3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: takedown longbow?  (Read 1180 times)

Offline BooneDog

• Trad Bowhunter
takedown longbow?
« on: September 10, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
I am returning to traditional archery after a long break away(10 plus years).  I currently have two Dan Quillian longbows that I am selling on **** as they simply are more bow than I can handle now.  (both 60 plus lbs).
I want to replace them with a nice takedown longbow.  I have been away for so long that at this point, I have no idea what is good and what is not.  I would love to get some recomendations for good shooting takedown longbows.  

thanks for your ideas.

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: takedown longbow?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
you lookin for a 2 piece takedown or a three piece I like the northrn mist longbows  here is a pic

I like this version because you do not have to take off any bolts or allen screws everytime you want to store it you just destring it and it breaks in half

great northern is another two piece that comes to mind

bob lee makes a very nice three piece takedown longbow and many others to think of good luck and buy a few if you can and shoot as many as you can before you buy if you can

jmo  (just my opinion)
St. Joe River Bows

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
If I were you I would trade what I have towards a new(used) bow in  the classifieds on here....might make out better that way.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
That could be a long, long list--lots of great bows on the market.  Are you looking for a 2 piece or 3 piece?  Most of the 3-piece bows feel more like a recurve to me (many even offer recurve limbs for the same riser)--one of the things I like about longbows is the lighter mass weight.

The down side of a 2 piece is you can't put different limbs on the same riser, or replace blown limbs if you have an accident.  Lots of different td systems to consider.

My favorite is the Chek-Mate Crusader (2 piece), because it looks/feels/shoots very much like my favorite bow (a 1 piece CM Crusader).

There's so many different ones to choose from--from "traditional" styles to the most radical deflex/reflex, and pretty much everything in-between.

If you liked the Quillian bows, you might prefer a 2-piece model in a mild to moderate deflex/reflex.  Lots of those to choose from also.

Chad

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
Crow Creek Blackfeather

Morrison Shawnee

Hornes Combo Hunter

and the list goes on and on... LOL  Good Luck
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
Well, it's hard to go wrong with a Horne.  I have a 2-pc Brushbow that I love.  His 3-pc longbows are great shooters as well, and there are a few in the classifieds right now (including the one I'm selling  ;) )

There are actually quite a few t/d in the classifieds right now.  It's a good time to be in the market for one and there are some good deals, especially for some recurves...
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
Agree with Jeremy

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
I like the looks of the locket socket takedown that black widow offers.  I'm sure other bowyers offer that system, just not that I'm aware of.

Offline BooneDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
I wouldn't rule out either two or 3 piece, as long as it's a quality build.  I want the breakdown just for the ability to travel easily, If the bow shoots good for me, I would not care it it's 2 or 3 piece.   I really like the Red Elm Longhunter that I have, (but it's too much bow) and liked a previous Byron Ferguson bow ok.

What I am liking the looks of right now are the 3 piece like the Great Plains, or Brackenbury.  Not the recurve style grip, more of a traditional longbow grip.  

Don't tell me the list goes on and on!  That doesn't help!  Actually, it does help, just the suggestions I've gotten give me a good place to start,and it sounds like there is a lot of quality out there.

Any bowyers or brands I should avoid altogether?

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »
Brackenbury Nontypical and Horne are both excellent bows.  You might want to take a look.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
You asked for recommendations but there is NO perfect bow for everyone. You need to shoot as many of some of these mentioned as you can and make your own decision. What works for one shooter doesnt for another. It is that simple. Try to go to a Trad shoot and shoot other folks bows. I have never had one person turn me down when I asked to try out their bow.   :readit:      :thumbsup:

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline DWRay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
I am very, very happy with my Great Plains take down longbow.  The extra set of limbs makes it a plus and the bow itself is a real shooter.
Walk softly and carry a big stick bow

Offline BooneDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
Thanks guys I appreciate all the ideas so quickly, BigRonHuntAlot, I know you are right and I wasn't meaning to ask "what's the best bow for me", so much as just wanting some ideas of some quality takedown longbows.  I don't want to buy something that's got a poor takedown system or is just poor quality.  These days, anyone can throw up a website with some pretty pictures, and I've not followed the archery business for the last few years to know what's good or what's not.  But I know the folks on here use their equipment, and know what is good stuff.

Thanks again.

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 06:38:00 AM »
I really like my Pronghorn 3-Piece.  It always comes down to what feels best, this one points very well and the cast has shocked me.

Dave

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
I have shot many and my favorite is the Pronghorn 3-piece TD.  I had Herb make more of a recurve grip instead of a locator grip and I love it.  Ken

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »
I would recommend the Acadian Woods Tree Stick longbow. I've never shot the three piece, but if it's as good as the one piece....I'd get that one....if you can find one.   :D  

Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©