3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Clear glass limbs - "air spots?"  (Read 241 times)

Online Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
Clear glass limbs - "air spots?"
« on: November 09, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Hey all,
I know clear glass shows detail (& flaws) in a bow limb... I have a McCullough Griffin that I've owned since new. Bow is approx 10 years old and in immaculate condition other than its developed several small elongated cloudy spots, on each limb, between the glass and limb veneer. I am wondering (& worrying) that while small these may indicate the start of a delamination problem. I take the best care of my bows - never expose them to excessive heat, leave 'em strung, etc. I've called John to discuss but haven't heard back from him yet. Just wondering if I am ok to continue using this bow or if it could fail?
Anyone else experience this issue? Thoughts / feedback appreciated!
Rando

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Clear glass limbs - "air spots?"
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
Best answer would be, wait for an answer from the bowyer.

If it were my bow I would mark the spots, If they got bigger I would stop using it.

That's just my opinion.
Dustin
_ _ _________________________________ _  _

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
I got about a dozen on one bow.  Something with the knots in the veneers by the look of it. I have probably shot 5000 arrows from it since they showed up. I wouldn't worry too muck unless the are growing a lot. If it was colored glass you would never know you had them and you would be happy shooting that bow with out a care.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »
Post up some pics if you want more input.  There is bound to be more than one bowyer that will comment. It's a fairly common thing from what I have read.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©