3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Little binocculars  (Read 591 times)

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Little binocculars
« on: November 09, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »
I used to have a huge, old set of East German Zeiss 8x50s that really turned night into day. The optics were the best I ever looked through except for a 10x42 Swarowski. They were just too big to carry and the adjustments had a bit of slop in them, so I sold them. I now have a nice 8.5x45 set of Nikon Monarch X's that are great for stand use, but again, just a little big and heavy for wandering around and more power than I need for bow hunting. My 10x28 Leupolds are nice to carry in the car for casual use when I see something a bit too far out to see well with the naked eye, but absolutely useless at first dawn or in the last 1/2 hour of hunting light.

I've been looking seriously at a Vortex Viper 6x32 that seems like it might be perfect for a bow hunter. Anyone have any experience with the little guys?
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Little binocculars
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
I don't have the binos but I do have a Vortex Solo monocular and a Vortex spotting scope and they both  have very good optics. I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy a pair of there binos.

Steve

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
I've got a pair of Vortex Viper 8x28 that I got for lugging around the mountains during elk season - light weight and good magnification.  The down side is that at the first and last half an hour of the day you can't get much light in.  

If you divide the objective by the magnification the result gives a good idea of the light 'gathering' performance.  For example, my 7x42 Swarovski (great at low light) = 6 while my new 8x28 = 3.5 (good glass but not in low light).  The binos you are looking at, 6x32 = 5.3 which tells me that your low light performance is pretty good.  You can translate this yourself with the binos you already have.  

As far as the Vipers as a bino - I think they are a great glass and compare favorably with my Swarovski.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline thumper-tx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
I have used for many years some Bushnell Custom Compacts. They are 7x26 I believe and are tack sharp. Very popular with birdwatchers who, by the way, are very particular about their glass. They sell for under $300 and are small and light.  I have tried many others but keep going back to these.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
The 6.5x vortex are well thought of glass though a.bit.bulky.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
I did a compromise.....8x30 Stieners.....not to big, not to small. They gather light well and are clear as a Bell. I'm very pleased with them.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
I bought a the Cabela's Alaskan Guide compact in the 12x30 and really like them.  Light weight small and sharp and not bulky around the neck.  Also fit in a pocket real easy.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
I use 6x30 binocs for bow hunting. I find that size to be the perfect compromise of magnification, weight and brightness. With a padded camera-type neck strap they are very comfortable to wear and use all day long.
I think there is a place for small binocs in bow hunting and I recommend the 6x30 size.
The Yosemite model is what I use. Good binocs at a very affordable price.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
I keep my small 10X25 Swarovski compacts in my fanny pack all the time.  My 8X32 Swarovski are bigger but great in low light.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Rudy Cariello

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
I have both the Bushnell Custom Compact 7x26 and the Vortex Viper 6x32.

I've used the Custom Compacts since the early 80's.
Sharp and clear, much better than you'd think from a small pair of binos. They are very easy to use and carry. A real plus, cause you always have them with you. You will however, give up the first and last half hour of light as they just don't transmit the light as a larger pair will.

Started using the Vortex Vipers last year and am very impressed with them. Very sharp and clear and great low light binos. They are larger than the Custom Compacts and I use them with a bino harness. The Custom Compacts always ride in a coat pocket when I use them.

I have to say that my old stand-by Custom Compacts don't get used so much now that I have the Vortex. They are bigger, however, the great low light performance gives them the edge in my opinion.

These are the binos I use for Whitetail and turkey hunting. When I hunt out west, I use a pair of 8x30 Swaros or 10x40 Swaros and am very happy with them as well.

Kind of a bino junkie lately and liking it.
It's a good day for something.

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
I have the 6x32 Vortex glasses and I don't think you can beat them for what they cost.
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
I have a little pair of 10x25 Zeiss when I use them.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
I have the HD version of the 6X vipers. I love em. Just right for bow hunting as far as I'm concerned. Great in low light too. I also have Nikons and they are good, but I prefer the Vipers.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
Find yourself a set of Leupold Yosemites.  Great binocs and not too heavy.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
They aren't alpha level glass, but you might also be interested in the 6x or 8x Leupold Yosemite binoculars. Their performance really exceeds their price range and they aren't heavy at all.

I've been looking for some Leupold 7/12 switch power binoculars lately thinking they would make for a nice compromise between size, weight, and power. The 7x32 power should be perfect for bowhunting but then to be able to switch up to 12x on occasions for those things that a little more detail is wanted would be nice.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
I use the 6x32 Vipers and I think they are the best glass for bowhunting on the market.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
I have a pair of Leopold Katmai in 6x32 and to me that's the ideal power and size combo for bowhunting. The size of the lens is more important than power for hunting. 5 times power is a good rule, so 6x30, 7x35, 8x40 etc. that's why sizes like 10x25 are too slow to get on target and are just too awkward for hunting. IMO

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
Anyone tried the Bushnell Trophy XLT 8x32's?

They can be had for $99 and seem to have good reviews considering the price point. Look small enough to carry in a cargo pocket.

Offline arrow bender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »
6X30.  accectably light, exceptionally bright, priced right.Luepold Yosemite

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
Have to agree with arrow bender.  After my Steiner 6x30's ran away from home I replaced them with a pait of Yosemite.  Also, has 8x42 Nikon Monarchs for scouting and shed hunting.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member