3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SE Ohio Deer Herd Problems?  (Read 437 times)

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: SE Ohio Deer Herd Problems?
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
I just got back from Morgan county and the deer movement on the farms where I was hunting was almost nonexistent. Not sure what happened other than the wind blowing 99mph constantly! There were plenty of sightings and pictures on the trail cameras until about 3 days before I arrived. A couple of the neighbors killed some nice bucks but it sounded like the movement was very limited.

I think it is just a weird year, I did notice that there are still alot of leaves on the trees and very few acorns on the ground...
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 06:01:00 AM »
My brother hunted Vinton county all last week.  Said it was really strange with almost no doe sightings but reported seeing tons of little bucks.  He missed a 150 class 8 then connected on a small spike the same morning.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 06:25:00 AM »
Private land will almost always provide better hunting than public land here. Habitat diversity and agriculture are the keys to deer production. Most of Ohio's public land is forested or otherwise 'wild', with little to no agriculture on it. It tends to support fewer deer per square mile. Then consider that a lot of firearms hunters head for public land to hunt. Throw in a bad to nonexistent acorn crop this year, and you have a recipe for seeing few deer in the mature woods.

One other thing that's happening is the weirdness of the rut. Deer sightings can go from zero to off the chart (and back) in just a few days. This is a hard time of year to get dependable hunting on any stand or location.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 07:11:00 AM »
On another thread someone posted the ODNR deer harvest statistics by week.  As of Nov6 the archery harvest was down roughly 15%. The counties I hunt were above that in terms of shortfall vs 2012.

I don't think ODNR reduced the number you can harvest on SE Ohio arbitrarily....
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
Hearing the same thing from many in IN as well. (Majority private land) Seems like in the last handful of days they are finally starting to move; I wouldn't give up just yet, it is the way it seems to be playing out this year
SWA Spyder

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
Numbers are down by me and good other places. One farm I hunt had great numbers and last year there was'nt even a deer track and this year. Apples from a tree on this property never lasted 24hrs on the ground. This year they are scattered all over and the whole area smells like apple cider vinegar.. No rubs..scrapes...ect.EHD hit my area hard. Deer found along the creek bank dead. Another county just one hour south is covered in deer.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »
In Central Illinois EHD was bad last year but the state report is it wasn't this year. The farmer I hunt on found 7 bucks and 8 does dead since spring. Also everyone I talk to in Fulton county states the sightings are way down. I think not many people call into the state so the report is not showing the true picture.

I had 4 game camera out since Oct 1st and the only buck photo showed up on Nov. 3.  I use to have around 50 to 70 photos of deer in one week from each camera. It is down to about 5 deer this year.
PBS  Member

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
:banghead:      :banghead:      :banghead:  

:deadhorse:

I feel your Pain!!

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 02:20:00 AM »
Been hearing the same story from a lot of other guys. The guys in town for the St Jude hunt experienced the same thing at my place in NE Ohio. I hunted yesterday and today and passed two small bucks and saw two does yesterday and three does this morning. There are a lot of scrapes being freshened up every day but the deer I saw were not acting real rutty.

-Brian

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 03:03:00 AM »
They are just nocturnal and breading.you'll start seeing them again next week or even this week.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©