3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ladder Stand Height  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ladder Stand Height
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
Someone asked me how I secure the brush around the stand so I thought I'd post my response here.

Many times I can just stuff the branches in the structure at the back of the stand or around the platform. Other times it takes a zip tie or some cheap electrical tape to help hold things in place. I'll also wrap a couple tarp bungies around the tree and push the branch under that. I've also used screw in bow hooks, steps or the garage tool hanging things to give me something to attach the branch to. I read where somebody used a tool holder that fit around a paint bucket and put the branches in the tool pockets. Sounded like a good idea, but I haven't tried it yet. On some of my ladder stands I will cut a piece of burlap 2'x6' and wrap it around the frame between the platform and seat, holding it with zip ties to help cover up foot and leg movement.  Leave some slack in the burlap; it shrinks in the rain.

I find a little brushing in really helps keep me from being busted in the stand.  A roll of cheap vinyl electrical tape is really handy in the woods and I keep a roll in my pack.  I buy it in a 10 pack from Harbor Freight.

Good Luck! Rick
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Most of mine are 10 - 12 feet.
Sam

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
For hogs, our stands are mostly ten footers(ladders). No need to go any higher.
I used to hunt a stand in Western NY that was only 8' high, killed four deer in four years out of it. It really just depends on what the cover is around and behind it.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
The typical 15 foot ladder stands seem high enough and you can get em cheap. I like those.
is it September yet??

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
And I don't like the cheap ones.    :dunno:   I want a platform that goes back to the tree and a seat that goes back or up so I can stand back against the tree.  I had one of the cheap stands with the postage stamp platform.  Even with my size 8 boot, my toes hung over the front and my heels off the back.    :eek:    Not for me.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
I usually go 10-15feet at most....depending on tree and what cover it may provide.  Would rather have at 10 feet with good cover than 15 and stick out like sore thumb.

I have one now with good cover to sides from smaller trees...and only used two sections of my ladder...it is 10' to platform.  Another I used full length to get to cover and it is 15 feet to platform.

Let your tree and your cover be your guide....plus I am not a proponent of nose bleeds that increase shot angle and limit kill zone visibility....

keep em sharp,

ron herman
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©