3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I did it again !!!! Buck down !!!!  (Read 1219 times)

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
I did it again !!!! Buck down !!!!
« on: November 11, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
Well guys I did it again. I am completely baffled at how it ended up and I can’t wait to share my story. This was a hunt I will never in my life time forget. It was simply awesome. I will be the first to say that without God and the wonderful guys here on trad gang I would of never gotten this buck. So let the stories begin!

It was 3 o'clock by the time I got out. My clothes were freshly smoked and we had a heavy S-SW wind that was perfect for my location. As I neared my hunting location I stopped to say a prayer. I asked the Lord that if it was possible, that he let tonight be the night I get my buck. I asked that he may gift me with a safe and wonderful hunt. I finished my prayer and kept moving. I was hunting a field corner where I had a plethora of encounters so far. With the deer trail only 10 yards away I had a great shot window at anything that might come along. I got settled in between a bush and an overgrown thorn bush and got ready.

I sat there for a long time with no movement. The winds where very heavy, with gusts over 18 mph. I saw a few squirrels but that was all. I fought hard to keep my dreary eyes open as I comfortably sat in my stool overlooking my surroundings. Finally with 15 minutes until dark I heard footsteps coming my way.

The patter of the footsteps was light and quick; I couldn’t tell what they might be. Out of the woods a red fox suddenly emerged. It was on a quick stride out into the field before I could even think. But just then I remembered Nov 10th was the opening day of fox season, I would try to get a shot if I could. I made a few squeaks with my lips and the fox made a 180 straight towards me. I raised my bow and got ready. At less than 10 yards the fox finally stopped. It was looking straight at me, wondering what my leafy form could be. Ever so slowely I drew my bow, picking a spot directly between the crafty animal’s eyes. As I released I saw my concentration had be a bit off, as the arrow flew past the fox, just clipping its ear. The fox ran 40 yards and turned around to see what had startled it. My foolish self nocked another arrow and took off after the fox, hoping for another chance. After the fox outran me by leaps and bounds I found myself standing in the middle of the field at prime hunting time, dreading that I had just scared everything within range.

So I figured I would call it a day. I packed up my stool and back pack and started on my way back to my trusty golf cart. As I entered a hay field I was taken back when I looked up to see a large buck looking at me from across the field. I found myself pinned in the open; the only cover was an amazingly sparse line of weeds that separated the hay field from the cut soy bean field. I slowly ducked to the ground in the soy bean field, planning my next move.

I pulled out my grunt call and gave a few deep grunts along with two intimidating snort wheezes. I was blown away when I saw the buck slowly start to walk right towards me. I thought to myself,"What luck, I am stuck behind practically no cover with one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen coming right at me." I took a deep breath and prepared myself. As I watched the buck close the 100 yards between us I could immediately see he was limped very heavily. His front leg was very badly damaged from something. The buck kept coming straight toward me ever so slowly. I now had just a few minutes until legal shooting hours ended. It was dark and I could only see a dark form moving toward me with a glance of antlers in the sun set when it raised its head.

The buck was now 20 yards away. He stopped and looked right at me; his eyes where burning a hole right through my leafy cover. But at last, he kept coming. At 15 yards he turned and starting walking broadside to me. As I raised my bow I asked the Lord to help me. I prayed again and again as I prepared myself for the shot. The buck stopped as I slowly drew my bow. I picked my spot and with my last prayer I released the string.

I was greeted with the sound of the deer snorting and taking off. He tripped once and then ran over the hill, his white flag raised the entire time. I couldn’t believe it , I had just missed this buck that was meant for me to have. I had heard no sound of arrow striking flesh, no sound of a labored deer, just the sound of a spooked deer run right out of my life before my eyes. I walked up to where the deer had stood and found nothing. No arrow, no blood. I thanked God for bringing me the deer I had asked for, and apologized for missing my opportunity. I accepted it as a miss and went home to think things through.

After dinner I explained to everyone just what had happened. The buck had watched me draw, jumped the string as I had shot, and my arrow flew harmlessly over its back. I figured the limping deer had tripped on its mad dash to get away from the leafy form that had spooked it. It was late out but I decided to go look for my arrow, that way I wouldn’t disturb my hunting grounds looking for my arrow in the daylight.

My Girlfriend and I drove out to where I had shot at the deer. Again we found nothing. I was making circles in the field looking for the bright orange and pink of my fletching. I was surprised when I found my arrow; broken and covered in blood.

I was immediately afraid, the blood on the arrow was thick and heavy; but I didn’t have any idea where I had actually hit the deer. While the blood looked promising I was not about to get my hopes up. I found the blood trail as it weaved through the open hay field. My girlfriend and I followed it from spot to spot. It went from being heavy spray to drops, always repeating its cycle.

I about had a heart attack when I raised my flashlight and saw a brown body and high antlers sticking out of the hay field. As ridiculous as it sounds my first thought was someone else had shot the deer. I swore I had missed that deer, even after finding my bloody arrow! My doubt quickly vanished and I was overtaken in joy as I put my hands on his heavy rack. He was an old deer, starting to decline in size. He was injured and pry wouldn’t have survived the winter. And he was BIG! My biggest buck ever and my first with trad gear. I was so happy and I thanked God so much for guiding my arrow, even in all my doubts.

He had fallen only 60 yards from where I had shot him. He had ran over a shallow hill and I never saw him go down. He had died on a full stride. I saw that I had hit him a tad forward, between the shoulder and the neck. The arrow lodged deep into him and found its mark. When gutting him I found the rest of my arrow stuck right through his heart.

Upon skinning him I found that I believe he had been shot by something in his elbow. I will know within the next day or two if there is anything lodged in the meat.

My girlfriend happens to be a wonderful photographer and took some great hero pictures for me.

I can’t believe how it all turned out. I was gifted with such a beautiful animal. It blows my mind. I have no idea why the Lord blesses me like he does but I am forever grateful for it. This is something I will absolutely never forget. My weapon was a cari-bow wolverine 59# at 28",heritage 250s with 100 grain brass inserts, and the absolutely amazing 165 grain land sharks.Thanks everyone for your help and for being such a wonderful support. This community is truly special. Thanks and enjoy, SS

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I did it again !!!! Buck down !!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
Congratulations.  Really nice buck!
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
What a blessing indeed!!! Congratulations!!!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
Congrats Brother!
You did good! Keep it up.
Charlie   :thumbsup:
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
Very nice deer
" Live long and prosper "

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
Congratulations
Inquiring minds.......

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
Great buck and indeed some very nice photos!!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
Amen, you have been blessed with a great buck, congrats!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Nice buck, and a great story. Thanks for taking us along. Did I mention REALLY NICE BUCK ?!
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
Great buck!

Great story too!

Congrats,

Bisch

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
Great stuff!!  God is good isn't He!?
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
Beautiful buck! Congrats.   :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
That's just too cool . real nice animal.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Rays Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »
That's a beautiful bow.  Oh and the buck is nice also. Congratulations.
I enjoy the woods taking game is the icing on the cake.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
Super nice !!

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 06:06:00 AM »
awesome story and buck!! way to check your shot even though you think you didnt close the deal!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 06:18:00 AM »
What a tremendous buck and a cool story! Congrats!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 06:42:00 AM »

Kind of think this smile tells the story!       :biglaugh:     congrats!

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 06:56:00 AM »
Way to go!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©