3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Max effective range of 45lb recurve?  (Read 437 times)

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
Max effective range of 45lb recurve?
« on: November 11, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
Ok so my current bow draws between 45-46lbs and I am shooting a full length 3555 goldtip with 150 grain broadheads. I practice all at 10 20 an 30 yards. Would I get enough penetration with proper shot placement , and a razor sharp broadhead on a whitetail? Or keep my shots 20yard max? I am comfortable making a 30yard shot.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Max effective range of 45lb recurve?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
The only problem with the 30 yard shot is it gives the deer longer to react and your perfect shot may hit bone.

Other wise the equiptment can do the job.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Real Buckmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
No problem shootem!!!!!!! I have been shootin whitetails with  42lb tolke 30 yds will be a clean pass through broadside lung area. Slightly quartering away is even better.

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
what macbow said. I shoot 47lbs at 27" and it will kill them as far out as you can make a good shot. unless you catch the shoulder blade. then you're probably not going to be happy.

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
Sure, your bow is powerful enough for clean kills on whitetails out to any reasonable distance. However, a 30 yard shot is a long way to shoot at a deer, no matter how accurate you are.  The problem, like Macbow alluded to, is that at that distance, it's very easy for a deer to move enough to put your arrow out of the kill zone. Even a casual step will do it. I'm not saying don't do it, because the situation might be perfect for it, but don't expect it to be taking a shot at every deer that comes within 30 yards of you.

I noticed that in an earlier post, you said your 20 yard groups were the size of a pie plate. Based on that alone, I'd say you should restrict yourself to 15-18 yards. However, if you really want to know what your effective range is, just do a test.

Take one arrow, one with a judo point works well, and a notepad and go for a walk in the woods. Take a variety of shots, from a lot of different distances and body positions. Only step off the distances after you take the shot. On your notepad, record your distances and your result. Count a shot a hit only if it is within a feather's length of your intended target. If it's not, it's a miss. Be honest with yourself.

I'd recommend doing several sessions like this and try to take a couple dozen shots. Be sure to wear your hunting gear, and take shots from how you will be hunting. Mix it up so you aren't taking the same shot twice. Afterwards, make a chart or graph and compile your results. It will be readily apparent what your actual effective range is. Well, at least your potential effective range.

There are two very important other aspects to consider before you shoot. First is your own calmness level. Your nerves can effect your accuracy greatly. If you are shaking like a leaf, it might be wise to hold off on shooting. Hunting small game can really help with the nerves.

Second is the attitude of the animal. Calm, unaware of you, and broadside is ideal. A green light. Nervous, staring hard and facing at you is a no go. A good rule of thumb is to never shoot at a deer that is looking in your direction, no matter how close.

Remember, most whitetails shot and recovered with traditional bows are shot within 15 yards.

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
Good advice Looper

Online Timbuck2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Well said Looper.

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
What Looper said

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
I expect your set up would be lethal all the way out to the maximum that it would cast your arrow.  Probably about 180 yards.  Your only limitations is the ability to ut the arrow where you want it.  For me thats about 20 yards  :biglaugh:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
For me…..
Calm deer, 45#, 25 yards max.
With a 50#, I have killed deer at 28 yards, but it is a long flight.
20 or less is ideal.
And….. I agree with Looper….. good advice.

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
You tube has great footage of deer jumping the string. Amazing how they drop so far, so fast...
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 04:55:00 AM »
its not a question of how far the bow will kill, but how far you can. It would kill a deer at 150 yards ,if you could hit it right. Problem with long shots is like earlier stated, deer jumping the string, resulting in a miss, or worse,bad hit. Do you're self a favor and keep the distance short, and do everything possible to quiet you're bow. One more reason i like longbows, no stringslap against the limbs. I use wool puff string silencers, and heavy arrows. Happy hunting !
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
If I was a really really good shot (and I'm not) I'd be hesitant to take a 30 yard shot with a 45 lb bow. considering a deers reflexes there's just too much time for something bad to happen by the time that arrow covers 30 yards.  That said I'm sure a good hit from that bow will kill cleanly.

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
Thanks for imput guys! I have been shooting every day , and have greatly lowered my group size from pie pan to softball at 20yards, and jut a little bigger at 30. This is not a shot I would likly take, but in an opean field, with a feeding un spooked deer, just curious if it would get the job done If i did. Thanks again for the imput and not bashing the question I appreciate it.

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
I shoot 42 # @ 27 yards. My max range is 20 yards due to my accuracy.  If my accuracy was better I would shoot further, I think 25 yards would be about max.  Too many bad things could happen any further.  Also in most areas getting a clear shot any further then 25 yards is pretty hard unless you are hunting fields.  I know in the Northeast the average archery shot on a deer is 17 yards.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
Keep in mind how well you can shoot under hunting conditions.  Go sit in the your stand for several hours motionless with ALL your hunting cloths on, facemask , neck gator, gloves.....Now shivering and heart pumping with excitement shoot in a less than perfect position,  like a little off your non bow arm side.  One arrow. Threading it through visual distractions like trees and twigs.  No warm up. Are you effective at 30 yards.  Usually your ability will drop and so does your effective range.  You can kill them at that range however.  Best of luck.

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
Keep in mind how well you can shoot under hunting conditions.  Go sit in the your stand for several hours motionless with ALL your hunting cloths on, facemask , neck gator, gloves.....Now shivering and heart pumping with excitement shoot in a less than perfect position,  like a little off your non bow arm side.  One arrow. Threading it through visual distractions like trees and twigs.  No warm up. Are you effective at 30 yards.  Usually your ability will drop and so does your effective range.  You can kill them at that range however.  Best of luck.

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
A fast 45 pound recurve can have as much cast as a rather average 60 pound straight longbow with a 500 grain arrow and if one matches grains per pound a noticably flatter trajectory. Beyond ones own shooting is that the fact that deer move.  The common cliche' I hear from the local compound shooters, "It was a good shot but the buck started walking right when I shot."  The longer the shot, the more critical the shot timing becomes.  I know the question was more about the power of penetration, I know that a 40 pound recurve will blow through a bucks ribs with a 440 grain cedar arrow with a Zwicky Eskimo up front with an uphill 18 yard shot. Straight down at 10 feet from a high tree stand may have different results.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by RAU:
If I was a really really good shot (and I'm not) I'd be hesitant to take a 30 yard shot with a 45 lb bow. considering a deers reflexes there's just too much time for something bad to happen by the time that arrow covers 30 yards.  That said I'm sure a good hit from that bow will kill cleanly.
The diff between a 45# and 100# bow is going to be near irrelevant given that the speed of sound is about 1100 fps and the two bows are going to be 150 to 200 fps at best.  The reaction time of a deer is so fast that even at 10 yards they can easily be shot over when they hear the string and crouch to jump or just to get ready to jumb.

Even those near 300 fps wheel bows are no match for a string jumper.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »
Keep it close......it's much more exciting......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©