actually he made it farther than I thought and I found him a little over a hundred yards. The bad news is he died right in the bottom of the dry seepage below the header I was watching. I filmed myself on the initial approach. You know how I keep saying weird stuff always happens to me? Well as I approach him I'm filming myself and I look in the dirt about two feet in front of his nose and I could see something. I said to the camera "what do we have here?" I picked it up and discovered it was one of those aluminum foil helium balloons and it said "Happy Birthday" on it. I'll tell you right now... if it would have said "Get Well Soon" I would have freaked out! Anyway, he's a beautiful buck. I have his one shed from two years ago and his G2 measured 13 5/8" in 2011. Last year I think his G2s were maybe 14". This year they shrunk back some to "only" 13 inches. I'm not sure if it was his age, his health issues or whatever. I don't really care. Then all of a sudden it struck me.. he broke off his left brow tine. I wasn't sure if it was in his death run or in the last day or two but it was a fresh break. I back tracked him and checked at the base of the rub tree and never found anything. Not that I care. For those interested, his main beams are just under 26"; his G2s 13" and almost 13; his G3s 9 3/8". As is with the broken tine he still measured 157 5/8". If I matched the broken tine with the opposing tine (7 2/8") he would have totaled 163 2/8" as a 4x4, which is a really good 4x4. I absolutely would have not been able to get him out without cutting him in half and I really didn't want to do that. I walked to where I could get a single bar on my cell phone and called Gene. He was in a tree 100 miles away and I hated to have him have to come help me. I actually told him that I'd handle it myself. Then my phone buzzed five minutes later. He was on the way. As it ended up we literally had to cut our way in to get the four wheeler close enough. Let me tell you, I... WE are getting too old for this stuff. As I said, I shot him at 7:56 AM and I finally got him out at 5PM. Oh.. one other freaky note.. get this, my friend Daryl Kempher from Michigan called this afternoon. He shot a doe this morning at 12 yds. She only made it 50 yds. As he walked up to the doe, there laying on the ground next to her (he swears to God!!) is another one of those helium balloons... only this one is a big yellow smiley face. Think of the chances of that. Anyway, I'm not smart enough to post photos so I'll try to get Steve-O to post some for you guys. Meanwhile, I'll be back out there in the morning. Best of luck to all. BW

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
Congrats! Sounds like a Dandy! Can't wait to see the pics.
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
Here you go UB.  Great buck "old man"    :)

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
Beautiful!!Congratulations!!  Great story.  You're getting skinny on us!!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
Beautiful buck Uncle B!  Thanks for sharing all the details.  Sounds intense for sure!  Congrats!!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
Thanks Steve-O. And before anyone gives me any grief... I was already whipped and smiling on the inside! Ha. bw

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
Great buck!

Never a dull moment when you share your hunts!

My son keeps asking if I have heard if you got a buck yet...NOW I can show him.

I would say "take it easy" but we all know you won`t...but be careful would ya...and your brother too...you guys mean alot to "us".

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
Congrats Barry on a great buck and story.

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
Great shooting and thanks for the story telling!

Offline Stone Sheep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2013, 08:44:00 AM »
Congrats Barry!! You need to hire a deer Sherpa.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Board of Directors (past)
United Bowunters of Missouri Board of Directors

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
I've been marking all my new spots with foil balloons…sorry guys! Nice buck and story BTW…congrats!

Offline Bowmag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
You tell a story like no one else can. Thanks and congratulations.
Colburn

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
Congratulations again Uncle Barry!
That is a beautiful old buck.
I would have expected nothing less from you!
I love your storytelling and sense of humor
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©