3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pass around Tuktu Ex TD  (Read 4122 times)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pass around Tuktu Ex TD
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
Sounds like a great opportunity.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2013, 06:39:00 AM »
Bow received yesterday evening. Still not out of the box yet, but hope to see it later today after I find some time.

Thanks Abe!

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
Report on Cari-Bow Tuktu Ex Pass-Around

I'll begin this by saying it's not intended to be a full-on evaluative and exhaustive bow report full of quantitative analysis and objective data. Just think of it as one guy's reaction to a bow...a very fine bow.

Abe Penner sent me this Tuktu Ex to shoot, evaluate and then pass on to the next guy. I received it a week ago, and I've shot it multiple times. The bow is a 60" static-tip recurve, 2-piece takedown and scales 54# at 28". I found the bow to be physically light in the hand, and having an excellent grip for me. Grabbing that beavertail wrap is a real pleasure, and the mild thumb-rest is very comfortable. With the brace at 7.25", the bow has a serious amount of tension in the limbs. The tips have a lot of recurvature to them, and more than any bow I've ever shot. When drawing the bow, I was immediately aware of the static-tip effect, and could feel the bow's power very early in the draw cycle. The initial effect made me think the bow would be hard-drawing at its rated weight/length, but I was totally wrong. The bow starts out strong early in the draw, but then levels out smoothly and gains weight evenly all the way to anchor. It pulls 54# at 28" and the last 4 inches are as smooth as it gets. I honestly got zero stacking feedback with this bow, even drawing it out to near 30 inches. Those limbs and static tips really work!

You've already guessed the bow to be fast, and it is. I doubt if I've ever shot another mid-50#s bow that can shoot with this bow for speed. The limbs recover with lightning speed and the arrow is away cleanly. I loved the speed and smoothness. This bow produces an effect that's hard to duplicate. Very traditional styling in that it appears to be a one-piece, but is a takedown. Leather grip styling and gorgeous custom hardwoods. Super-fast shooting and great balance. This is a heck of a fine bow. In its 2-piece category, I'd say it has little competition...it's that good.

I'd like to thank Abe for sending it around. I was lucky enough to be the first guy in line, and have really enjoyed trying this bow out. I will be sending it on now, and I hope whoever gets it next will enjoy it and follow that up with a personal report here on TradGang.  KD

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »
Well, I got home from work tonight, and there was a box waiting for me! I eagerly opened it to lay my eyes on a beautiful piece of functional art!
After carefully unwrapping everything, I put the bow together, and strung her up.
Although I haven't shot it much yet, I knew from the first shot that this one is special!
After I get a little more time with her, I'll give a more detailed review, but my first impression is... I'm impressed!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
OK this is killing me 8^( if possible is there anyway we can get an idea what month we will be getting the bow,, maybe a rough estimate based on where our names are on the list but we can figure it out here if theres a list to look at (4-people a month give or take)plus its a heads up on who we're sending too
"Us vs Them"

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
Ted
I have not made the list public. What I have been doing is asking the next person on the list if it suits them ahead of time. If so I give it to the person who is getting the bow the name and address to send to next. Here is what I can tell you, you are close to the end of the list. Which won't be till  late spring or summer. Sorry for the long wait, it's just the way it is.
Abe

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
I totally understand and thanks for posting that and slipping me that info,, I'm happy I'm getting it around spring or summer perfect weather to roadtest your bow.
"Us vs Them"

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
even though I am a lefty, I am very excited that my friend Dave is on the list for this. I will be putting on the arm guard and putting some quality shots through this bow right-handed!
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
You guys won't be disappointed. The day I shipped the bow I called Abe and placed an order for one. I regretted seeing that bow leave...very beautiful and aesthetically traditional. I might have one recommendation for those guys who have to wait a long time before getting the pass-around Tuktu Ex: Order one now!     :thumbsup:

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
I've never owned a custom bow,  but I've always thought that if I ordered one it would be a Caribow.  Just amazing how beautiful the work is.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2013, 03:47:00 AM »
Are you kiddin' me? This thing is rediculous! I've hardly shot this thing, and I shoot it as good or better than bows that I've got thousands of shots with! I am amazed and a believer of the static tip now for sure, and I'm a longbow guy!!!  Happy Thanksgiving everyone. More to come.

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
I am so glad I put my order in this last april.
sounds like the waiting list could get long.

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
I have a one piece lefthanded  which I bought from the in stock list------and am thinking of ordering a 2 piece takedown as a companion bow for it.

