3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pass around Tuktu Ex TD  (Read 4115 times)

Offline SteveL

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pass around Tuktu Ex TD
« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
As usual I'm late to the party, but I would love to give her a try.

Steve

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
how far out is the wait time on this bow? I would be interested if it is not to far out!
 Thanks, Jamie
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
Steve,Robhood
This closed down last year in November. Now I may open it up again after we are done with this run. Which could at the end of June or July. They have been a number of inquires after the close down date.
Keep watching at the end for an up date.
Abe

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2014, 01:33:00 AM »
This bow still holds a special place in my heart! It's been 6 months since my short time with her, and I can still feel that great beavertail grip and smooth draw in my hands. Lol. This bow has certainly left a lasting impression. Hopefully, I'll soon be able to add my own Tuktu to my collection. Thanks again Abe, for the opportunity, and for creating such a great bow!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
Awesome bows.....Abe, your latest stock listing of the 58" ebony riser is killing me!!!

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
Joe
There you go and no waiting time how great is that.
LOL
Abe

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
Hey guys, I'm a bit late posting this but I shipped the bow out to Ben Carlsen today. Ben, Abe has the tracking numbers but you can email me or pm me and I'll get it to you.

First of all, the finish. I'd say its a sure 9/10 even despite its status as a pass around. Wenge is very hard to fill the grain but Abe did a great job with it in the flare. The overlays and tips were as perfect as any artist or sculptor could muster.

Th grip. To be honest it was a little fat for my taste as I tuck my ring and pinky fingers under for comfort and to resist grabbing the bow. I'm sure that could be tailored a bit more for a custom as the take down system is very robust and solid. I did like the beaver tail and it really added some uniqueness to the look of the bow.

The shot. The bow is very dead in hand and very quiet. No hand shock at all despite the very low mass weight of the bow. I shoot a lot of heavy wood 3 PC take downs and it was kinda awkward at first as my bow arm was all over the place. But a few shots and I settled in. Overall this would make a mean all around huntin bow. Light, short, quiet as a mouse fart, and nice to look at.

On a side note, I play at being a bowyer and after my more crude attempts, it makes me appreciate his artist hand. and seeing the way Abe did the lam grind to give the affect of a tip wedge and power lam was very cool and I bet it makes for a much easier glue up.  

Thanks for the experience Abe.

Dave

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
Yes the Tuk' is a fine fine bow for sure.  Only reason I just offered up my new 1pc for sale is I have had some 'life' stuff happen recently and also have another build that's concluding and I need to stay solvent.  I don't want the Tuk to go, but if someone is up to it I will let it.  It's such a brutally powerful bow, all the while being smooth and quiet.  It actually has the same amount of reflex in the limbs as my Saluki Ibex which says something.  I can feel the distant 'horse bow' lineage in it.  At 55" strung I bet it would do just fine with mounted archery.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2014, 06:39:00 AM »
As a direct result of Abe's decision to send out his Tuktu Ex, I ended up placing an order for one. I had been looking at them when he began the pass-around, and I happened to be the first guy to receive it. Now I'm happy to say there's a custom Tuktu Ex headed for a certain UPS drop, and then south from there.

Thank you Abe!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
Before I offer my thoughts on my week with the Tuktu I want to remind everyone that I have almost always shot a metal riser recurve along with an elevated rest and plunger. For the past 10 years or so I have been shooting a DAS riser with various high tech recurve limbs. So I was curious to see how this bow stacked up to them and to my now deceased buddy, Stan Levy, who had an original Tuktu that I really liked.

The bow is beautiful and a hunter's dream. Craftsmanship was superb, woods were beautiful, it's finish was so flat that it seemed that it had only been sanded, and it shot quietly. The real issue was…"How does it shoot"?

I set the string at a 7.25" brace height which Abe recommended. At a higher brace height it just did not perform well for me at all and I was initially not impressed. Once I got the brace right the bow was surprisingly very accurate. It only took me a couple of shots to feel comfortable with it. Partly, I think, due to the offset grip on the riser which made "pointing" it very easy and natural. I have osteo arthritis in the base of my left thumb and had to modify the grips on my ILF bows to shoot comfortably and with the doc's approval and the grip on the Tuktu was not a problem for me at all. It had a different but very comfortable feel to it.

