3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I could have died yesterday.  (Read 661 times)

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I could have died yesterday.
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Dang, Jason! Someone was looking out for you that time. Glad it ended with just a bruise. Thanks for posting. I think we all need a reminder now and then. It's easy to get complacent especially with equipment we use every day. I like the idea of putting the bloody arrow where the blunt goes, even if you carry the blunt, it would be a lot safer.

I need to get over and swap hunting stories again one of these days...it's been a while. Glad to hear I'll still be able to do so!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
There was an article in one of the Traditional publications a few years back (TBM or Trad Arch)addressing nearly the same thing. He actually turned and caught his arrow somehow. I think a limb drove the arrow into his thigh.

I think of how many times I've walked out at night with an arrow in one hand and the bow in the other.

I'll take a moment to think about that next time.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
It is easy to keep something like that going in your mind. It is best to thank the Lord. Learn a lesson and let it go. I had a freak thing happen to me over the summer with a kids kite that could have been a disaster.   BILL

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
Glad your ok.Maybe your experience will save someone else from worst results.

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Glad you are okay.  Scary!
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
It happens quick use care and also put on those safety harnesses when in your stands.

Offline DeerBacon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
Glad your ok. I fell on the nock end of a bowfishing arrow. Does not feel good and its a scare too!
" I got a new bow for my wife, It was the best trade I ever made! "

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Jason, I thank God for protecting you. This is a lesson we all need to take to heart. Gun or bow, when we are hunting we are using equipment that kills , There is no room for mistakes. We cannot and should not ever be distracted . I think like this when I am hunting and when I am using saws in the shop. Pay attention is our lesson and you have set forth a very good reason why.

God bless, Steve

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
I am guilty of sometimes carrying broad head arrows...no more...thanks for reminding me safety first is paramount

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Glad you're ok. That kinda stuff needs to be talked about more often, imo.........be safe out there people!

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Jason, thanks for the humility it takes to make a "confession" like this.

You'll never know, but it might just catch someone's attention...and save a life.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
That is scary just to read.  Creeps me out.  Glad you are ok and hopefully you saved someone.  I know it will wake me up.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
That is scary Jason. Those arrows can be just deadly. Two years ago in our winter league. Walking down to retrieve arrows,I saw one on the ground. I was carrying one in my hand,and as I bent over to grab the one on the ground,the nock of the one in my hand stuck in a foam backstop. As I was bending over,the damn thing went right up my left nostril tip first. It went up all the way to the arrows bushing. Man I bled,and bled. It happened in an instant. They can be just deadly. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »
I have been bowhunting since my early teens so about 30 years and nothing like that has ever happened to me, I am usually as safe as they come.

My son started bowhunting this year and just last week I told him lets change spots, he asked if he should put his arrow away or keep it on the bow in case we see something. I of course told him to never walk with an arrow out of the quiver    :rolleyes:  

One time is all it takes. Good luck out there guys and gals! Be safe.

Offline kevinbarry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
Glad you are ok.
Good enough is not and close enough never is

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
good reminder to think about everything... twice.

Offline Claymore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
Riverrat2 I have thought about things like that happening on the range. I carry mine in my hands back from the target. I guess I need to get a side quiver. I think about a lot more of these issues since getting older and having a few falls. Good post everybody.
Don Dow 37@30
HH Cougar 38@30
Hoyt Excel 38@30

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
I've coached a youth skeet team and safety was always first.

I recently attended an 8-week (once /week) archery class at a local church. They used all the standard safety rules that go with the Archery in the Schools program. After both relays have shot, the signal is given to retrieve the arrows. The first shooter pulls his arrows while the second scores. The person retrieving his arrows has to check to insure nobody is standing behind him. He pulls the arrows one at a time and places them on the floor. When all arrows are pulled, he picks them up with one hand holding the point end the other hand holding the nock end and carries them back to the shooting line.

Seemed so stilted and "over the top" and these are all target points, but I realized it's the same thing as me insisting the shotgunning kids follow every single safety rule every single second. We all get careless once in a while. If we make a habit of always playing it safe and always following all the safety rules, the time when we do something stupid, the remaining rules we didn't break usually keep us safe.

Thanks for sharing that and reminding us none of us is invincible.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
Last week my young son attended a Cub Scout camp. During the archery phase, the instructor taught them to hold retrieved arrows with both hands, arms out front, arrow parallel to the ground. This was his reason for it. I had never thought of that.
Glad you weren't hurt.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
Bladepeek beat me    :p  
He also showed a "turkey" carry??? Hand around the arrows, arm behind back with fletch face up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©