3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Food Plot Question  (Read 335 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Food Plot Question
« on: November 12, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
I plan on building a food plot, or plots, after deer season to draw and hold more deer on the property I hunt. My Q's...Do I bulid a big plot or a small plot to attract deer? The biggest I could build would be around an acre and a half. I don't know wether to do that or bulid a few small plots. The property has been timbered, so I'm getting plenty of sunlight on several small spots. Deer are just passing through, I'm trying to get them to stick around a little better. There are a few good Oak's left and a good bedding area, but thier food sources are few and far between!
Any suggestion's are welcome!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Food Plot Question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
When an area is cut over, there will soon be a natural new growth taking place that will enhance the natural food supply. Also, I would do several smaller plots using a variety of crops. If you do this, try to keep records on which locations/crops are most successful, increasing these crops yearly as you gather information. Good luck.
Sam

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
It really all depends on the location, and what you're trying to accomplish with these food plots.

The best thing for you to do, is to get your hands on some good resources like the Dougherty's book "Grow 'Em Right, a guide to creating habitat and food plots". Also Ed Spinazola's book "Ultimate Deer Food Plots".

Ed's book is packed with all the info you'll need to create food plots, while the Dougherty's book covers much more about everything, including all aspects of property management for holding deer.

Do some research, then make an educated decision on what you want to do.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
Some great info on the web about plots.  Try Bowsite for a good plot forum or just a Google search.  A lot depends on the available equipment, time and resources as to how large to make them for obvious reasons but bigger is not a bad thing as long as you have the other essentials such as water and cover.  Doing it all by hand or limited farming equipment takes a lot of sweat equity!!  Even on smallish plots.  

Soils quality is another big factor and if you want the best production having it tested and adding fertilizer and or lime etc.. may be necessary in all but the most perfect circumstances.  There are crops that grow well in almost any soil but that takes a little homework.  Clover is an easy one that is rather perennial and very low maintenance.  It is easy to frost seed as well so if you prep the areas now you can seed in March-ish and let it go.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
There is a lot of natural browse right now, but that's one of the problems, the deer have gotten really hard to pattern. This is something that I hope to remedy a little before next season. If I can get them coming to and going from bedding areas, it would help me narrow down where to put ground blinds etc...
Thanks for the input fella's!

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Do not look at it right now. Imagine it in a few years. Take into consideration the predominant wind and make your food plots small and connecting by a small section of timber for an ambush site. I would also consider the ground and how flat it is due to soil erosion.  You can also plant hybrid oaks, dunston chestnuts, crab apples, ect. In areas to attract the deer at different times. The cover and the browse is a must but you can cut trails that Buck will use for travel corridors and scrape lines.  Use the land as a canvas start painting using equipment or what you have.  Tim in NC
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 02:12:00 AM »
Depending on your deer density, and the crops that you plant, smaller plots stand a really good chance of being over-browsed, and unsuccessful. (Speaking from experience)

If you have the resources, I would recommend a large central "feeding" plot with a diversity of perennials, and a few smaller satellite "killing" plots that are planted with annuals that attract deer during hunting season and are set up with pinch points or funnels for hunting.

Best of luck! And by the way, being a steward of the land is very rewarding and addictive! Much like traditional archery.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
Check out the Quality Deer Management Association (QDMA) web site forum. Unbelievable amount of info there.

You might want to consider two 3/4 acre plots separated by cover and positioned with the prevailing wind in mind. Avoid square plots, long, rectangular plots are better for hunting and adding some curves to them gives you an advantage for stand sites, etc.

You can try strip plantings to offer variety and see what the deer in your area prefer. Stay away from beans and corn in plots that small because they will get wiped out. Grains like cereal rye, winter wheat and oats are cheap and easy to plant. Brassicas like turnips and beets are also a good choice. If you can carve out a 3 acre site, Ed Spinazola's web site has an All Season Open Area Layout plan that is one of the best food plots you could add to your hunting area.

-Brian

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
I have two places that I'm gonna work with. One is long and about 15 yards wide and the other is shaped like an hour glass. Both of these areas are no more than a half acre apiece. I was thinking more along the lines of a perennial...maybe white clover? I don't have any equipment to speak of, so it's gonna be me, my fifteen year old son, sweat and sore backs!
Thanks for all the guys, I appreciate it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©