My ILF bows have lots of preload in the limbs. I did not put the Tuktu on a scale to check that but subjectively it seemed more like an "ordinary" recurve on the draw. It was smooth to pull, no finger pinch and upon release several things happened. One was that there was no handshock. Second, there was very little sound…very quiet. Third, it was fast. I shot one of my Axis 400's with a 200 grain point (29" bop) and held and shot it with the same sight picture I use with my ILF bows. Fourth, and most importantly, it was accurate. Hit the spot or very close to it every time! That really impressed me. Everyone wants to get the arrow where they want it and I had no trouble doing that with this bow. In particular, it was always on line. Right and left arrow flight was not an issue at all.

The bow, for me, was very reminiscent of a 50's style recurve but it's shooting qualities where more like the high tech limbs I have been shooting for some time, now. It is sort of like a super up Kodiak or Red Wing Hunter.

We have 5 acres at the house so I was able to wander the orchard and woods shooting at anything I wanted to. Hardly ever missed and if I did it was high or low….never right or left. I doubt that I will be giving up my DAS risers and ILF limbs any time soon but if I had to pick one bow to replace them I would have to say the Tuktu would be at the top of the list. I loved the offset grip….didn't bother my thumb at all and it made it easy to point, as I have already said. It is one of the easiest bows to shoot accurately "out of the box" that I have had in my hands. Reminded me a lot of my old Groves bows but without the stack at 28". The feel of the bow is different than the ILFs I have been shooting but the feeling of having that arrow go where you want was the same. And that is the most important thing. The bow gave me confidence that I did not expect. Abe has done a great job on this design and his workmanship speaks for itself. Anyone investing in one of these bows will not be disappointed at all.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2014, 02:45:00 AM »
I am really lucky to have received one.

La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
My wife accused Abe of being a marketing genius.  I shot the tuktu pass around and shortly after sending it off to the next guy, I phoned Abe about a 2 piece featherhorn.  

The tuktu is an amazing bow, so much fun to shoot, but hazardous to your wallet  ;)
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: May 26, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
Bill
Real sorry about Stan Levy. It's been a long time since I meant Stan and I had no idea he is gone.
Sorry for your loss.
Abe

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
Abe: He was fighting cancer for a number of years. Finally lost the battle last winter (2013). I didn't even know about it until last July. He really loved your bows. I believe his grandson has the Tuktu he owned. Don't know what Malissa did with the Featherhorns.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: June 01, 2014, 01:07:00 PM »
Thanks so much Abe for letting me shoot your bow it was a pleasure .
 I don't know what to say that hasn't been said but if you are in the market for this style bow you should give this a look.
 I shot my normal arrows out of it and though under spined , my bow is ten pounds lighter, this thing spit them pretty good . I was able to hold consistant groups right away with this bow. My arrows weigh in at 740 and 840 for what I shoot and still seemed to be plenty fast , Over all the fit and finish was great and a very pleasant bow to shoot. Thanks again Abe . Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
Having just gotten into traditional archery I was able to shoot through 20+ different bows at RMSgear in Denver over the course of a couple weeks. After finding  Abe's bows online I realized rMS had a couple of them... Took one shot on a Featherhorn to slap a giant grin on my face and then plastered it there when I shot a peregrine. Sadly the peregrin was our of my weight range (64 @ 28 and I pull 31), went with the Featherhorn and love it... That being said I know for sure the tuktu is next on my list. Crossing my fingers that this pass around starts up again this summer  :)  I'd love to give it a whirl!
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
My time with the travel bow has passed, mailed her off to the next recipient today.

The bow shot very well with authority, I am a longbow guy and it would take while to get used to the high preload but she sure rockets an arrow as the payoff. Loved the looks and ease of assembly.

Thanks Abe.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: June 07, 2014, 05:46:00 AM »
I just noticed on the tracking it was coming from SC,, was hoping it killed a few hogs while there??      but looking forward to this bow, I'm a big fan of 50's styles and was excited when Abe announced this pass around.

tracking says its out for delivery today so when I get home from work I'll have at it..
"Us vs Them"

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2014, 07:04:00 AM »
Ted hope you enjoy your time with the bow, did not get out in the field, its a busy golf season here in Myrtle Beach, SC
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
I need everyone who recently had this bow to read this.    I received the bow and what a gorgeous bow, pulled smooth shot fast the t/d system is just awesome!       the string was acting funny actually it wasn't that funny so I called Abe and after giving a description of the string it had which was black/Yellow with black yarn type puffs we realized it was a different string????  

somebody must of swapped the string at some point so if any of you received this bow with a black/yellow string and black puffs with over sized loops then you need to know that was the wrong string for this bow, maybe something happened to the original who knows but I felt everyone who had the bow should know.

Abe is making another string and the pass around will continue.
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©