3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new snuffer?  (Read 389 times)

Offline moredneck

• Trad Bowhunter
new snuffer?
« on: November 08, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »
I just received my first broadheads that you can resharpen. They are the classic snuffers in 125gr. My questions are this do they come spin tested? And are they suppose to be sharp out of the package?

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: new snuffer?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 12:52:00 AM »
I do not think they are spin tested, they are not sharp enough to hunt with, and usually need reglued to the adaptor.

But they are a great head once all that is taken care of..

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline moredneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 12:59:00 AM »
Ok thanks how do I fix the wobble when spin testing? Also I have a coarse/med oilstone can I sharpen them on it?

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
The body of the head should be square to the adaptor once they are glued properly. Heat the head slowly using pliers until it separates. clean the head and adaptor really well with sandpaper then clean both glue surfaces with acetone or fingernail polish remover. I like to reglue with gorilla glue. Just push the head firm against the adaptor and they should line themselves out.

You sharpener should work unless it is rounded or concaved from extensive use. Might be better off with a file.

Good luck,

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 07:22:00 AM »
Todd gives good advice. If you have very much material to remove to get a good edge angle a very large file is the way to go.
Then once you get them really sharp on the file go to your coarse/med oil stone.

Another approach to aligning the head and adaptor is to warm the adaptor until it loosens in the ferrule. Then clamp the head in a vice and lightly tap the end of the adaptor with a hammer. You can also put the whole works on the arrow and drop the arrow point first onto something solid like concrete. Do this until the arrow wants to bounce a little.

The tip can be worked back when sharpening and doing this usually results in a true spinning head.

When working with metal components you'll find that the ferrule and adaptor are very accurately made. The problem is usually that the glue used is not spread evenly around the ferrule.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
Thank you Charlie. I have been dropping arrows into my cement floor or the anvil portion of my vice for 20yrs. Lines em up every time.(makes your buddies look at you funny tho)
The Snuffer is a great head. killed my first deer with one.
Most any head will require attention before it is ready to hunt.
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Tony Z

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
I've never had to heat and spin a Snuffer out of the package. Any wobble I've seen is from the insert /shaft alignment. That was solved by turning the insert until it tested perfect on the spinner. I use a mill bastard file and a jewel stick to get them shaving sharp. Great broadhead.TonyZ

Offline moredneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
thanks everyone one more question? Could I warm the head and twist the adapter to evenly spread the glue?

Offline moredneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
plus I have a large file but I believe it ruined cause it doesn't have a lot of grip!

Offline Tony Z

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
I would mount and spin them before I'd put heat on the broadhead it's self. Some manufacturers use epoxy instead of hot melt so I'd make sure first. Sounds like you need a new file.TonyZ

Offline moredneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
Ok I can get the adapter and ferrule apart but I'm having a hard time aligning the two. I don't know it i'm overthinking this or what but I'm using my handheld drill to check for alignment because thats what I've always used. I've tried dropping them on concrete and on the anvil part of my vise but no luck. I habe also twisted them on the adapter and then checked alignment still not getting any better.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
only used glue-ons...so cant help but they are not hunting sharp out of package unless new owner has changed things up.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by moredneck:
 And are they suppose to be sharp out of the package?
I personally have never seen a head that I felt was sharp enough to hunt with out of the package.

Snuffers are great heads, good luck this fall!

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
I keep the adapter and head warm/hot so the glue won't set too fast (hot melt).  My 'spinner' is a piece of 1x2 with 4 finishing nails driven in to form "X"s front and back for the arrow to lay on so I can spin it.

I set a coffee can near the tip so the point is on one letter of the writing on the can and then turn the arrow to see if the tip wobbles.  If it does, I give the head a little twist and try again (if the glue sets up, just warm it up with a torch and try again).

If you've been dropping the tip on the floor etc... it may look like the tip's wobbling, when it's really just bent.

Offline moredneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the help I got the wobble fixed. now I just have to sharpen them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©