You guys that are on the list for the pass around are in for a major treat.Start saving your pennies [lol].

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
Well, I had my turn, and now it's on it's journey to the next lucky participant. I was sad to see her leave!

Let me begin with the fact that I prefer longbows. I have shot a few different recurves, and own a shrew scout, but I have never shot a static tip before now. I have nothing against recurves, and I shoot them fine, but I've always preferred the feel, and ease of care and stringing of longbows over recurves.

Until now! Am I a complete convert? No, but I now have a desire to own and shoot a static tip recurve. There is a lot of hype around the statics, and this Tuktu is a prime example of why.

I have always been a fan of Abe's work. His bows are beautiful, and masterfully crafted. And this bow is no exception. The wood choices contrast nicely, and flow together around the shape and design of the bow well. His attention to detail, and fit and finish are excellent.

I found the two piece design to be very well made, and with a perfect fit. Once the bow is together and strung, you'll forget that it was cut in half. Truely a great design. The functionality of a take down, with the look and feel of a beautiful one piece. The beaver tail grip and shelf/strike feel great, and are also very functional. Arrows are quiet on the draw, and upon release.

I shot a variety of arrows through this bow, and it replied "is that all you got?" Lol. It shot everything well, with very little difference in flight. This is a very forgiving design!

I was also quite impressed with the cast of this bow. It is a very flat shooter, and I think one could extend their effective range with this bow as it hits very hard!

The draw is a little different than what I'm used to, as you experience more weight earlier in the draw cycle, and then it smooths out nicely for the last few inches of my 28" draw.

Now on to the details everyone wants to know. I've already  alluded to how fast it is (very!). Pound for pound, it's probably the fastest trad bow I've ever shot. Most recurves that I've shot, I've been very aware of the added limb mass twards the tips. All through the draw, and especially upon release. With the Tuktu, it's different. The bow is balanced very well, and as soon as I started putting tension on the string, I didn't feel that mass at the tips. The most noticeable difference is at release. The bow is smooth, with almost non existant residual vibrations. It is indeed smoother than some very high end longbows, and I doubt that you will find a recurve that would come close.

All of the above factors also lend themselves to the noise level. With the masterfully timed (tillered) and balanced limbs, there comes no sound. That includes ZERO string slap on the tips!  This is by far and away the quitest and smoothest recurve I have ever shot, or heard being shot. In fact, I have only heard a very few and very special longbows that were quieter. This is truely a fantastic bow!

Almost forgot the grip! I've heard the term "fits like a glove" used to describe bow grips in the past.  Now I understand what that feels like! The grip was very comfortable, natural, and repeatable for me. Something I have struggled with on a lot of bows. It's shape and feel also lends itself to good pointability and accuracy.

In summary, this bow is very well mannered, tunes easily, shoots extraordinary, is fast, very quiet, feels great, and looks amazing! And the two piece, is a great and functional feature.
What more is there to ask for from a bowyer and a bow?

Thanks again Abe! I really am greatfull for this opportunity, and look forward to doing business with you in the future.
  Paul

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
Thanks Paul
That was a very thorough review. I wish my teachers had been that complimentary, but then again I didn't build them any bows.
Abe

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »
Just being honest Abe! Lol. Thank you!

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2013, 05:55:00 AM »
Abe,

I think you might want to be coming up with a really good name for this particular bow when you get it home. So many TG hands on one bow...passed all over North America...you know?

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
I would like to publicly thank Abe for the opportunity to shoot his Tuktu Ex TD . I have always wanted to get one of Abe's bows in my hands and I finally got my chance.
  I thought that this bow would be a little tough for me because it was about 10# heavier than I normally shoot and I draw 29 1/2 in. In reality I could handle the weight fairly well and noticed no stack or finger pinch. What was mentioned by Kevin and Paul held true for me. I found the bow to fast , quiet, SMOOTH and shock free. It shot my 700 gr. arrows with ease.
 What I also like is Abe's craftsmanship.  The glue lines were tight . The finish was excellent. The connection system was smooth to operate and made no noise. This bow has it all !

It gets a Peckerwood    :thumbsup:  

Now I need a Peregrine Longbow to test.

Thanks Abe    
Bill
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
Thanks Bill for passing the bow down the line.
Abe

Offline GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
How do I get on the test list? I would really like to see this one. If Bill says it's a shooter, it is a SHOOTER!
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©